[Canada Post] Canada Post Flat Rate Boxes

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 12:29 am
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1762 posts
707 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
It's about time Canada Post came up with this "idea". Years ago, I asked myself, "Why don't Canada Post have a flat rate box?"
I don't regularly ship packages, but when I do, it's always a huge PITA.
i): Find a box;
ii): Measure the box;
iii): Weigh the box and contents;
iv): Try and calculate shipping via CP website;
v): Attempt to navigate the 50 options for shipping, payment and label printing
vi): Give up and drive to SDM, line up behind three people who want to buy stamps but can't decide what 'commemorative' series they want.

Even if it was so-so on price for regional shipping, I'd keep a box around just for convenience sake, just like I have stamps on hand.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2001
10 posts
76 upvotes
A while back they rebuilt the Vancouver Post office, and to be honest, its a self-indulgent concept store. This.
What I did find nice was the self-serve shipping & parcel drop off. That's something that should end up in more places, even if its just the official stores. Because just try to drop off a package anywhere on a Sunday night.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4206 posts
810 upvotes
Toronto
plj126 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 11:25 am
Its been around for almost a year now, but with the limited locations you may not have noticed them. You can ship up to 5kg, so the small box can ship all the heavy books, and it will go in the mailbox without a trip to the post office.
Note the limited locations https://www.canadapost.ca/assets/pdf/bl ... nsumer.pdf since buying plain boxes at the post office is most definitely NOT a deal...

Small $13.49 5 kg Street letter box, Post office
Medium $16.49 5 kg Post office
Large $19.99 5 kg Post office

Location PDF
good canada post, thanks OP
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1133 posts
187 upvotes
B.C.
Inno wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 11:56 am
Terrible choice of locations. In city of Toronto mostly close together in the downtown core. Why not distribute more evenly?
They don't even have locations in 4 provinces! At all!
Oct 19, 2015
247 posts
148 upvotes
Vancouver
I was able to pick a box of 10 at London Drugs in Downtown Vancouver.

With the SMB discount, it was $13.49 -> $12.82 + taxes
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2006
4621 posts
445 upvotes
Calgary
So does anybody know if you can get a refund on unused boxes? my big shipping season is starting and i don't want to have to runt o the post office every time i need a box but i also dont want to get stuck with 20 of these things all year.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5607 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
For people who are in the ChitChats Express service areas (GTA, Halifax, Montreal, Richmond, Vancouver) the 5kg rate for shipments within Canada is $17.60. So if you are using the Large CP box ChitChats is slightly cheaper. Of course lighter weights cost less, so ChitChats is cheaper still.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2015
2829 posts
14166 upvotes
BC, Lower Mainland
T3rry wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 7:01 pm
So does anybody know if you can get a refund on unused boxes? my big shipping season is starting and i don't want to have to runt o the post office every time i need a box but i also dont want to get stuck with 20 of these things all year.
no refunds after you purchased them
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2006
4621 posts
445 upvotes
Calgary
Thatdealguy wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 8:42 pm
no refunds after you purchased them
boooruns
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2255 posts
276 upvotes
Burlington
If you're in /near the GTA, check out ChitChatsExpress. Flat rate expedited across canada for $7.60 + $2/kg. Very decent deal if you're shipping very light or very heavy packages. Yes, for 5kg CC is more expensive, but well under or well over, CC beats CP.
Free Nortel tips and tricks blog, as well as second opinion on a move to VoIP (for my RFD friends).
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2006
4621 posts
445 upvotes
Calgary
So @plj126 I donno if you want to update the original post, but this is info i got from the lady at my post office, who has been there for 100 years and i am confident she knows her stuff..

#1 the boxes ARE refundable if not used
#2 the prices will be going up in January
#3 the small business discount WILL NOT apply to these anymore starting in January
#4 they will change from expedited service to standard parcel service (likely losing all of the expedited features such as insurance etc..)
[OP]
Oct 24, 2001
10 posts
76 upvotes
Well when that happens, I'll certainly update. That would suck - I'm sending out my first package to the US through ChitChats today.
Oct 4, 2017
56 posts
6 upvotes
Canada
Good because shipping heavy stuff to US can get very pricey.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2006
4621 posts
445 upvotes
Calgary
CorwinK626513 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 12:17 am
Good because shipping heavy stuff to US can get very pricey.
these boxes are domestic only

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

T-Bone, GanJa786