Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canada Computers

Sony RX100 MK1 399$

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2018 10:59 am
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
AncasterRFD wrote: I bought it on sale, and lost $100 + taxes when I sold. so it’s like I rented for better part of the year. Lucked out because it was right before the RX100V announcement.

Canon really does retain value, I bought used 6D’s and L lenses I’ve broke even, made a bit or lost a little.
It's likely because of the huge shift in the Canadian dollar. We have the bizarre situation that a lot of photography gear bought prior to 2015 has actually increased in value, due to the plummet of the Canadian Dollar and all the Camera manufacturers raising their prices.

It's also why we get bizarre things like the RX100 mk1 still selling for the same price it did over 3 years ago.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Kurtz7834 wrote: It's likely because of the huge shift in the Canadian dollar. We have the bizarre situation that a lot of photography gear bought prior to 2015 has actually increased in value, due to the plummet of the Canadian Dollar and all the Camera manufacturers raising their prices.

It's also why we get bizarre things like the RX100 mk1 still selling for the same price it did over 3 years ago.
That definitely contributed to when I made money selling my Tamron 24-70 2.8, although this was happening when our dollar was good too. Buy low, sell high(er). The Canon name is ubiquitous to photography, there's a large user base and subsequently a large resale market, even though lots of people buying ML these days. It's harder to find good ML lenses on kijiji, they're just not as abundant.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
AncasterRFD wrote: That definitely contributed to when I made money selling my Tamron 24-70 2.8, although this was happening when our dollar was good too. Buy low, sell high(er). The Canon name is ubiquitous to photography, there's a large user base and subsequently a large resale market, even though lots of people buying ML these days. It's harder to find good ML lenses on kijiji, they're just not as abundant.
All the pros are basically using Canikon, which is why the higher end stuff holds its value.

At the bottom end (intro level stuff) you can get super cheap deals on Canon and Nikon stuff, especially this time of year when it's really a buyer's market on Kijiji.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2960 posts
632 upvotes
I made alot of money off used camera gear. Even to this day if you spend the hours of time surfing ads there is a ton of deals to be had. Typically Buying and selling anything is profitable if you are patient enough.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: That definitely contributed to when I made money selling my Tamron 24-70 2.8, although this was happening when our dollar was good too. Buy low, sell high(er). The Canon name is ubiquitous to photography, there's a large user base and subsequently a large resale market, even though lots of people buying ML these days. It's harder to find good ML lenses on kijiji, they're just not as abundant.
This usually means you can command more if its a really good lens or body, low supply, high demand.
Kurtz7834 wrote: All the pros are basically using Canikon, which is why the higher end stuff holds its value.

At the bottom end (intro level stuff) you can get super cheap deals on Canon and Nikon stuff, especially this time of year when it's really a buyer's market on Kijiji.
I found it harder to sell off really high end Canon gear. I had a 16-35 2.8 Mark 3 listed that took two weeks to move, but I was getting non-stop lowball offers.

Luckily mine was relatively new and I was able to finally get it sold.

I was watching, and still watching another same lens on Kijiji. It has yet to sell and its a $2700 lens brand new now being listed at $2100 before any haggling.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
westnylefx wrote: I made alot of money off used camera gear. Even to this day if you spend the hours of time surfing ads there is a ton of deals to be had. Typically Buying and selling anything is profitable if you are patient enough.
I find it easier to find good deals on gear in the US, even with the current exchange and then resell it here when you're done or need something else.

The US offers way more deals on bodies and lenses.
Sep 25, 2017
70 posts
30 upvotes
winnipeg
people say that the mk1 is still good enough, but the newer ones have faster focusing, faster processing, viewfinder etc, which seems like they’d be worth it. Why is the mk1 so expensive still? Can’t justify it while owning an a6000 tbh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
rebel_rfd wrote: This usually means you can command more if its a really good lens or body, low supply, high demand.

I found it harder to sell off really high end Canon gear. I had a 16-35 2.8 Mark 3 listed that took two weeks to move, but I was getting non-stop lowball offers.

Luckily mine was relatively new and I was able to finally get it sold.

I was watching, and still watching another same lens on Kijiji. It has yet to sell and its a $2700 lens brand new now being listed at $2100 before any haggling.
Not really, your equation is missing how the low supply ML lens was obtained in the first place, losing money if bought high/new.

A bigger used market is better because there are more sellers to obtain that used lens at a lowball price. My 70-200 f/2.8II was $1700, I had several kijiji sellers to shop from at the time. I'm sure that would go for more now, new it's $2650+tx (current CAD exchange helps).

