Canada Post - GAT Test Soon !

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2014 10:12 am
Tags:
None
Aug 26, 2006
27 posts

Canada Post - GAT Test Soon !

I got an offer for the Postal Clerk position with Canada Post, pending the passing of the GAT (General Abilities Test). What can I expect and how long is it? Is this thing easy, hard, impossible?

I'm a student in university and as of now, the position is "on call temporary." I'm taking summer school and full time next school year, so would they need part time or just looking for full time in the end with a 3 month probationary period for now?

I looked up the pay rate in other provinces under 'Canada Post > Careers' where it displays the pay rate and it is $22.00 - $25.00/hr, although it doesn't display anything for the Toronto position.

This would really be an amazing job with a university student, not slaving for $8.75 at Starbucks.
38 replies
May 1, 2008
93 posts
7 upvotes
Are you in the toronto area. I was a temp on call casual clerk. really boring job and i was in with some particularly nasty co-workers. If your female it helps, they tend to favor females there. Hopefully you'll will get in with some good workers. Also I didn't care much for the union there.

Lets hope your experience will be better. I basically stopped going to work the atmosphere was so bad there.
Jun 8, 2007
803 posts
74 upvotes
Mississauga
You won't have any problems with the GAT if you're in university. Literally half of the people in the room that took the test with me failed, but to give you perspective I'm a journalism grad and passed with flying colours.

It has multiple sections to it... Basic math, reading comprehension, short term memory (memorizing 4 columns with 5 addresses and listing which addy's were in which column), an "is the address on the left identical to the address on the right" and I think a "what's the next number in the sequence" section.

The short term memory takes the longest because you do it with two 4x5 grids and that section takes 15 minutes or so.

All that being said, I'd give you 100-1 odds that they'll be calling you in for the midnight shift, so if you're looking something you can balance with the rest of life, I would look elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2005
2230 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
harvard_jd wrote:
May 2nd, 2008 10:24 am
I got an offer for the Postal Clerk position with Canada Post, pending the passing of the GAT (General Abilities Test). What can I expect and how long is it? Is this thing easy, hard, impossible?

I'm a student in university and as of now, the position is "on call temporary." I'm taking summer school and full time next school year, so would they need part time or just looking for full time in the end with a 3 month probationary period for now?

I looked up the pay rate in other provinces under 'Canada Post > Careers' where it displays the pay rate and it is $22.00 - $25.00/hr, although it doesn't display anything for the Toronto position.

This would really be an amazing job with a university student, not slaving for $8.75 at Starbucks.
I guess my friend was right they're still hiring temps. Congrats on getting the offer for doing the test. Are you doing the test at South Central? 969 Eastern Ave downtown?

I'm currently working at that location, and I'm a temp. 'On-call'. Don't worry about the test, its easy stuff. Especially since you're still in Uni. Assuming you pass the test, and get the job offer. You'll be placed in a group (A-K) each group has about 25-30 ppl in it. And if you hear you're group called. You go to work. Or not.. its basically up to you. You'll be doing mostly night shifts... (ex. 12-8am, 2-7am..etc.).

I hear from ppl they got hired to part time after a yr and a half. The pay rate is exactly $22-25, it varies because it depends on the shift you work. Theres premiums for working weekends/nightshifts. The job itself its quite boring sometimes, but you're allowed to listen to your ipod during work. The nightshifts... I wanted to quit the 1st day, no lie! but I got used to it.
Bleys007 wrote:
May 2nd, 2008 9:27 pm
You won't have any problems with the GAT if you're in university. Literally half of the people in the room that took the test with me failed, but to give you perspective I'm a journalism grad and passed with flying colours.

It has multiple sections to it... Basic math, reading comprehension, short term memory (memorizing 4 columns with 5 addresses and listing which addy's were in which column), an "is the address on the left identical to the address on the right" and I think a "what's the next number in the sequence" section.

The short term memory takes the longest because you do it with two 4x5 grids and that section takes 15 minutes or so.

All that being said, I'd give you 100-1 odds that they'll be calling you in for the midnight shift, so if you're looking something you can balance with the rest of life, I would look elsewhere.
Pretty much nailed it, thats basically what the whole test covers. The memorization part is a bit tricky. But I got a test book with answers circled in, and was erased, but done poorly. So I was able to see the answers :lol:
dunno if the answers were correct or not, but just went with it, if I didn't know that one.
[OP]
Aug 26, 2006
27 posts
EWW!

Night shift?!

That's awful!

