Canada customs charged custom taxes on returned merchandise through Canada Post

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 11:47 pm
[OP]
Jun 19, 2009
64 posts

Canada customs charged custom taxes on returned merchandise through Canada Post

Hi,
I make handmade accessories and sell my products to many customers in US. A recent customer had to return an item for size adjustment. The return package is currently with Canada Post. Customs Canada wants me to pay Canada Post a customs charge of almost $100. Even my customer didn't have to pay any customs when they received my parcel in US!

Any advice on how to go about this? Can I have this disputed without having to wait weeks or months? I have not picked up the parcel from Canada Post yet. I just received a note with the amount I have to pay.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3341 posts
1210 upvotes
if the item you make yourself is for sure worth under $100 then just ignore Canada post and just send your customer a new item.
[OP]
Jun 19, 2009
64 posts
the customs charge was almost $100 and the item is worth about 1000
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31105 posts
5876 upvotes
Ottawa
accesskb wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 2:10 am
the customs charge was almost $100 and the item is worth about 1000
If you are a buisness, then you need to speak with Customs to find out how to deal with them and any duties, import of export. RFD is not the place to get exact business and customs answers.
You say you have lots of out of country customers so I am surprised you have not done this yet.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3220 posts
742 upvotes
Ottawa
There's a small business section in the forums. You may have better luck posting there.
Mar 20, 2016
209 posts
118 upvotes
Vancouver
Maybe relevant:

https://w2c.ca/en/repairing-goods-in-ca ... t-customs/
https://www.unb.ca/financialservices/_r ... _goods.pdf
NDR11: Goods exported after being previously imported for repair or addition, where the value of the repair or addition is less than CAN $2,000
I think the problem is the sender had to declare them appropriately (which they may not have known about, or how to do it). You can pay the customs fee, and then use a form to dispute the charge, if you are sure you don't have to pay anything.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2331 posts
1271 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
accesskb wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:57 pm
Hi,
I make handmade accessories and sell my products to many customers in US. A recent customer had to return an item for size adjustment. The return package is currently with Canada Post. Customs Canada wants me to pay Canada Post a customs charge of almost $100. Even my customer didn't have to pay any customs when they received my parcel in US!

Any advice on how to go about this? Can I have this disputed without having to wait weeks or months? I have not picked up the parcel from Canada Post yet. I just received a note with the amount I have to pay.
If you're selling items worth $1000, then you should have already looked at the logistics of returns, collecting and remitting taxes and other elements of running a business.

This should not be a surprise to you.

The first step you should do shouldn't be a surprise, either. Contact Canada Customs on Tuesday (since Monday is a holiday), explain the situation to them and they'll tell you what your options are.

The next step is to provide your customers with more information on the return process so that they can follow your instructions so you don't have to worry about this happening again.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)