Off Topic

Canada files WTO trade complaint against the US; prepares for NAFTA exit

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2018 8:57 pm
Jan 29, 2017
630 posts
540 upvotes
Every country would lose. Mexico most then Canada then USA. Not surprising to see US play hardball as they hold the most leverage. Canada has been taking the easy ride on US tail for too long. Time to pay.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17000 posts
1827 upvotes
Montreal
poleman wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:48 pm
The four southern states that trade heaviest with Mexico probably includes guns for drugs.
WTf is Nevada exporting to Switzerland? Strippers?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4591 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
peli33 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:23 pm
Every country would lose. Mexico most then Canada then USA. Not surprising to see US play hardball as they hold the most leverage. Canada has been taking the easy ride on US tail for too long. Time to pay.
um... what?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1137 posts
597 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, there goes our economy. We Canadians should be preparing to bend over to an extent never before seen.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2013
6139 posts
1077 upvotes
LoL ...I told you Canada was finished ...no trade deals with both the world's two largest economies !
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7701 posts
597 upvotes
I think everyone is overreacting a bit too much. The real question, is what areas will be hit and which one's won't...just like in US and Mexico.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27556 posts
1851 upvotes
Winnipeg
poleman wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:45 pm
If he pulls out of NAFTA, Canada will take a huge hit.
so will the states and mexico, trump is all talk anyways, just watch the senate block him.
Nov 8, 2017
112 posts
34 upvotes
I can see NAFTA being scrapped to get rid of Mexico, and then a bilateral agreement between the U.S and Canada like it was before.
It's kinda dumb having a trade deal with a 3rd world almost failed state like Mexico. Cheap labour and other cost of business. Not a level playing field.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
199 posts
38 upvotes
divx wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:26 am
so will the states and mexico, trump is all talk anyways, just watch the senate block him.
He did pass the tax legislation which the largest overhaul in American history. The so called Muslim ban also sticks even though it's a slightly water-downed version. It seems like he has more influence than anyone is willing to give him credit for. We need to take him seriously. Otherwise with NAFTA gone, Canada is going to turn into Mexico 2.0.
Justin Trudeau - bankrupting Canada since 2015. And M103 my ass.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
199 posts
38 upvotes
User455957 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:55 am
I can see NAFTA being scrapped to get rid of Mexico, and then a bilateral agreement between the U.S and Canada like it was before.
It's kinda dumb having a trade deal with a 3rd world almost failed state like Mexico. Cheap labour and other cost of business. Not a level playing field.
Agree thats what we should have done in the first place. Trump even said that he wants bilateral deals. He doesn't want packaged deals. But selfie boy didn't want to offend Mexico so here we are on the brick of a recession if NAFTA goes.
Justin Trudeau - bankrupting Canada since 2015. And M103 my ass.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
5631 posts
173 upvotes
clueless people suggesting there would be no more trade between countries if they didn't have one of the many trade deals anymore....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6771 posts
807 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:06 pm
Well, there goes our economy. We Canadians should be preparing to bend over to an extent never before seen.
by never before seen, you mean 1994? lol

Trump has to file intent to pull out of Nafta -> 6 months after they have to pull out

This will put a halt to a major section of the Canadian economy.

It will also destroy the States economy, especially in the short term.

If you think Canada will "suffer" while US will be "ok", you're dreaming. The most screwed will, of course, be Mexico.

Also, for NAFTA to actually be killed, US Congress has to also ok the action, which, good luck, given who lines up their pockets.

The kill NAFTA thing is a cheap ploy, and a dumb one at that. Cut of your nose to spite your ear, at least in terms of Canada-US trade.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6771 posts
807 upvotes
EdT586 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:27 pm
LoL ...I told you Canada was finished ...no trade deals with both the world's two largest economies !
what are you smoking? Canada's west coast basically China's backyard sandbox.

no trade deal, ha.

I'm guessing you mean no "Free trade" deals...which...Thank God!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7701 posts
597 upvotes
Seriously, these people have to look beyond just how Canada is done....

I get the feeling that regardless of what happens, Trudeau would have been blamed. Get the deal done, blamed, don't get a deal blamed.