• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2016 2:56 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
UrbanPoet wrote: I was watching some news segment... IT showed a CFL player who works @ TD part time as a bank teller. I guess they need to make ends meat when they aren't playing their 1 game per week during the season and training!
Calgary Stampeders running back Jon Cornish

The CFL’s Most Outstanding Player Moonlights as a Banker
It’s not uncommon for Canadian Football League players to hold offseason jobs, just like their NFL counterparts from decades past. For Calgary Stampeders running back Jon Cornish, it helps prepare him for life after football
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/26/cfl-offse ... stampeders

Canadian Football Players 'Other' Jobs
http://www.monster.ca/career-advice/art ... other-jobs
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
markom wrote:
kevindurant1 wrote:
No Canadian city can afford to have an NFL team.. So you might as well support the CFL.

To have an NFL team the city/province have to fork out money for a stadium. It will be in the billions. Wont happen anytime soon. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
I believe you would have no trouble finding investors for a team in Toronto. Stadium would be a question mark for sure but a team could play short term at Rogers Center which meets minimum NFL seating capacity. Not only Toronto is a huge market but they could count on support from all over Canada as "Canada's team" just like Blue Jays. If there is no team in Toronto it would be for non-financial reasons.
Yes you would have a problem finding an investor. Remember NFL stadiums arent paid for by the owners/investors. It is paid by the taxpayers.

The city wont cough up $2-3+ billion dollars. Wont happen anytime soon. They cant even figure out what to do with that beat up gardiner and the 401 congestion.

NFL wont look at your city if no stadium like that exist. I highly doubt the NFL would settle for rogers center for the "meantime". This is the NFL, bro. Face With Tears Of Joy

So its not about those reasons you said. Thats why no one is talking about it except for hardcore NFL fans in Toronto because its useless to talk about it.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: I was watching some news segment... IT showed a CFL player who works @ TD part time as a bank teller. I guess they need to make ends meat when they aren't playing their 1 game per week during the season and training!
Yeah they dont get paid much. I think they get paid 30k-50k. The perks are probably nice though and they can still follow their dream of going to the NFL.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
kevindurant1 wrote:
Yeah they dont get paid much. I think they get paid 30k-50k. The perks are probably nice though and they can still follow their dream of going to the NFL.
This CFL player was not working at the TD bank to make ends meet, he wanted to use his free time more effectively.

"While Cornish would not reveal his salary, the eight-year veteran emphasized he doesn’t need the extra income from working in a bank to make ends meet. He interviewed for the job in January 2013 at the insistence of his girlfriend’s father. Before that, Cornish said he “played way too many video games” and knew he could use his free time more effectively. As his college coach Mark Mangino tells it, Cornish preferred to hang out “in academic circles” rather than with teammates at Kansas. He majored in psychology, minored in women’s studies, and was often spotted reading books at the training facility."
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/26/cfl-offse ... stampeders
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
kevindurant1 wrote:
Minimum salary in CFL is around 50K while average appears to be 80K. Not bad and playing pro sports for a living sounds nice but is it worth the broken bones and concussions? Careers aren't long either.

Not sure how reliable the following article is but apparently CFL used to pay more than NFL 35+ years ago -> http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Gregor+n ... story.html
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
markom wrote:
kevindurant1 wrote:
Minimum salary in CFL is around 50K while average appears to be 80K. Not bad and playing pro sports for a living sounds nice but is it worth the broken bones and concussions? Careers aren't long either.

Not sure how reliable the following article is but apparently CFL used to pay more than NFL 35+ years ago -> http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Gregor+n ... story.html
We dont really know how accurate it is but we know its in that ballpark just by looking at the cap. Some teams are more financially succesful than others.

Cap is 5.1m / maximum of 44 players.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/04/25/cfls-salar ... -2015-cap/

http://www.cfl.ca/game-rule-ratio/

If a star gets paid 100k-150k. You wont need a side job, even if you have a family. Most arent stars so lets say its 50k-80k. I guess it depends if you have a family and your spending habits but you can definitely live on 50k by yourself and just focus on football.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Regarding concussion and broken bones, if you have a chance to play pro ball, athletes at that level usually won't think twice about it. After a couple injuries is when they think about the risk versus reward.

