• Aug 16th, 2017 4:51 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5134 posts
1214 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
stmarks wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 4:07 pm
Computer newbie question here: I'm running a T430s with Windows 10 with the hard drive that it came with. I want to upgrade to this SSD. I don't really care to clone the existing drive, as my data and photos etc. are all in the cloud anyways, and I don't want to bother buying a USB-SATA cable just for this SSD upgrade. What would happen if I just took the hard drive out of the laptop and plugged in this new blank SSD? How would the SSD get Windows installed? Thanks.
You would have to download the Win10 iso from the Microsoft website and put in onto a usb stick. From there you would then install your SSD in place of the spinner HD and have to boot the computer with your USB drive in its USB port. The install process will happen from there as it will install the necessary files from the usb drive.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
May 2, 2016
83 posts
54 upvotes
stmarks wrote:
Computer newbie question here: I'm running a T430s with Windows 10 with the hard drive that it came with. I want to upgrade to this SSD. I don't really care to clone the existing drive, as my data and photos etc. are all in the cloud anyways, and I don't want to bother buying a USB-SATA cable just for this SSD upgrade. What would happen if I just took the hard drive out of the laptop and plugged in this new blank SSD? How would the SSD get Windows installed? Thanks.
Download (your version of) windows 10 (install software) from microsoft and put it on a USB stick, stick your new SSD in and boot off the USB to install windows.
if you have a genuine copy of windows then license details will auto carry over to your new SSD.
Dec 15, 2015
63 posts
25 upvotes
Westmount, QC
splur wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 4:09 pm
Just a heads up, I'd weary people with a YMMV for the best buy online PM. They may do it in store, but it doesn't seem like they're doing it online because it's a "door crasher" sale.
Yea I just called them to price match because my local bestbuy doesn't have it in stock. They refused the price match precisely for the above reason.
Jul 29, 2017
7 posts
GTA
Thanks for posting. Just purchased 500GB at Newegg for $209 with PAYPAL2017 discount. Including free shipping + tax.
May 22, 2015
12 posts
1 upvote
Montréal, QC
Thanks, also got it with the coupon but it was 194.24$ taxes included + the free shipping.
Mar 15, 2011
328 posts
192 upvotes
FrostyWinnipeg wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 5:51 pm
ME will say one day sale probably or take 24hrs to respond.
Sadly just got denied. At least they were quick lol
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21520 posts
2328 upvotes
crimsondr wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 3:26 pm
Isn't this one of the fastest SSDs available in this form factor?
You are confusing Evo and Pro.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1315 posts
336 upvotes
BC
stmarks wrote:
Although you don't want to buy a USB-SATA adapter cable just for this, if the original drive is still good, you can continue to use the USB adapter with the original drive for backup or portable storage. You can get them on ebay for like $10-15.

Personally, it takes hours/days to get my Windows tweaked just the way I like. I would definitely spend $15 and 30 minutes of my time cloning the drive than doing a complete reinstall.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2346 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
stmarks wrote:
Your laptop has windows 7 key imbedded in the BIOS and since you upgraded to Windows 10, key should been upgraded at Microsoft side so shouldn't be any problem. Download windows 10 from Microsoft and install it.

Another recommendation is buying msata samsung 250gb version as you either have 16gb cache msata already or slot is empty. This way, you can use msata ssd as primary drive and use existing HDD as data drive.