The thing is...I'm taking summer school 6-9PM every night (except friday + weekends & holidays) so i guess i could sleep-in late the next day...but still....its really, really bad hours...even at $22 - $25 / hr.

How many days/week do you think they'd call me?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2006
6017 posts
1 upvote
if you drive, then maybe try switching over to be a temp @ the gateway location(dixie & eglinton). When i was a temp there in 2005 you picked if you wanted to be called for evenings, or midnight ****. Evening shifts would end @ 12 midnight at the latest latest. Typical shifts I had were 7pm-11pm, 7pm-12, 5-11pm, 6-11pm, during the week, and weekend shifts were usually 3pm-11pm. so maybe the weekends would work for you. You also get to pick when u want to go in and when u dont. The test like the other people said is pretty straightforward. The only part i found stimulating was the short memory part with the columns and addresses. Good luck!

harvard_jd wrote:
May 3rd, 2008 12:18 pm
EWW!

Night shift?!

That's awful!

The thing is...I'm taking summer school 6-9PM every night (except friday + weekends & holidays) so i guess i could sleep-in late the next day...but still....its really, really bad hours...even at $22 - $25 / hr.

How many days/week do you think they'd call me?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2005
2230 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
harvard_jd wrote:
May 3rd, 2008 1:19 pm
Unfortunately, I do not drive.
Assuming you'll be taking the test at the downtown location.. how are you gonna get there if not driving? those nightshifts wont have the subway available to you..

I don't think this job will work for you dude... well if you do get in. July/August expect work maybe 2 days every 2 weeks lol. Its quite quiet in those 2 months. December is the busiest. I dunno man, $22/hr for work thats not considered hard, is good easy money on the side. Only thing hard is getting used to the nightshifts. Think about the ppl who do nightshifts EVERYDAY (sun-mon). Now thats tough.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1806 posts
82 upvotes
how did you apply for this position?
[OP]
Aug 26, 2006
27 posts
PSiBeR wrote:
May 3rd, 2008 10:36 pm
Assuming you'll be taking the test at the downtown location.. how are you gonna get there if not driving? those nightshifts wont have the subway available to you..

I don't think this job will work for you dude... well if you do get in. July/August expect work maybe 2 days every 2 weeks lol. Its quite quiet in those 2 months. December is the busiest. I dunno man, $22/hr for work thats not considered hard, is good easy money on the side. Only thing hard is getting used to the nightshifts. Think about the ppl who do nightshifts EVERYDAY (sun-mon). Now thats tough.

The test location is at:
969 Eastern Avenue, Toronto On M4L 1A5
(1 block east of Leslie and 1 block north of Lakeshore).

The subway line begins to close something like at 1.30am - around there - and the last bus to/from downsview station from york is around 2am+.

Are there any 24 hour buses available to this location from York?

Also, who says this is where I will be WORKING?
Could I not be a postal clerk anywhere?

I don't mind working little because it would otherwise interefere with school alot - so it's fine if it is not that busy.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2005
2230 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
harvard_jd wrote:
May 4th, 2008 3:13 pm
The test location is at:
969 Eastern Avenue, Toronto On M4L 1A5
(1 block east of Leslie and 1 block north of Lakeshore).

The subway line begins to close something like at 1.30am - around there - and the last bus to/from downsview station from york is around 2am+.

Are there any 24 hour buses available to this location from York?

Also, who says this is where I will be WORKING?
Could I not be a postal clerk anywhere?

I don't mind working little because it would otherwise interefere with school alot - so it's fine if it is not that busy.
You're doing the test there, if you pass it. Also pass the interview.

You will be WORKING @ this location.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18098 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
Wilmega wrote:
May 4th, 2008 12:52 am
how did you apply for this position?
I'm wondering this as well. My friend and I would like to open up a Canada Post outlet. But neither of us know a commercial real estate agent who can get an available place for us. He has done some research already and has found out it's pretty hard to get one in Toronto area. So I'm thinking a position like this would help get things rolling. We are both experienced with Canada Post shipping and eBay (he currently owns a postal outlet, but not Canada Post).
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3258 posts
168 upvotes
Yeah, I was a temp on-call once. I was never offered a casual on-call even though I express interest. I left for full-time work but years later I wanted back in. Sent my resume to Canada Post at Eastern Avenue but never got a response. I even said I was willing to work the graveyard shifts.
May 9, 2008
1 posts
Toronto
I also got called for the Canada Post Postal Clerk Position, to write the GAT Test, next week. Does anyone know if there are any sample questions online? Also, is the test all multiple choice questions, or is there a written part? Thanks.
× < >