And yes, the CFL were able to compete with the NFL for players back in the 70s. Joe Theismann comes to mind. Keep in mind that the dollar used to be on par, as well. I don't follow NFL to know when they started going stratospheric in popularity, but the CFL was pretty big in Canada back then, and peaked around the mid-80s. They went downhill from there, whereas the NFL kept getting bigger.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Regarding concussion and broken bones, if you have a chance to play pro ball, athletes at that level usually won't think twice about it. After a couple injuries is when they think about the risk versus reward.

And yes, the CFL were able to compete with the NFL for players back in the 70s. Joe Theismann comes to mind. Keep in mind that the dollar used to be on par, as well. I don't follow NFL to know when they started going stratospheric in popularity, but the CFL was pretty big in Canada back then, and peaked around the mid-80s. They went downhill from there, whereas the NFL kept getting bigger.
I think it was late 90's early 2000's when they started leaving everybody. NBA and MLB was still competitive in the mid 90's.

Man, 90's was the best decade ever. The amount of legends in every sport during that time was unbelievable.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6902 posts
586 upvotes
GT'eh
coming soon stay tuned,

people said we'd never get an NBA team and look at what happened.
Who knows maybe they could NFL & CFL could work together and turn CFL into a D-league, they already have lots of retired and has been NFL players.
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h <0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<h lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: rFD | 500+
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Neovingian wrote: coming soon stay tuned,

people said we'd never get an NBA team and look at what happened.
Who knows maybe they could NFL & CFL could work together and turn CFL into a D-league, they already have lots of retired and has been NFL players.
The skill set required to succeed in the cfl and nfl is way too different to make it a developmental league. A retired vet with professional experience is 1 thing...a kid fresh out of college is much better off on a practice squad.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that they are very different.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3470 posts
728 upvotes
GTA
we almost bought the bills a couple years back but it was a shit show and looks like it will never happen.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2583 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
jarko wrote: we almost bought the bills a couple years back but it was a **** show and looks like it will never happen.
Yes that was the last sale of an NFL team and the sale price was 1.6 Billion USD If i remember correctly.
So someone would have to come up with 3 Bil to land a team and build a stadium. We had the Bills in Toronto series and the response was underwhelming so that did not make us look great in the eyes of the league.

The only positive thing now is that Los Angeles was always first in line to get a team via relocation and that has finally happened, so the next time a team comes up for sale/relocation Toronto should have a better chance. The last 2 attempts to purchase a team, the Bills 2 yrs ago and the Rams about 6 years ago were obviously not successful.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6902 posts
586 upvotes
GT'eh
Toronto actually has a better chance than most people think, the T.O & the GTA as a whole,
3rd or 4th largest city in North America, has more wealth and better business prospects than most US cities, look at the numbers.
As far as stadium go look up what Rogers got the skydome for, chump change.

If the money and deal is right Toronto will get a team.
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h <0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<h lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: rFD | 500+
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Biff88 wrote:
jarko wrote: we almost bought the bills a couple years back but it was a **** show and looks like it will never happen.
Yes that was the last sale of an NFL team and the sale price was 1.6 Billion USD If i remember correctly.
So someone would have to come up with 3 Bil to land a team and build a stadium. We had the Bills in Toronto series and the response was underwhelming so that did not make us look great in the eyes of the league.

The only positive thing now is that Los Angeles was always first in line to get a team via relocation and that has finally happened, so the next time a team comes up for sale/relocation Toronto should have a better chance. The last 2 attempts to purchase a team, the Bills 2 yrs ago and the Rams about 6 years ago were obviously not successful.
The Pegulas paid $1.4B...only off by small $200M
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2583 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote:
The Pegulas paid $1.4B...only off by small $200M
$200M...pocket change in todays world of big buck sports franchises I tell you!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6902 posts
586 upvotes
GT'eh
With all that foreign money flowing, corrupt officials + inflated housing prices, T.O has more money than most US cities, they need to look at the numbers again and give us our NFL team before I retire.
and Cas, you are right some of the best US college football teams would crush most CFL teams, the D league could be a mash up of both. It all comes down to money.
Ne0's Bio:
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Neovingian wrote: you are right some of the best US college football teams would crush most CFL teams
I wish this were true because it would mean more talent in the CFL. Well, I guess it IS true in the case of the 2016 Roughriders ;) .