Shopping Discussion

Canada Customs make me feel like a terrorist.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2007 12:06 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 23, 2007
88 posts
5 upvotes

Canada Customs make me feel like a terrorist.

Over a couple of little shopping bags. Also, the way they handled things, and search my car, I could have actually had a bomb in the backseat. If your going to interrogate me, at least search the car properly, and not look for purchases as much as you should be looking for drugs. Am I even Canadian?
34 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1592 posts
13 upvotes
they are thinking way ahead of you, probably suspected that you are the smarter kind of terrorists that hide the bombs in brand new packages! :lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
33 upvotes
Great post. Really contributes.

You had your car briefly searched.

"interrogated" . Ya .....

As a Canadian your right is to come into the country. And that's what happened. I don't know, are you still a Canadian?

Whatever, I'm not going to change your mind anyway.
The wonderous minds of some RFDers:
nx2k wrote: so let me get this straight
if you did the crime, you should do the time?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
121 upvotes
He's complaining because they didn't tear apart his car? That's a new one.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
33 upvotes
spf1971 wrote: He's complaining because they didn't tear apart his car? That's a new one.
Trust me. It's not.
Nov 28, 2005
581 posts
20 upvotes
I see his point, their focus is more on taxation than on security.

But then wouldn't you feel more like a terrorist if they searched you for bombs/drugs than if they just searched for merchandise?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
33 upvotes
You know how I know we are tightening up across the board?

With all the complaining I hear now about being "hassled" at the border, and how everything "takes longer than usual", and how "everyone is getting pulled over".

Guess what, if they are opening up and re-assessing packages, it means they are opening up packages to check for things more dubious in nature than an Ipod.

It's just growing pains while turning into a credible enforcement agency, but people will adjust eventually.

That being said, you can't win in the public service.

If people get let go, we are a joke who are too lenient.

If we are told we are porous and it's a concern for the public, you search more and more cars, and then we are accused of "hassling" "innocent tax paying Canadians", when we "should be going after the real criminals".

Well nooo way, the majority of travellers ARE innocent!

But if someone has developed a way to determine magically who is breaking the law and isnt 100% perfectly, then I'll be the first to send them money to put it into service.

And after a little 10 minute delay, the "innocent" are on their way up the road.... speeding and what have you.

But man, we must be missing out on serious talent if all these armchair law enforcement officers can do everything 10 x better than the RCMP and the CBSA every time.
Nov 28, 2005
581 posts
20 upvotes
I don't think people would mind being searched as much if they weren't TREATED like criminals when crossing the border. I've been back and forth across the border from Montreal, Niagara, Erie, Windsor, and Vancouver dozens of times, and I remember having ONE nice CBSA official. Hell going into the States the officials are nicer to foreigners than my own government is to me.

Also, reading reports of people being told "thanks for killing the Canadian economy" when crossing back into Canada only reiterates my point. If most Canadians are innocent, treat us as such. If border officials would smile and say "I'm sorry we're going to have to search your car" instead of pointing and saying "park there" people wouldn't be complaining so much.

Everyone understands the need for security and taxes, but Canadians shouldn't have to pay taxes to listen to rude border officials.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
33 upvotes
Chief wrote: I don't think people would mind being searched as much if they weren't TREATED like criminals when crossing the border. I've been back and forth across the border from Montreal, Niagara, Erie, Windsor, and Vancouver dozens of times, and I remember having ONE nice CBSA official. Hell going into the States the officials are nicer to foreigners than my own government is to me.
Also, reading reports of people being told "thanks for killing the Canadian economy" when crossing back into Canada only reiterates my point. If most Canadians are innocent, treat us as such. If border officials would smile and say "I'm sorry we're going to have to search your car" instead of pointing and saying "park there" people wouldn't be complaining so much.
Everyone understands the need for security and taxes, but Canadians shouldn't have to pay taxes to listen to rude border officials.
Fair enough.

I personally make it my personal policy to smile when people pull up, and be respectful until you act like a prick or give me a reason to get serious.

I do work with people who are ornery and gruff for no reason. I can't help that.

That being said, I am NOT sorry that I have to search your car.

Because until that point, you have the same potential to be smuggling drugs or guns or whatever as anyone else.

So I do take control and tell people where to stand and question them. Then I do my search, and THEN I say "sorry for the delay, drive safe."

