Shopping Discussion

Canada Post Incompetence

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2016 10:05 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
962 upvotes
felixdd wrote: They somehow decide it's appropriate to give my packages to my neighbor. Even my $2000 MacBook Pro. Seriously??! Good thing my neighbor and I are buddies...but what about privacy issues?!?!?
This a million times, happened to me. I ordered some large items from Amazon delivered to my door. It was a really snowy day and my car was in the garage so it may have looked like no one was home.

Well I hear some noise outside my house, go to check it out and its the mailman bringing my boxes to my neighbor, who told the mailman I wasn't home and he would take them. WTF, I was home and no one rang my bell.

Not very impressed with that. Last time mailman gave my neighbor my refurb ThinkPad. Only $400, but it could have been a $2000 laptop. (Granted I am friends with my neighbor and it would save me a trip, and the mailman, etc.)


On Black Friday I ordered a XBox One bundle...come home and see it just sitting on my front step. Lucky no one stole it.

Alll delivered by Canada Post...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6060 posts
591 upvotes
SW Ontario
JohnB wrote: This a million times, happened to me. I ordered some large items from Amazon delivered to my door. It was a really snowy day and my car was in the garage so it may have looked like no one was home.

Well I hear some noise outside my house, go to check it out and its the mailman bringing my boxes to my neighbor, who told the mailman I wasn't home and he would take them. WTF, I was home and no one rang my bell.

Not very impressed with that. Last time mailman gave my neighbor my refurb ThinkPad. Only $400, but it could have been a $2000 laptop. (Granted I am friends with my neighbor and it would save me a trip, and the mailman, etc.)


On Black Friday I ordered a XBox One bundle...come home and see it just sitting on my front step. Lucky no one stole it.

Alll delivered by Canada Post...
Pretty sure that's proper procedure. Like you say it saves you a trip to go pick it up. We will turn around and someone else will be complaining that they have to go pick it up. Obviously it's an issue if you have a neighbour issues. But most of the time that neighbour wouldn't volunteer to hold your stuff. Obviously he should have knocked. But it's clear the mailman wasn't doing anything to purposely bother you. Just took your neighbours word for it (incorrectly). But no bad intentions there.

As for leaving it on your porch, you probably need to have a 'no safe drop' instruction added (or put up a sign). Regardless if it was stolen, you'd be able to easily claim it wasn't delivered and get a replacement. Again, just saving you a trip.

If this is a common problem you can always get a PO box at your local post office or somewhere.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16281 posts
6422 upvotes
jferreir wrote: Here is CP's definition of a delivery standard:
"Delivery standards represent the expected transit time in business days from the day of deposit (day 0) to delivery for items deposited before the local cut-off time."

If CP consistently (i.e., more than 50% of the time) fails to meet its own delivery standard -- the expected transit time in business days -- then it is not a delivery standard. For something count as a standard, it needs to meet an established threshold. Guaranteed delivery is a service you purchase, not a published guideline. I don't expect guaranteed delivery. What I expect is that the delivery standard be met at least 50% of the time -- that's what makes it a standard.

At the end of the day, you are arguing that it's acceptable for a package shipped from Toronto to Scarborough to take 3-4 business days to arrive (consistently, remember), even though CP claims it should only take one business day. I'm arguing that if most shipments do not meet the published delivery standard, then it fails to be a delivery standard. In which case, CP should either revise their delivery standard, or simply get rid of it.

You keep deflecting from this very clear and obvious point, trying to insult me at every turn. So, I repeat for the last time... GO AWAY!
There is plenty of evidence in this thread of CP meeting their posted delivery standard. You seem to be one of the few with a "problem". I use this loosely because as we have no evidence of all the other posters who say CP provides great service (which I am sure you dispute), we have no evidence of CP not meeting their delivery standard for you.

What we do have is you complaining and shifting the blame to everyone else rather than logically evaluating the situation. Just because it is a 20 minute drive from where your package resides (which you conveniently ignore the fact you could just use a local courier for door-to-door service, and most likely a lower rate) does not mean that they should go pick it up and deliver it right to you.


Time for you to go away, we already have enough people on RFD complaining about wanting things they are unwilling to pay for. Why are you so hell bent on being another?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5554 posts
3468 upvotes
Look at this crap. The driver doesn't even come here to leave a delivery notice anymore. (third package this week)

Image
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
194 upvotes
Stouffville
The problem is Canada Post has created routes so long that it's nearly impossible to complete. The routes are put together with computers, not with real numbers. So the amount of work given to each employee daily is more than they can accomplish within the hours. I know a few guys who work 8-10 hours straight without taking breaks or lunches. They get home, and have no energy to do anything.


