Shopping Discussion

Canada Post / CBSA (Canadian Customs) ramping up tax enforcement?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2017 3:58 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7496 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria

Canada Post / CBSA (Canadian Customs) ramping up tax enforcement?

The legal limit for importing into Canada via mail is $20 (or $60 if declared as a gift). Anymore you have to pay the brokerage fee (usually $10 with Canada Post) and any applicable taxes/duty.

In practice for as far back as I remember, customs lets most packages under $100 slide. The odds of getting dinged on something small but worth over $20 was pretty small.

Over the past two weeks I've had 3 orders come from the USA. All were worth about $30 and I got dinged on every single one of them. I haven't been dinged on that many in the last 10 years... so 3 in a row seems suspicions. 2 packages contained a concert lithograph, and the 3rd a record. Pretty benign stuff.

I'm wondering if Customs has been told to ramp up enforcement because of the NAFTA talks? I heard they actually loose money (Even though they charge you $10 to do it) every time they charge smaller packages.
Last edited by zod on Oct 11th, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
37 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23409 posts
1106 upvotes
Markham, ON
perhaps your plate or identification is flagged for passing border 3 times the past 2 weeks...likely a very quick turnaround.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7496 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 3:46 pm
perhaps your plate or identification is flagged for passing border 3 times the past 2 weeks...likely a very quick turnaround.
It was by mail, not by personally crossing the border.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10487 posts
2131 upvotes
GTA
I don't know if it's ramped up, as I had a customer today ( I'm a postie btw) that had a US$425 sweater that made it through unscathed. We talked about it and she said she didn't pay anything up front and she normally gets dinged. In my experience, clothes seem to get caught the most, well actually second after tobacco products as the duties on those are huge.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12140 posts
1932 upvotes
London
It's probably a side effect of all the extra checking they do now for drugs. The money to fund all the extra staff has to come from somewhere
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
1709 posts
346 upvotes
zod wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 3:36 pm
The legal limit for importing into Canada via mail is $20 (or $60 if declared as a gift). Anymore you have to pay the brokerage fee (usually $10 with Canada Post) and any applicable taxes/duty.

In practice for as far back as I remember, customs lets most packages under $100 slide. The odds of getting dinged on something small but worth over $20 was pretty small.

Over the past two weeks I've had 3 orders come from the USA. All were worth about $30 and I got dinged on every single one of them. I haven't been dinged on that many in the last 10 years... so 3 in a row seems suspicions. 2 packages contained a concert lithograph, and the 3rd a record. Pretty benign stuff.

I'm wondering if Customs has been told to ramp up enforcement because of the NAFTA talks? I heard they actually loose money (Even though they charge you $10 to do it) every time they charge smaller packages.
I recently got charged customs for returned warranty parts.
-AMD Ryzen 1800x Cpu-440$ // Asus Crosshair Vi Motherboard-280$ // Noctua DH15-80$
-Custom Core i7 Desktop - Intel Core i7 4770 8gb ram hd6870 gfx 500gb ssd &hdd ect - 900$.
Click here to check my BST post.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2073 posts
642 upvotes
North York
in my experience anything coming from america seems more likely to get taxed than overseas.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7496 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
quazy wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 5:35 pm
in my experience anything coming from america seems more likely to get taxed than overseas.
In my experience it doesn't matter if the package is coming from the US or overseas.... it all depends on how it was shipped. Government run postal agencies to Canada Post has usually let smaller packages slide. If the packages arrive via courier, every single one is assessed, because the courier charges larger brokerage fee's and makes money off assessing your taxes.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4756 posts
405 upvotes
Scarborough
No wonder CBSA can't deport failed claimants and criminals, etc...........they're too busy charging and enforcing tax on shopping items.

So many deportation and removal orders which are not carried out.
But look at their efficiencies in further taxing Canadians.
Nov 27, 2016
51 posts
7 upvotes
My last three parcels from the US also had custom charges applied, all were valued around $30. Same case as you, OP, never used to pay customs on anything under $100. I do feel they are being excessively strict recently.
Feb 18, 2012
237 posts
54 upvotes
Victoria
Just got my Mumford from the UK, no charges!
Sep 20, 2017
59 posts
36 upvotes
Ontario
Is it related to NAFTA negotiation. I heard someone want increase it from $20 to $800.

If they do, I believe it will be a disaster for many Canada based online merchants.
Nov 11, 2016
181 posts
98 upvotes
Halifax
quazy wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 5:35 pm
I have noticed this as well.
Anything coming from Korea or China - I have been dinged once in two years.

From the US : Probably 8 times.... for less packages. Almost all really.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2813 posts
265 upvotes
TracyWater wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 3:46 am
Is it related to NAFTA negotiation. I heard someone want increase it from $20 to $800.

If they do, I believe it will be a disaster for many Canada based online merchants.
I am really hoping Trump gets the buy in on that and maybe, just maybe we can start to see reasonable pricing?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7496 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
I got a 4th (another record dinged today)... sigh... of course this is all stuff I ordered before I knew there was a crackdown.

It must have to do with the NAFTA talks. They used to let so much slide. I've had more packages assessed in the last 2 weeks than in the last 10 years.

I hope they do increase the limit.. maybe not to 800... but a few hundred. $20 is ridiculously low.