Hot Deals

[Canada Post] Canada Post Flat Rate Boxes

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 12:29 am
[OP]
Oct 24, 2001
10 posts
76 upvotes
This whole program smells of internal Canada Post politics, where I imagine some people there would be happy if it failed. I for one love the chance to ship my ebay sales to people in Canada for less than I would have to charge for shipping to the US. :)
Nov 10, 2003
549 posts
138 upvotes
BC, Canada
For local service meh, but for across country service those rates are decent.
Too bad about the locations.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2001
10 posts
76 upvotes
T3rry wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 12:35 pm
anybody know if you have a small business account with them if its discounted at all?
Yep. Just scan your card in when you buy it, and get your discount.
Oct 31, 2014
247 posts
126 upvotes
Victoria, BC
cyberspyder wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 11:55 am
Why would I need to purchase the box? Do you not get charged when you ship it, not beforehand? Way to deviate from the norm Canada Post.
For businesses or people who ship a lot, you can just buy a few of them and keep them on hand. Drop it in a mailbox when it's ready to go and you're done.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
4650 posts
1216 upvotes
Canada
Is there something like this for USA ?
Nov 20, 2008
622 posts
118 upvotes
Markham
smallwavesteve wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 12:39 pm
For businesses or people who ship a lot, you can just buy a few of them and keep them on hand. Drop it in a mailbox when it's ready to go and you're done.
That's what I'm trying to get at, if you have businesses, that's NOT what you want to do. There's a reason boxes from FedEx, UPS and others are free. You're paying for the shipping/logistics service, at the point of shipping, not before.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
1681 posts
569 upvotes
Prince George
Not bad, but the 700 km drive to get one kind of kills the deal.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2001
10 posts
76 upvotes
cyberspyder wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 12:45 pm
That's what I'm trying to get at, if you have businesses, that's NOT what you want to do. There's a reason boxes from FedEx, UPS and others are free. You're paying for the shipping/logistics service, at the point of shipping, not before.
I have the suspicion that this is by design, as a retail level service.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5607 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
cyberspyder wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 12:19 pm
I mean, compared to the USPS Priority Mail flat rate boxes, you print out the label separately and stick it onto the box. USPS subsidizes the boxes as you cannot use the box unless you pay for Priority Mail, Canada Post should be using this model, instead of having the label already applied. This means you can't have a stockpile of boxes and pay to use it whenever, since you've already 'paid' to use the box even if it's gathering dust (from a business perspective).
OTOH, you are locking down the price against future increases. That's a big plus for me.

I use the USPS flat-rate boxes all the time. A couple of times a year they jack up the prices of Expedited shipping, so you have no price protection.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5607 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
smallwavesteve wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 12:39 pm
Right. Saves a trip to the post office too, if you use the smaller size.
Nov 10, 2003
549 posts
138 upvotes
BC, Canada
cyberspyder wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 12:45 pm
Ship more then its not a big deal.
If you can't float a couple hundred dollars in prepaid freight then you don't have enough capital to operate.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
1212 posts
272 upvotes
Two things I would like to see. More locations obviously and discount for a 2nd use (pay online) of the same box - even something small like a $1.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5607 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
cliffclaven wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 1:05 pm
Two things I would like to see. More locations obviously and discount for a 2nd use (pay online) of the same box - even something small like a $1.

How about online ordering for the boxes, since the locations are so limited?

Seems so 1980s to have to drive, park, line up, etc. to pick them up. Doesn't work for me. Time is money.

Also people should keep in mind that parcels going shorter distances are considerably cheaper using regular packaging. I pay around $10 for Business Expedited parcels going to most cities in southern Ontario and QC.

This is using a VentureOne card of course, which is free from CP.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2001
10 posts
76 upvotes
cliffclaven wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 1:05 pm
The limited locations is because its a pilot program, and reusing the box would be difficult - it assembles using peel-off glue tape and has a tear tab for opening. Similar to the USPS boxes.
Getting more locations would be good if the program is a success, but I don't know what success looks like to Canada Post.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3004 posts
413 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Hot damn! No longer jelly of the USPS. This is PERFECT timing with secret Santa coming up and all.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)