• Feb 2nd, 2019 4:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11812 posts
6109 upvotes
Toronto

[Canada Computers] Trendnet Powerline wifi kit - Reg $179.99, now $99.99

Hi, I think this is a hot deal if you are in the market for powerline adapters. I created a thread about a wifi deadspot in my home and someone suggested powerline. I found this one at Canada Computers, although it is limited stock, I got one yesterday. There is one left at the Etobicoke location for sure.
tlpl.JPG
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
56 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1286 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
My two cents. I am using powerline adapter for a while but I would think a Wifi Extender/Repeater should have same effect and much cheaper.
Jul 20, 2018
237 posts
152 upvotes
jurassic98 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:21 am
My two cents. I am using powerline adapter for a while but I would think a Wifi Extender/Repeater should have same effect and much cheaper.

Doubt it. Depends on what you're doing but I have a feeling that I may have been the one who mentioned the powerline in his thread yesterday. He wants to connect his ps4 downstairs. Powerlines are going to be the best option for what hes wanting to do.

I've tried the wifi extender in my place before I got my powerlines and I was trying to hook up my ps4 as well. The extender gave me a bit of a stronger signal but wifi on ps4 is just terrible. I would have signal swings from like 1 bar to 3 bar and download speeds from 5mbps- 100mbps.

The powerlines give me a consistent speed of 100mbps. Never dips and always strong. For gaming it's a no brainer.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2007
1934 posts
432 upvotes
Montreal
Powerline is definitely better than Wifi for gaming, it's much more stable and constant as stated above
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2763 upvotes
Powerline ethernet has its own issues, but if you try it in your situation and it works, it can be more stable than WiFi. Newer models like this use MIMO powerline technology, meaning that they use all 3 wires (hot, neutral and ground) to establish at least 2 channels. This means that they often work better than the older models that used only hot and neutral leads, especially where you have two separated power phases in the house.

This is not a bad price for a 1200 AV2 pair with wireless extender.
Last edited by Exp315 on Jan 9th, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 25, 2010
313 posts
163 upvotes
I got a cheap one and max i can get out of it is 100Mb speeds. I wonder if it could go faster with a Gb rated one or if the circuit is the limiting factor.

I know i had to try a bunch of outlet Combinations to make it work, the best i could get from basement to 1st floor was 3Mb. I had to keep both power lines in the basement and run ethernet from the powerline closest to the first level through the heating duct hehe.

These can work really well or be super slow depending on how the electrical Circuits are. Lucky for me getting a powerline drop under the room where i needed it worked out. Might not for others.

If you have coax - usually for cable tv-you can use an adapter for that instead of powerline... I forget the name though.. Might be a safer bet if there are already runs of it through the home.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2360 posts
330 upvotes
AAAAAAA7 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:55 am
I got a cheap one and max i can get out of it is 100Mb speeds. I wonder if it could go faster with a Gb rated one or if the circuit is the limiting factor.
Anecdotally, I have a Gb rated set and get 200Mb/s out of it. Can't say how that would translate to your home, but I can say getting Gb speed likely requires a perfect environment.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2004
1047 posts
183 upvotes
If you are considering powerline I highly suggest looking into MoCA instead if you have coax jacks, it is essentially as if you had ethernet. I am getting gigabit speeds and no lag, much better than wifi/powerline.
It is more expensive but so worth it.

Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14691 posts
1065 upvotes
Markham
Powerline adapters are a huge YMMV

I only managed about 4-5MB/s in my usage scenario
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1916 posts
443 upvotes
Same here. YMMV. Gotta try before you buy.

I’m my case with a latest gen 2000 “mbit” powerline, I was only able to get 3-4 MB/sec up from 1.5 MB/set from an old “500” mbit powerline.

My AC WiFi can send 10-15 MB/sec to the same corner of the house. I think WiFi extenders or mesh WiFi are the way to go here (for me).
Last edited by mr_yellow on Jan 10th, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3205 posts
1095 upvotes
Fenix wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 12:02 pm
If you are considering powerline I highly suggest looking into MoCA instead if you have coax jacks, it is essentially as if you had ethernet. I am getting gigabit speeds and no lag, much better than wifi/powerline.
It is more expensive but so worth it.

Excellent recommendation. I looked into those, but the muppet who built my house opted for only one coaxial jack on the main floor and it's in the dining room off the kitchen. I'm lucky in that I'm able to get fast and consistent speeds on my powerline adapters. It's way better than WiFi extenders or using multiple routers for me.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11812 posts
6109 upvotes
Toronto
unshavenyak wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:13 am
Excellent recommendation. I looked into those, but the muppet who built my house opted for only one coaxial jack on the main floor and it's in the dining room off the kitchen. I'm lucky in that I'm able to get fast and consistent speeds on my powerline adapters. It's way better than WiFi extenders or using multiple routers for me.
I have satellite and the cable cannot be spliced/split. Two LNB for two tvs, lol.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 25, 2010
313 posts
163 upvotes
I had the bell home mesh and it worked ok but my son always had issues gaming and this is just for Roblox, not some serious gaming. Powerline is way more reliable if you can get decent speeds
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1533 posts
1063 upvotes
Waterloo
The issue with these is they don't have automatic hand off from main router to the range extender, unlike a mess network. You're going to get signal drop and delays as your devices transition from one network to another. Another annoying thing is some times you can't even choose which one to connect to because the extender "clones" the SSID and your phone's can't switch from main router to the clone. If you're gonna drop $100 on a range extender, you might as well go with a meshed network system like Deco or Covr (which was on sale for $150-200 during boxing week). If you're going for powerline kits, go for the non-wifi version that only cost you $50.

just my 2c.