The 16-35 2.8III is understandably hard to sell at it's pricepoint over $2K because Mark II's can be had for around $1200, and pro landscapers can get by with the f/4 version.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
damngoodcheese wrote: people say that the mk1 is still good enough, but the newer ones have faster focusing, faster processing, viewfinder etc, which seems like they’d be worth it. Why is the mk1 so expensive still? Can’t justify it while owning an a6000 tbh
them MkV is $1200, so you can buy 3 of these Mk1. The pictures won't look 3X better, so you be the judge whether it's worth it. The sensor really fundamentally hasn't changed that much. It's only the Mk3 which added the viewfinder and that's still twice as much. It's all relative, after all, the chips in the newer models don't justify the 2X to 3X increment.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Aug 24, 2007
102 posts
21 upvotes
Before i left on a trip to Mexico this year i bought an rx100 mk2 off kijiji for $350. I really didn't want to lug around my dslr and lenses while traveling. This was also during the boxing day sales when i could have picked up an a6000 for a great price. What i looked at was the focal lengths that i usually use when traveling which tended to be in to 18-105 range. To buy an a6000 with a (better) larger sensor with a good 16-105 or 18-125 lens would have cost 900 -1100 by the time i priced them out at the very best RFD could offer. The rx100 series has a very good zeiss lens and a ton of features for a P&S camera. The 1" sensor allows for better pictures (ie. More captured detail) if you ever wanted to print them or crop them. I also got an adapter to put 49mm filters on it because beach vacays are better with a polarized lens . Newer versions have a better f2.8 max aperature but have reduced the overall focal length of the camera. I was very nervous about leaving behind my Sony a77II for a point and shoot while traveling, but i was very impressed at the portability and quality of photos it took, especially at night where i had much more control compared to my cell phone. Kijiji might be the way to go if you are interested in one of these, but IMO it is worth it if you enjoy photography for more than snapshots. It is a great camera that fits in your pocket. Thanks for reading.
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10991 posts
13540 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote: I have the QX100 which has the same lens and I'm not a big fan. When you zoom slightly, it's already like F3.5 or smaller.

A quick question, who has own a RX100 series camera and didn't need to use a bag to carry it? I know people say it can fit in a jacket, except in summer. I'm just curious because I always carry my cameras in a case or bag to avoid dust getting into the camera.
I've never put it in a camera bag. In the summer it goes in the pocket of my shorts or ideally my cargo pant pocket. While driving it sits in a cup holder. I’ve done this travelling through Australia in their summer and to the beach. It did collect a bit of sand, but it’s to be used. I’ve recorded video on softball diamonds and when I took it to work, I just dropped it in my “messenger bag.” Currently another parent and I use ours to record kids sports video and we both carry it naked in a knapsack or jacket pocket.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
It dings and scratches easy, your choice if you want to skin, case or soft bag it when not in use. Sand/dirt particles would be bad for the lens cover mechanism, I remember some developed a problem where it would not open all the way which is a hassle every time you turn it on/off, flicking it to correct it.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2451 posts
873 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: It dings and scratches easy, your choice if you want to skin, case or soft bag it when not in use. Sand/dirt particles would be bad for the lens cover mechanism, I remember some developed a problem where it would not open all the way which is a hassle every time you turn it on/off, flicking it to correct it.
Like the previous poster, I am carrying my RXII naked in whatever, pocket, bag, coat etc. Then decided to protect it a bit with a fake leather case and regret it. It just destroys the portability factor that makes it so useful.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
I always keep mine in a nylon water resistant pouch so lint doesn't get inside the lens barrel. Adds no bulk and I can still pull it out fast which is the key to this camera's usefulness.

kind of like these ones:
Images
  • 5025891-ATL28.jpg
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
andreid wrote: Like the previous poster, I am carrying my RXII naked in whatever, pocket, bag, coat etc. Then decided to protect it a bit with a fake leather case and regret it. It just destroys the portability factor that makes it so useful.
The only thing I had on it was a genuine Sony grip and a tempered glass shield on the screen, but I stored it in a little (Lowepro?) zippered case when not in use and during transport. On the side, I kept 2 extra batteries and a wedge.

Naked, it could be in a jacket pocket but I never put it in cup holders, or in/around hard surfaces, against other objects. It was in my hand or protected, and it looked new when I sold it. It be better if it had a rubberized coating.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Case like this:

Wedge:
(direct flash indoors is bad)
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1776 posts
572 upvotes
GTA
AncasterRFD wrote: Case like this:

Did you make the diffuser from 3D printing?

Wedge:
(direct flash indoors is bad)
----------------------------------------------------
Koodo - $45/75GB plan + $0/4gb add on - Medium Tab / Tab Plus
Freedom Mobile - Talk + Text + 50GB plan $99/yearly X2
Freedom Mobile - Talk + Text only plan $25/year
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
No, it's from a broken toy but I would encourage anyone with an RX100 to take 2 pics.

One at your subject with direct flash, and one with even just propping the flash using your finger so it bounces off the ceiling.

The effect will be like this:

Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1089 posts
104 upvotes
ive had one for a couple of years now. Great pictures. I most often leave my dslr behind now when travelling.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone.
Aug 9, 2005
360 posts
119 upvotes
I had the mk1 and it's a an amazing camera for what it is. I took that thing everywhere because it fit in my jacket or pant pocket. I now have the mk2 and it still goes everywhere with me.

I have a P10 Plus as a phone... it does a great job for some photos, but I'll still whip out my mk2 when the situation calls for solid sensor and aggressive lowlight photos.

Though, after saying that, I should probably use my DSLR more. My D7000 needs some love. But, the portability is why I always have the RX100 with me at almost all times.
---------------------------------
If you are talking to someone, then suddenly turn your head to the side while still talking... they'll turn and look the same direction you're looking at... LMAO it's GREAT lol so many people do that lol, especially if you do a double take lol, try it out :D