• Nov 22nd, 2017 9:31 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7219 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
willdacanucker wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 1:31 pm
Hot damn! No longer jelly of the USPS. This is PERFECT timing with secret Santa coming up and all.
You're kidding right? The USPS boxes are still WAAAAAY cheaper (the regional rate ones often even cheaper), and are a 2 day service to most places in the US. 3 at most. The CP ones are Expedited Parcel, so up to 5 day transit.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3005 posts
414 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Drew_W wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 1:39 pm
You're kidding right? The USPS boxes are still WAAAAAY cheaper (the regional rate ones often even cheaper), and are a 2 day service to most places in the US. 3 at most. The CP ones are Expedited Parcel, so up to 5 day transit.
Image After all the shafting we get as Canadians from EVERYONE, I will take what forward progress I can get. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Oct 31, 2014
253 posts
127 upvotes
Victoria, BC
cyberspyder wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 12:45 pm
That's what I'm trying to get at, if you have businesses, that's NOT what you want to do. There's a reason boxes from FedEx, UPS and others are free. You're paying for the shipping/logistics service, at the point of shipping, not before.
It's not a huge cost to float. I shouldn't have said if you ship a lot, but semi-frequently.

My office we might ship something once or twice a month. They can either pay me to drive 15 min to the post office, wait in line for 15-20 min (typical of our post office), ship it and drive back, plus pay me mileage *(currently what we end up doing)
OR
Have some of these on hand and if something needs shipping I can walk about 75 feet to a drop box and be done.

For me personally, I sell stuff on forums occasionally. Currently I need to go to the post office or wherever to scrounge up a box, figure out cost of shipping, relay that to buyer, do another trip to mail it again, waiting 15-20 min in line at the post office.
OR
I can have a few of these on hand, know the exact cost of shipping right away, and drop it in the dropbox down the road from me...
Nov 10, 2003
550 posts
139 upvotes
BC, Canada
smallwavesteve wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 2:09 pm
It's not a huge cost to float. I shouldn't have said if you ship a lot, but semi-frequently.

My office we might ship something once or twice a month. They can either pay me to drive 15 min to the post office, wait in line for 15-20 min (typical of our post office), ship it and drive back, plus pay me mileage *(currently what we end up doing)
OR
Have some of these on hand and if something needs shipping I can walk about 75 feet to a drop box and be done.

For me personally, I sell stuff on forums occasionally. Currently I need to go to the post office or wherever to scrounge up a box, figure out cost of shipping, relay that to buyer, do another trip to mail it again, waiting 15-20 min in line at the post office.
OR
I can have a few of these on hand, know the exact cost of shipping right away, and drop it in the dropbox down the road from me...
Just get a rate online. Its easy.
Nov 20, 2008
622 posts
118 upvotes
Markham
Loto_Bak wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 2:33 pm
Yeah, I don't see the problem. I have a scale at home that I use, not hard to sign up for the small business account or drop it off at ChitChat/Stallion. All the tools are available online, no real need to wait in line anymore. On the rare instance I used Canada Post, I just drop it off at the counter, don't need to wait in line since all the clerk does is scan it into the system.

The problem lies with how you ship quite honestly.
Nov 9, 2005
775 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto
Costco buying team should jump on these. Give us more places to buy and greater ticket value for Canada Post / Costco.
Oct 31, 2014
253 posts
127 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Loto_Bak wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 2:33 pm
I do get the rate online, but it changes, depending if I'm shipping to vancouver, toronto, or halifax. I also still need to come up with a box either way as well, and have to stand in line at the post office (usually at peak times) to get it sent out in a timely manner.

cyberspyder wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 2:38 pm
Yeah, I don't see the problem. I have a scale at home that I use, not hard to sign up for the small business account or drop it off at ChitChat/Stallion. All the tools are available online, no real need to wait in line anymore. On the rare instance I used Canada Post, I just drop it off at the counter, don't need to wait in line since all the clerk does is scan it into the system.

The problem lies with how you ship quite honestly.
No Chichat/Stallion or anything along those lines here, the post office is quite out of the way and they don't like you dropping stuff off on the counter. YMMV

Maybe it varies by post office/city, but this seems like a great option for at least some of us.
Last edited by smallwavesteve on Sep 21st, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2006
4623 posts
445 upvotes
Calgary
plj126 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 12:37 pm
Yep. Just scan your card in when you buy it, and get your discount.
i've never used my card :/ lol i make holiday seaosn items and got the card after last season in prep for this season...

do you know what the typical discount is?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5623 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
T3rry wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 3:27 pm
i've never used my card :/ lol i make holiday seaosn items and got the card after last season in prep for this season...

do you know what the typical discount is?
You mean the CP Venture One card? The more you spend the bigger the discount. I ship about $2,000 per year and get about 10% off parcel shipping. The discount doesn't apply to every service.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5623 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
normal3d wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 9:57 pm
Would these ship to remote areas like Nunavik?
No exclusions mentioned, so I'm counting on it!
Apr 9, 2008
410 posts
121 upvotes
Bby
normal3d wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 9:57 pm
Would these ship to remote areas like Nunavik?
Yes. I've shipped to the NWT using these boxes. Far and away the cheapest method of shipping to the north.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2006
4623 posts
445 upvotes
Calgary
Thatdealguy wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 4:18 pm
5% Discount with the business card.
thanks for the confirmation.