It's not our job to be greeters, it's our job to be gatekeepers. There is always room for improvement, and I'll be the first to admit that.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12181 posts
5650 upvotes
Ottawa
CBSA should send officers on courses for *soft skills*, if applicable.

They have a job to do and they should do it the right way but let's face it, the officers are normally the first point of contact for visitors coming into Canada and as they say you don't have a second chance to make the first impression.

There has been numerous complaints/vents about border officers in this and other forum, I don't think it is fair because there are always 2 sides to the story but at the same time, there are always rooms for improvement.
Nov 28, 2005
581 posts
20 upvotes
Ebola wrote: Fair enough.

I personally make it my personal policy to smile when people pull up, and be respectful until you act like a prick or give me a reason to get serious.

I do work with people who are ornery and gruff for no reason. I can't help that.

That being said, I am NOT sorry that I have to search your car.

Because until that point, you have the same potential to be smuggling drugs or guns or whatever as anyone else.

So I do take control and tell people where to stand and question them. Then I do my search, and THEN I say "sorry for the delay, drive safe."

It's not our job to be greeters, it's our job to be gatekeepers. There is always room for improvement, and I'll be the first to admit that.
good to hear, I hope I land up at your station next time I cross the border.
and that is fair, you shouldn't be sorry for doing your job, it's just a shame that all the rude officials make the rest of you guys look bad.
If people don't mind talking to border officials, I believe it will encourage the public to report suspicious activity, and make our borders even safer.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
You'll never please everybody it seems.

I appreciate the security, but then I'm the kind of person that gets ticked off when a cashier doesn't look at the signature on my credit card.

I have always found the border guards to be cheerful coming into Canada whether by car or air. I often get a "welcome home" when I land in Toronto which is really nice.

On the contrary, I have met some of the most officious pricks in the States.

I think most people just get ticked off because they used to just scoot over the border without paying duty. I'm sure eventually things will run smoothly and many people still know that even with taxes and duties we're getting bargains.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
67 upvotes
canabiz wrote: CBSA should send officers on courses for *soft skills*, if applicable.

They have a job to do and they should do it the right way but let's face it, the officers are normally the first point of contact for visitors coming into Canada and as they say you don't have a second chance to make the first impression.

There has been numerous complaints/vents about border officers in this and other forum, I don't think it is fair because there are always 2 sides to the story but at the same time, there are always rooms for improvement.
Agreed. While Ebola and cwb27 (former) are probably one of the few reasonable BSOs out there, one only needs to take a trip through YVR International arrivals to see the ugly side of the CBSA and paint every other BSO with the same brush.

I won't repeat what I've mentioned before.... other than we're not looking for the welcome mat to be rolled out to us at primary/secondary. But barking at us with questions like "Are you *sure* you're not lying?" do indeed leave a negative impression.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
121 upvotes
Ebola wrote: Trust me. It's not.
Damned if you do and Damned if you don't. I'm glad I don't work in customer service.
Feb 9, 2006
758 posts
31 upvotes
Ontario
You think thats bad, try the American boarder strip searching ya. First there dog detected drugs, pulled me over sent me in. They said they found a bag with a white substance in it, boy oh boy did they harrass me and my passenger. Was strip searched, ripped my car apart, threatened us, said they would throw us in jail, take my car away etc.. They finally told me and my passanger that the bag was full of sugar. To be fair my passanger smokes pot, she didnt have any on her, as i told her thats a big no no. So maybe thats where the dog got the the sent, and after that they were just trying to sweat it out of us because they couldnt find anything. Decided to play games with a bag of sugar.

Its funny that a week before that, on the canadian side, they found searched my car, didnt find anything. Its possible my uncle who is a diabetic put it in there but he said no he didnt. Anyways end up being late for the Police concert. Was held for over 2hrs.
May 1, 2005
360 posts
Toronto
Chief wrote: I don't think people would mind being searched as much if they weren't TREATED like criminals when crossing the border. I've been back and forth across the border from Montreal, Niagara, Erie, Windsor, and Vancouver dozens of times, and I remember having ONE nice CBSA official. Hell going into the States the officials are nicer to foreigners than my own government is to me.

I also cross back and forth many border areas and at airports.

The attitude of the border guard makes all the difference in the world. You can search my car, search me and so on. Just be polite and respectful of my property.