Anyway, I've never had any major problems with Canada Post. I've had small minor issues, but those i've talked to my mail person directly, and the issues were fixed. I've only had problems with Purolator, and that's why now if a company is going to ship with Purolator, I don't buy that product.

I think TrevorK made a good point - if you don't like the service, stop using it. If someone ONLY ships with Canada Post, don't make a purchase with them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5554 posts
3468 upvotes
TagYoureIt wrote: The problem is Canada Post has created routes so long that it's nearly impossible to complete. The routes are put together with computers, not with real numbers. So the amount of work given to each employee daily is more than they can accomplish within the hours. I know a few guys who work 8-10 hours straight without taking breaks or lunches. They get home, and have no energy to do anything.


Anyway, I've never had any major problems with Canada Post. I've had small minor issues, but those i've talked to my mail person directly, and the issues were fixed. I've only had problems with Purolator, and that's why now if a company is going to ship with Purolator, I don't buy that product.

I think TrevorK made a good point - if you don't like the service, stop using it. If someone ONLY ships with Canada Post, don't make a purchase with them.
Most online retailers use Canada Post. You basically have to stop online shopping if you don't want to deal with them.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
194 upvotes
Stouffville
jferreir wrote: Close, but not quite. I understand what you're saying -- namely, that if the package has to travel through a logistics network, the actual distance travelled is not a mere 20km. So, why do I think a transit time of 3-4 days is unacceptable? Because Canada Post tells me it is -- the delivery standard is supposed to be 1 business day. In this case, the distance between shipper/receiver makes all the difference because that's what CP bases their delivery standard on (knowing the inner workings of their logistics network, of course).

Or to use your extreme example, if I ship something to my neighbour and the published delivery standard is one business day, then it's entirely reasonable for me to expect the package to be delivered the next business day. I don't care what route CP uses to deliver the package, I only care that the shipment meets the published delivery standard -- most of the time.

So that is the service that you are paying for, and if it's not fulfilled you get your money back. You can respond with "I don't want my money back, I want my item delivered the next day" but I would just say, maybe you should use a courier service that offers a more reliable next day service (which is probably 3-4x the cost of Canada Post)
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
194 upvotes
Stouffville
hvwozq wrote: Most online retailers use Canada Post. You basically have to stop online shopping if you don't want to deal with them.
Most online retailers use Canada Post because they're the cheapest, and most people wouldn't want to be spending big bucks on shipping items.


Would you rather pay $0 for ordering $50 worth of product, or would you rather pay $25 for ordering $50 worth of product? Either way, the choice is still there to be made. Stop online shopping at these "most" places. It may be difficult, but it's not impossible.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5554 posts
3468 upvotes
TagYoureIt wrote: So that is the service that you are paying for, and if it's not fulfilled you get your money back. You can respond with "I don't want my money back, I want my item delivered the next day" but I would just say, maybe you should use a courier service that offers a more reliable next day service (which is probably 3-4x the cost of Canada Post)
Actually, shipping with UPS through NetParcel is cheaper and faster delivery than Canada Post.
Maybe they shouldn't promise 1-day delivery then? That seems more logical.
TagYoureIt wrote: Most online retailers use Canada Post because they're the cheapest, and most people wouldn't want to be spending big bucks on shipping items.

Would you rather pay $0 for ordering $50 worth of product, or would you rather pay $25 for ordering $50 worth of product? Either way, the choice is still there to be made. Stop online shopping at these "most" places. It may be difficult, but it's not impossible.
lol $25.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
194 upvotes
Stouffville
hvwozq wrote: Actually, shipping with UPS through NetParcel is cheaper and faster delivery than Canada Post.
Maybe they shouldn't promise 1-day delivery then? That seems more logical.



lol $25.
But why wouldn't they offer 1 day delivery? They should be a service, but people want them to act like a business, now everyone is upset that they're acting like a business? They offer 1 day delivery because it's a needed service. People pay the money, and then attempts are deemed successful, or a failure. If it's a failure you can get your money back. Most people don't bother trying to get their money back, so Canada Post wins. I have a friend and he hired someone to keep track of his Canada Post shipping. Everything that went missed the cut off date, that person does all the paperwork/filing to get money back.

Top