Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canada Computers

Trendnet Powerline wifi kit - Reg $179.99, now $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2019 4:03 pm
Jul 16, 2017
274 posts
300 upvotes
repatch wrote: True, but the interference only applies if you're trying to share the coax with cable TV. If you are just doing point to point on a dedicated coax line you'll have zero problems.

For less then half the cost of the cheapest MOCA I could find, well they are fantastic, they just work.
All true. ;-)
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham
Just to share an experience on Powerline network at home.

Make sure you set up a unique network name for your powerline network so that you are not inadventantly connected to your neighbour's powerline network and vice versa.

I had a personal experience that I could see my neighbour's router webpage on my laptop before I realised that he and I were both using powerline networks with manufacturers' given default network names, even our devices were of different brands.

Note: The manufacturers' given default names of powerline networks seem to be standardised so that powerline devices of different manufacturers can talk to each other without users intervention.

Plug in one powerline device to the AC wall socket. Connect it to your laptop by an ethernet cable. Use the software provided by the manufacture of your powerline device on your laptop to change the network name stored in that powerline device to a unique name.

Repeat the above steps for all your powerline devices, one at a time.

Now all your powerline devices have the same unique powerline name and will only talk to each other with the same name. Your neighbour's powerline devices cannot talk to yours and vice versa.

Good luck!
Last edited by drdtyc on Jan 21st, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 19, 2007
324 posts
263 upvotes
Guelph
repatch wrote: True, but the interference only applies if you're trying to share the coax with cable TV. If you are just doing point to point on a dedicated coax line you'll have zero problems.

For less then half the cost of the cheapest MOCA I could find, well they are fantastic, they just work.
Agreed. I just purchased and am using 4 of these flawlessly (so far). Of course, my internet connecting speed is 10 Mbps download, so the 200 Mbps limit on DECA doesn't matter to me :)
Aug 4, 2006
207 posts
107 upvotes
Burnaby
Does these new ones work with Chromecast?

I have an older av500. It has issued detecting Chromecast. I read that it blocked multi cast protocol. Has that been fixed?
Oct 26, 2016
329 posts
363 upvotes
Montreal
IStarI wrote: Does this work in condos?
I think it would depend on the wiring but works in mine :)
Jul 16, 2017
274 posts
300 upvotes
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a security camera that works natively with powerline ethernet and/or a powerline ethernet adapter that outputs POE.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8469 posts
4465 upvotes
Canuckland
Fenix wrote: If you are considering powerline I highly suggest looking into MoCA instead if you have coax jacks, it is essentially as if you had ethernet. I am getting gigabit speeds and no lag, much better than wifi/powerline.
It is more expensive but so worth it.

WAT! $240 for the pair
Nov 8, 2016
128 posts
10 upvotes
GTA
Many thanks to Fenix for introducing MOCA technology here on RFD.. I first bought DECA and after using for a month I bought MOCA (Actiontec - $240). Results of DECA were amazing. always had 90-95Mbps speed. Now using MOCA adapter and it is giving me solid ~496Mpbs as I'm on 500 Mbps package. I put my DECA adapter on sale for $50 if anyone interested. It is about a month old and works without any issue..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)