• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2018 5:57 pm
May 12, 2017
121 posts
179 upvotes

Canada Post ... Domestic Pkg Delays

Has anyone recently been experiencing significant delays from Canada Post
with domestic mail processing?

I have 4 different online orders 2 of which are shipping from Montreal via Xpresspost and the other two via Expidited from Toronto. I know they don’t update frequently, but they’re all a day late from the expected delivery date and the 2 from Montreal are stuck in transit for two days now and should have been processed in Kitchener by now (on route to Windsor).

I’ve reached out to two of the retailers I’ve ordered from and both have told me to wait until tomorrow and if no further updates they’ll open up an investigation.

I order quite a bit online and these past two weeks I’ve noticed a back up or slow down with processing just coming from Toronto - Windsor. I’m not sure if it’s an isolated incident or the pending strike.

Just reaching out here to see if anyone else has noticed delays with orders
recently.
23 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Any update ?

Have used Canada Post quite a bit the last few months ... at least one parcel a week... either coming or going

Everything has arrived pretty much as projected. A few even earlier.

Right now I have a parcel that was projected for September 26th, but it looks like based on the Tracking Record ... that it will probably arrive early... Monday ~ September 24th at the latest

Quite pleased actually with CP’s recent performance
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
It's possible they are swamped with people trying to ship ahead of a strike next week. And it's also possible workers are refusing overtime ahead of the strike, in order to have more freight in the system, which is more leverage for them.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
2396 posts
2417 upvotes
Calgary
Haven't got daysoft order from one month ago and also missing Ebay order from Singapore but today was the last day of the delivery estimated range.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
djeffery wrote: It's possible they are swamped with people trying to ship ahead of a strike next week. And it's also possible workers are refusing overtime ahead of the strike, in order to have more freight in the system, which is more leverage for them.
No and no.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a package that originated in Brantford and I live in Mississauga. The package made it to Mississauga, but then somehow went to Nepean(?) and is now in Montreal(?!?), where it has been there for a few days now. I have a trace opened up with CP but there's no word yet. How fun.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9299 posts
10313 upvotes
I am waiting for two important parcels and they are now both 3 days late. They are stuck since early Wednesday morning on "out for delivery". No other updates have been made. I contacted Canada Post's customer service and "opened a ticket" for both parcels, but I know it is just a placebo and nobody is going to do jack.

I KNOW it is because they are stalling orders on purpose to put pressure on their bosses. Does anybody seriously believe this is just a coincidence? And they are holding us hostages, us who have no choice but to depend on them.

I hope it backfires on them tremendously and they end up forced to go back to work.

If I was the one who sent something and they would have pulled that off, I would immediately do a chargeback, because they are not providing the service that I paid for.

In the future I will make sure to use them as little as possible and will seek non-unionized shippers. I am sure for instance that Intelcom drivers would never dare treating their customers like garbage, like Canada Post workers have the effrontery to do.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
Poutinesauce wrote: I am waiting for two important parcels and they are now both 3 days late. They are stuck since early Wednesday morning on "out for delivery". No other updates have been made. I contacted Canada Post's customer service and "opened a ticket" for both parcels, but I know it is just a placebo and nobody is going to do jack.
Firstly, when a ticket is opened, a supervisor at the relevant depot is sent an email and they HAVE to address it. I can't speculate what happened to your parcels though :(

Second, you have absolutely no idea how the post office operates if you actually believe what you wrote. There is no way workers can hijack tons of parcels and/or mail, perhaps the odd one here and there *could* slip through, but you have to believe me, postal workers wouldn't do that. It's management that are the a-holes, always trying to make us look bad. During a strike, posties deliver welfare cheques for free, does that sound like a workforce that would hijack mail from the public?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9299 posts
10313 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: Firstly, when a ticket is opened, a supervisor at the relevant depot is sent an email and they HAVE to address it. I can't speculate what happened to your parcels though :(

Second, you have absolutely no idea how the post office operates if you actually believe what you wrote. There is no way workers can hijack tons of parcels and/or mail, perhaps the odd one here and there *could* slip through, but you have to believe me, postal workers wouldn't do that. It's management that are the a-holes, always trying to make us look bad. During a strike, posties deliver welfare cheques for free, does that sound like a workforce that would hijack mail from the public?
I will believe they took it seriously when I see a report of what they did that looks remotely credible. Otherwise I won't.

