Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canada Computers

Micron 1100 2tb SSD $339

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2018 11:13 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8103 upvotes

[Canada Computers] Micron 1100 2tb SSD $339

This is the lowest price yet we have seen on this drive. Just be forewarned that SSD prices are continuing to drop, and they are forecast to go even lower in 2019. If you can live with that fact and need something now, I say go for it, these drives are fantastic.

Before anyone trolls the thread, yes, these drives have their full warranty through the manufacturer, and yes, Micron is a top SSD brand.

These drives actually have a 2050gb capacity so you're getting a 50gb bonus compared to most drives.

Benchmarks:

https://babeltechreviews.com/the-kingst ... -review/4/

Enjoy!
Last edited by SickBeast on Aug 29th, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
57 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
God bless. Thank you, @SickBeast.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Oct 18, 2016
369 posts
204 upvotes
Wow, that is a great price. Awesome $/GB ratio.

But, do we have any idea of how much prices will drop in 2019? I'd hate to pick this up now only to have it drop 50% (highly unlikely, but possible considering that DRAM prices jumped 100% from late 2015 to mid-2016).
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8103 upvotes
Mwazam82 wrote: Wow, that is a great price. Awesome $/GB ratio.

But, do we have any idea of how much prices will drop in 2019? I'd hate to pick this up now only to have it drop 50% (highly unlikely, but possible considering that DRAM prices jumped 100% from late 2015 to mid-2016).
IIRC it was forecast to drop to around half of the current cost per gigabyte.

There is also this report that it could go even lower than that:

https://hothardware.com/news/nand-overs ... s-gigabyte
Feb 19, 2017
541 posts
396 upvotes
Only $20 off the regular price. Incredible price for 2TB given the history of SSD prices, but pretty confident we'll see even much better pricing in the not too distant future.
Oct 18, 2016
369 posts
204 upvotes
Interesting indeed. That would SSD (at the lower capacities up to 2TB) almost on par with spinning hard drives.

I'll hold off for another few months to see how things shake out.

Would love to throw a 512 NVMe M.2 for my boot drive (dual boot WIndows/Linux) and a 2TB SSD in my laptop for my game library. Just not at current prices. LOL.

I'll chug along with my SSHD till then!
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
konsensei wrote: Do not believe until you see it.
What did they say about gtx 2080? 50% faster at $500-600USD. Look at what happened
Or, believe it, and make everyone believe it...such that it'll change market perspective of what good pricing is.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8103 upvotes
chatbox wrote: Or, believe it, and make everyone believe it...such that it'll change market perspective of what good pricing is.
You are making me believe things. Face Screaming In Fear
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
is it recommended to use SSDs for NAS use? i dont write alot all the time, just daily backups from laptops, and even then very little gets copied over that is different from day to day
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1443 posts
376 upvotes
Calgary
Ugh, great price but I can't justify it myself for game storage.
chroma_cg wrote: is it recommended to use SSDs for NAS use? i dont write alot all the time, just daily backups from laptops, and even then very little gets copied over that is different from day to day
Dedicated nas drives are the best bet. ie WD Red imo, especially from a $/gb perspective. Some nas boxes do support both, like an additional M2 drive for cache.
Last edited by bomberman447 on Aug 29th, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
3433 posts
1386 upvotes
Scarborough
1TB for $100....micron...likely?
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
Samwfive wrote: 1TB for $100....micron...likely?
Matter of time.

We are a civilization that came from punched cards in our computing history...
Oct 18, 2016
369 posts
204 upvotes
Samwfive wrote: 1TB for $100....micron...likely?
I would say this is quite likely considering that 256GB SATA SSDs are now available for around $90. And, they're still overcharging by quite a bit. The report from Hot Hardware suggests dropping prices to near-cost levels ($0.08/GB) but I'd say even with some margin at $0.10/GB, a 1TB at $100 is a reasonable prediction/expectation.

Whether that happens now, and when, or more importantly for how long, we will wait and see.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
chatbox wrote: We are a civilization that came from punched cards in our computing history...
You understand.

We're building a better life, one computer component at a time.

Keep an eye out for the Samsung 970 Pro 512gb at $250 or less during Black Friday, folks.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Apr 1, 2009
674 posts
978 upvotes
Winnipeg
I should hope so, 250 for a half gig is pretty rich at this point regardless of miniscule improvement on specs...
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
100 wrote: I should hope so, 250 for a half gig is pretty rich at this point regardless of miniscule improvement on specs...
Normally yes, but the Pro is an extremely solid offering.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26013 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
Gah...been sitting on a 1TB SSD for an embarrassingly long time to breathe new life into an almost 10-year-old iMac and now here I am contemplating double the storage!

You'd normally have to get a few drinks in me before I would think about something like this, but upgrading (read: disassembling) an iMac is something you only want to do once, so in this context, there's certainly some merit to the phrase "go big or go home"!
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4327 posts
437 upvotes
Calgary
toguy wrote: Gah...been sitting on a 1TB SSD for an embarrassingly long time to breathe new life into an almost 10-year-old iMac and now here I am contemplating double the storage!

You'd normally have to get a few drinks in me before I would think about something like this, but upgrading (read: disassembling) an iMac is something you only want to do once, so in this context, there's certainly some merit to the phrase "go big or go home"!
My 2011 iMac 27” wasn’t that challenging to remove, but it’s really not something I want to do more than once, as the cabling and connections are quite fragile. I bought a 240gb Kingston ssd in 2012 for $450. $339 for 2tb is enticing if you need the storage now. 1TB Samsung 970 NVMe is about $450 right now, but much faster performance on paper.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)