Even during the same search, I have had the "good cop, bad cop" thing happening. One agent very pleasant, the other a real jerk.

Like one agent telling me to park somewhere, and another screaming at me because I parked there. A professional, courteous attitude is important, at least until proven guilty of something. Any other demeanor simply makes us (Canadians) look like a third-world country that is unable to properly train our officials.

However I will say that generally I find the CBSA is doing a good job. There does seem to be a good amount of roll over in the jobs at my main crossing which I have been curious about. I wonder why they are unable to keep the same people in place for long periods of time.

Like in many situations, it only takes a few unprofessional agents to make the rest look bad.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2893 posts
53 upvotes
Quick question.. in terms of ways to minimize security threats coming across the border..

Doesn't customs have those gigantic X-ray machines etc.. that can scan a whole car?? I think they have that for the 16 wheelers right?? I might be mistaken..

Don't know if they have it implemented already or not.. but aside from just "scanning" plates to determine the amount of time in leaving the country... why not have these gigantic x-ray machines, where every time a car drives up to the booth.. they get scanned? And the officer while questioning the passengers in the vehicles can quickly determine whether or not they need to be tax'ed/dutied .. or searched? Based on the images etc etc, say you see the masses of bags n items in the car.. etc..

I think they already have this kind of technology, don't know if its being used or not though..
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
2775 posts
1634 upvotes
SW Ontario
they do have some kind of machine on the U.S. side - my husband is a truck driver, and had to take over a load of kitty litter - which, as it turns out, contains a substance that the machine's detectors pick up on - which then sets off alarms, and next thing one knows, one is surrounded by police cars with their lights flashing, cops yelling "OUT OF THE TRUCK", and one is almost crapping one's pants :D

they made him open the back of his truck, and the officers surrounding him each had their hands on their gun holsters

he had quite a story to tell when he got home. ROFL
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
33 upvotes
Rx-87 wrote: Quick question.. in terms of ways to minimize security threats coming across the border..

Doesn't customs have those gigantic X-ray machines etc.. that can scan a whole car?? I think they have that for the 16 wheelers right?? I might be mistaken..

Don't know if they have it implemented already or not.. but aside from just "scanning" plates to determine the amount of time in leaving the country... why not have these gigantic x-ray machines, where every time a car drives up to the booth.. they get scanned? And the officer while questioning the passengers in the vehicles can quickly determine whether or not they need to be tax'ed/dutied .. or searched? Based on the images etc etc, say you see the masses of bags n items in the car.. etc..

I think they already have this kind of technology, don't know if its being used or not though..

Yes there are gamma x-ray trucks. CBSA does not currently have any stand alone gamma xray machine thats cars can drive through. To my knowledge anway..

The problem with the gamme ray machines is they require a crew of at least 3 to operate. The car has to sit stationary while a driver moves the truck slowly to complete the scan. Another officer has to view and analyze the scan, while a third officer has to babysit the passengers of the truck or vehicle while the scan is going on.

It takes at least 5 minutes for each scan, to get the complete image and anaylze it. The anaylsis itself is an art.. when looking at vehicles you have to know where different things are on different models, so you don't jump the gun and tag one mass as suspect when all it is , is a muffler ( bad example).

While I would like to scan every car, I honestly think your idea is a good one, there just isn't the :

a)Funding - To outfit every crossing / lane with one who cost a fortune.

b)Staffing - To maintain and operate the system

c)Desire - From both an adminstrative and public opinion point of view. Look at all the threads in these forums, people are up in arms over taxes assessed on things they ordered from the comfort of their home, or how CBSA makes them feel like a criminal by searching their car. Just imagine if they had to wait in line that extrra 5 minutes for every car, I'd need more than Soft Body Armour and a sidearm, I'd need a tank to protect me from all the flak we'd get.

To answer your original question : Yes the x-ray trucks are used regularly on transport trucks, and on larger personal vehicles.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2006
1227 posts
216 upvotes
What are the duty/tax fees you have to pay? Like, what's the formula to calculate it?

Also, couldn't you in theory even if you're searched just take your purchases out of their retail packaging and put them in a backpack or something as if they were used and they can't force you to pay taxes on it?

I rarely, if at all, cross the border - just curious what kind of fees/duties you pay and how you go about calculating those.
Holdin' it down like a fat kid on a see-saw.