[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5315 posts
1929 upvotes
redflagdeals.com

Canada files WTO trade complaint against the US; prepares for NAFTA exit

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/10/canada- ... urces.html
Government sources told Reuters they increasingly expect the Trump administration to announce its exit from NAFTA.
Reuters said the two sources expect the U.S. to pull out around the time negotiators meet in January for the final round of talks to modernize the treaty.
Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada- ... -1.4480738
Canada has launched a wide-ranging trade dispute against the United States, challenging Washington's use of anti-dumping and anti-subsidy duties, according to a World Trade Organization filing dated Dec. 20 and published Wednesday. Canada appeared to be mounting a case on behalf of the rest of the world, since it cited almost 200 examples of alleged U.S. wrongdoing, almost all of them concerning other trading partners, such as China, India, Brazil and the European Union. The 32-page complaint homed in on technical details of the U.S. trade rulebook, ranging from the U.S. treatment of export controls to the use of retroactive duties and split decisions by the six-member U.S. International Trade Commission.

U.S. trade representative Robert Lighthizer issued a rebuttal calling Canada's case an "ill-advised attack on the U.S. trade remedies system."

"Canada's claims are unfounded and could only lower U.S. confidence that Canada is committed to mutually beneficial trade," Lighthizer said in a statement. "Canada is acting against its own workers' and businesses' interests. Even if Canada succeeded on these groundless claims, other countries would primarily benefit, not Canada," he said.

Under WTO rules, the United States has 60 days to try to settle the complaint, or Canada, which sends 75 per cent of its exports to the United States, could ask the WTO to adjudicate.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
188 replies
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32103 posts
8363 upvotes
GTHA
NAFTA withdrawal letter could be negotiating ploy by Donald Trump
https://globalnews.ca/news/3958098/naft ... ald-trump/
A NAFTA termination letter from U.S. President Donald Trump could become the ultimate sleight of hand from Washington as it seeks to gain negotiating leverage over Canada and Mexico in talks to update the 24-year-old trade pact.

While such a letter would start a six-month exit clock ticking, the United States would not be legally bound to quit the North American Free Trade Agreement once it expires.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8579 posts
325 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:50 am
NAFTA withdrawal letter could be negotiating ploy by Donald Trump
https://globalnews.ca/news/3958098/naft ... ald-trump/
It doesnt matter if its a ploy or not. Trump is crazy and there is no negotiating with him. We cant allow ourselves to get extorted.

We have to be prepared. Best we can do is talk to the states and go around him. There will be a cost but its better in the long run.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1878 posts
612 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
If he pulls out of NAFTA, Canada will take a huge hit.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6268 posts
1421 upvotes
This is stupid on Canada's part.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3456 posts
1263 upvotes
The original intention of Trump was always to with draw from NAFTA, since it has too many balanced provisions that isn't tilted towards America's favor. Like a rat on a cartwheel, after Mexico and Canada gets tired and demoralized, and Trump exits from NAFTA anyways, Trump will suddenly show up with a 'better' proposal, and of course everything will be what Trump wanted, and Mexico and Canada will rush to sign it.

It's a really, really mean plan what trump is doing. I don't see Canada or Mexico willing to not sign the next agreement put up by Trump.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18066 posts
1586 upvotes
Niagara Falls
It's interesting that in this filing they include grievances from other countries. I wonder if Canada worked out a deal with those counties so that we look like the bad guy to the U.S. but in return things open up for us in those countries.

We are in a very difficult position. The U.S. is the powerhouse in NAFTA and its not even close unfortunately, so if the U.S. wants out or wants to alter the arrangement, there isn't too much we can really do about it.

I think Canada has been civil about the negotiations and from our articles (although I'm sure bias) the U.S. has been asking for some outlandish requests. I don't think this is out of the ordinary as you should ask for the moon and see what you can get but from what I've read, our negotiators aren't entirely sure the U.S. is willing to actually negotiate.

I guess we'll find out at the end of the month if this has anything to do with NAFTA negotiations or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3458 posts
1152 upvotes
Mississauga
“I am altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it any further.”
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13764 posts
1297 upvotes
Having a decentralized global currency would go a long way to leveling the playing field here.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
443 posts
89 upvotes
If NAFTA goes, Canada goes into an insta recession. Considering we trade very little with other countries, we may inch towards a 3rd world country.
Make the Trudeau drama teacher again!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7293 posts
243 upvotes
Should have looked into a bilateral deal with the US when Trump was telling everyone that's what he wants. Instead we stuck with Mexico and now Mexico is throwing us under the bus and a deal with the US looks unlikely.

This WTO complaint will likely hurt Canadians more than it helps them as it helps foreign countries that compete with Canada for access to the US economy. That might be Trudeau's angle though as he is a globalist focused on the world and his future at the UN and not on the well being of average Canadians.
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32103 posts
8363 upvotes
GTHA
poleman wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:45 pm
If he pulls out of NAFTA, Canada will take a huge hit.
If the United States pulls out of NAFTA negotiations, what does it mean for Canadians? One expert says our economy is at stake, but it could also spur a new deal.

A 7-step guide to what happens if Trump starts NAFTA pullout
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/01/11/nafta-pullout/
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5315 posts
1929 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
I wish Kevin O'Leary was the Prime Minister.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"