How about all the other people who are waiting for checks or important documents, and whose life will be severely impacted because you guys decided to hold them hostage? You're not the victims here. We are.

Imagine someone is living paycheck to paycheck and depends on an unexpected check in the mail not to be behind on their rent? Or needs their provincial health card that is being renewed for important hospital appointments? Or countless other scenarios? Are you going to help all these people? Or are their important documents going to be stuck in limbo for weeks?

I never had anything late from Canada Post... until now, just when they are on the verge of a strike. And you're going to make me believe that the people posting in this thread are all victims of unfortunate coincidences? If not Canada Post employees, who stalled their parcels? Santa Claus?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
Poutinesauce wrote:
In the future I will make sure to use them as little as possible and will seek non-unionized shippers. I am sure for instance that Intelcom drivers would never dare treating their customers like garbage, like Canada Post workers have the effrontery to do.
Intelcom are union as well.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9299 posts
10313 upvotes
djeffery wrote: Intelcom are union as well.
The big difference I would say is that they are directly dependent on Amazon for the vast majority of their business. It is not the same relationship where usually the retailer is the one dependent on Canada Post. So if a customer complains to them, and then Amazon complains to Intelcom, they have to take them seriously and resolve the issue quickly.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: During a strike, posties deliver welfare cheques for free, does that sound like a workforce that would hijack mail from the public?
I could be wrong, but I thought I was told it is not for free. The postie's that deliver these cheques receive payment still (whether it's a part of their strike pay or as a token amount from CP).
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
TrevorK wrote: I could be wrong, but I thought I was told it is not for free. The postie's that deliver these cheques receive payment still (whether it's a part of their strike pay or as a token amount from CP).
Strike pay is a joke, so pretty much the same thing ;)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3175 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto
djeffery wrote: Intelcom are union as well.
Is that true? Because intellicom seems like the company who wouldn’t pay for EI let alone have unionized employees.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
jacnel wrote: Is that true? Because intellicom seems like the company who wouldn’t pay for EI let alone have unionized employees.
Yes a friend of mine is a Teamsters business agent who represents an area with a large and growing Intelcom workforce. He is glad he is retiring before they get too big and their next contract comes up because they are a pain in the ass to deal with. I should qualify it that I don't know that all Intelcom locations are unionized, it's possible it's only this particular area. I do expect that Intelcom will be purchased before too long, probably by the vultures at TransForce. I wonder if Canada Post wishes they still owned a chunk of this company.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
TrevorK wrote: I could be wrong, but I thought I was told it is not for free. The postie's that deliver these cheques receive payment still (whether it's a part of their strike pay or as a token amount from CP).
Strike pay is strike pay. Whether they deliver cheques or not, they get strike pay, which comes from the union, not the company. So if they do the checks, there isn't anything further paid out so it's time and expense out of their own pockets.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
djeffery wrote: Strike pay is strike pay. Whether they deliver cheques or not, they get strike pay, which comes from the union, not the company. So if they do the checks, there isn't anything further paid out so it's time and expense out of their own pockets.
I believe they have to picket for strike pay. I don't think it's just given to them - they have to work for it.

I believe their government check delivery is another area they are actually paid for. They are not just doing it out of the kindness of their hearts as far as I have been told by carriers.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: Strike pay is a joke, so pretty much the same thing ;)
LOL so then you agree they get paid for delivering government cheques? You make them out to be so saintly with the claim of "doing it for free" when it reality they are not.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3175 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto
djeffery wrote: Yes a friend of mine is a Teamsters business agent who represents an area with a large and growing Intelcom workforce. He is glad he is retiring before they get too big and their next contract comes up because they are a pain in the ass to deal with. I should qualify it that I don't know that all Intelcom locations are unionized, it's possible it's only this particular area. I do expect that Intelcom will be purchased before too long, probably by the vultures at TransForce. I wonder if Canada Post wishes they still owned a chunk of this company.
Ah OK that makes sense.

And yeah they'll probably get swallowed up, maybe by Canada Post Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
TrevorK wrote: LOL so then you agree they get paid for delivering government cheques? You make them out to be so saintly with the claim of "doing it for free" when it reality they are not.
Actually there is no payment for the delivery of those government cheques.

My comment was strike pay is so low it may as well be nothing.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)