• Jul 31st, 2018 9:26 am
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1462 posts
713 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Inno wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:44 am
It's around $1 to get it over the border to the US post office. Of course you have to pay for whatever the US postage is on top of that.

I print my own US postage labels at home. Their rates are way less than ours. It's around $3-4 for first class up to one pound. Media mail (books, music) is around $4-5 for a couple of pounds. Priority in small boxes and packs is about half of our rates.

ChitChats Express is one company that provides the trucking service. They have locations around the GTA, BC and NS. Another company is Cross Border Pickups in Mississauga. Google for details.

P.S. CC also resells Can Post for slightly less, so if you ship a lot within Canada you can save a few bucks on every package. (Kind of like Public Mobile reselling Telus phone service for cheaper.)
For those using Chitchats, I had a quick question... first of all, thanks for pointing them out, and I just realized we have a location in Montreal, and they are not that far from my office..
For shipping to the US, using the small/medium/large flat rate boxes, do they provide them ? I know in the US, you can just order as many as you need, and they will ship you them free of charge.. Does ChitChats have them available ? Do they charge, or do you have to pre-order them ? Looking to getting back into selling some of my overstock on ebay, but CP rates are getting ridiculous. It's scary when Fedex rates are often cheaper when you factor in signature and tracking..

Worst case, I can probably ask one of my work colleagues to pick me some up, since he lives about 15 minutes from the border and goes over quite often...

Thanks in advance.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5984 posts
662 upvotes
Toronto
I think they will give you small quantities for free or very cheap, since you are a customer.

I needed a big quantity of flat rate envelopes (hundreds) and I think they charged me about 2 cents each or something.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1462 posts
713 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Inno wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 10:28 pm
I think they will give you small quantities for free or very cheap, since you are a customer.

I needed a big quantity of flat rate envelopes (hundreds) and I think they charged me about 2 cents each or something.
Thanks... small reasonable fee is fine, and understandable.. I guess I'll create my account and go pick up a small qty to start, and take it from there.
much appreciated for the quick answer.
May 23, 2014
846 posts
428 upvotes
canada
Canada post is absolute trash. Maybe stop offering volume buyers parcels shipped across the nation for 2 to 3 dollars and up at to $6-$7, then offer online sellers like eBay etc. for $10-$11. I hope they go belly up absolute garbage company and a donkey running it
[OP]
Oct 24, 2001
14 posts
87 upvotes
Surrey, BC
I was at the Chitchats in Richmond yesterday asking about the large flat rate boxes. They were charging 10 cents each.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5984 posts
662 upvotes
Toronto
plj126 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 12:09 pm
I was at the Chitchats in Richmond yesterday asking about the large flat rate boxes. They were charging 10 cents each.
If you use a lot of them you might ask what their volume price is. Since they don't "expire" you can use them years down the road.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2006
4990 posts
700 upvotes
Calgary
just bought some more smalls, the price is up to 14.99, but the small business discount still works.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1702 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
Dropped off one small package to be shipped within Canada to Stallion Express... Got a tracking number but that's where it stops. Tracking number has not been updated, appears to be with the shipper still... This was a week ago... And I've emailed them this morning and no response. I hope they didn't lose the package.
Jan 18, 2016
17 posts
3 upvotes
Edmonton
Uline.ca or shipperssupply you can purchase boxes in bulk most sizes are less then $1
-Tess
Apr 5, 2015
27 posts
2 upvotes
Saint Catharines
plj126 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 11:25 am
Its been around for almost a year now, but with the limited locations you may not have noticed them. You can ship up to 5kg, so the small box can ship all the heavy books, and it will go in the mailbox without a trip to the post office.
Note the limited locations https://www.canadapost.ca/assets/pdf/bl ... nsumer.pdf since buying plain boxes at the post office is most definitely NOT a deal...

Small $13.49 5 kg Street letter box, Post office
Medium $16.49 5 kg Post office
Large $19.99 5 kg Post office

Location PDF
UPDATE......

Canada Post is a "SCREW YOU JOB" compared to US Postal Service.

Here's CP's rates........PLUS THE COST OF THE BOX.....PLUS ALL TAXES.....(https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/ ... ailandmore)

Small 10 3/8 x
14 x 2 1/8 35 x 26 x 5 $14.99 5 kg Street letter box,
Post office
Medium 10 3/8 x
15 3/8 x
4 7/8 38 x 26 x 12 $19.99 5 kg Post office
Large 12 x 16 x
7 1/2 40 x 28 x 17 $24.99 5 kg Post office

Here's the cost in the US.....INCLUDING FREE BOXES! (https://www.easypost.com/usps-flat-rate ... icing.html)

Small Box 8 11/16" x 5 7/16" x 1 3/4" $6.85
Medium Boxes 11 1/4" x 8 3/4" x 6" or 14" x 12" x 3 1/2" $12.45
Large Box 12 1/4" x 12 1/4" x 6" $17.10

And at those prices, you can ship ANYWHERE in the continental USA! (Oh, and no weight limitation! Not that you'd get much more than 5kg IN a small box, unless you're shipping gold bars! LOL)

I thought maybe I'd actually try crossing the border and shipping something BACK to a friend in Canada, (using USPS) but it turned out to be crazy expensive.....PROBABLY because Canada Post gets involved as soon as it comes back into Canada. Losers!