None
[OP]
Dec 29, 2001
657 posts
46 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo

Canada Post interview

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone here works or has worked for Canada Post. I have a job interview with Canada Post on Wednesday. Part of the interview involves a general aptitude test and a driver abstract. The test will take approximately 2 hours.

I am not sure but after the test I think their will be an interview. My question is what type of questions will they ask me on the general aptitude test? Anyway I can be better prepared?

Thank you for your help
19 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2004
1040 posts
Take some vitamins and study hard!

Good Luck
:)
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
61 upvotes
from what I can remember from many many years ago....

-reading, comprehension test
-math test (basic arithmetic)
-matching a bunch of addresses
-fill in the blank with the appropriate word

each section is time limited.

there is no excuse for any hs graduate to fail. just make sure you fill in the scantron card correctly.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
1187 posts
1 upvote
Toronto ON
Having been on hiring boards for another Federal Department....here's what sounds like basic advice that most people fail on....

READ the WHOLE question.

If a question asks you to "assess and analyze x" most people fail by not analyzing - they'll assess only. Where you see an AND, know there are two levels to the response on a written or an oral question.

Tracy
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14318 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
Try to imagine delivering newspapers for a living.
Try to imagine delivering newspapers to a newspaper box, forcing
everyone to come to the box, instead of you delivering to their doors.
Now try to imagine making $24/hr doing this, which is more $ than the older mailmen who delivered to the door.

If the items above make perfect sense, you're halfway there.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
[OP]
Dec 29, 2001
657 posts
46 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo
Thank you for all the support. I'll keep that in mind when I write the test on Wednesday. If I do get the job its only casual work but it's a step in the right direction. I'm currently only making 7.85+1.5 premium (when they decide to pay me the premium) at my current job. I'll keep everyone posted on what happened during the test! :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
6987 posts
157 upvotes
New Westminster
Good luck! Remember to sleep well.
insert witty comment
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
2707 posts
27 upvotes
have a read here might be something there for ya ....good luck.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2001
657 posts
46 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo
Hi all

Thought I would update everyone on the testing Canada Post gave me. When I arrived at Canada Post they made those who were there fill out some paperwork. Secondly they informed us that we were applying for casual postion.

That is that they we would be on call all the time. The test consisted of memorizing four columns with various address for five minutes. We then had to recall what those addresses were twice. Secondly we were tested on arithmetic. Reading comprehension was part of the test. Figuring out the correct series of numbers was also part of the test.

I should find out by Friday if I made it to the next stage of the interview

Wish me luck.
Aug 12, 2004
449 posts
Zeev20 wrote:Hi all

Thought I would update everyone on the testing Canada Post gave me. When I arrived at Canada Post they made those who were there fill out some paperwork. Secondly they informed us that we were applying for casual postion.

That is that they we would be on call all the time. The test consisted of memorizing four columns with various address for five minutes. We then had to recall what those addresses were twice. Secondly we were tested on arithmetic. Reading comprehension was part of the test. Figuring out the correct series of numbers was also part of the test.

I should find out by Friday if I made it to the next stage of the interview

Wish me luck.

hi there,
I have worked for canada post as a letter carrier for 30 years just about to retire. It is estimated that in the 5 years they will need to replace nearly 50% as we retire or as our knees and feet wear out. You do start as casual but in most cases when you get into a station you usually work 40 hrs.
one thing to remember is wear GOOD shoes and if you can afford it get orthotics right away to protect your feet. with the summer coming on it is a great outdoor job and usually most of the lettercarriers take the summer of so it makes more work for the casuals.
hope that gives you some input ont the job.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1897 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
I heard they pay well. My friend went for the chrismas season and got paid 21/hr. crazy
Feb 3, 2005
957 posts
hey, good luck with the interview, hope you get the job.

Are there any Can. Post jobs currently available which doesn't require a drivers license?
Oct 13, 2002
146 posts
1 upvote
Surrey
I actually was hired by Canada Post this past summer....

It was pretty crazy. Alot of much older people were writing one of many apptitude tests. I scored well on that same test u described and they handed me a piece of paper saying ' Interview ' with a date and time... I was pretty psyched.

I went into the interview overly confident. It showed. I came out even that much happier. After leaving, one of the ladies who had interviewed me caught me at the elevator to compliment on my job well done. TALK ABOUT AN EGO TRIP!

...... I lasted 2 weeks at Canada Post. The $20 / hr wage was not worth the awful hours.... seriously, I do not want to be up at 5 or 5:30 AM for work...

I work at TELUS now. It's great. I am heading to bed :-)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7765 posts
158 upvotes
wow must be nice, id do anything to earn a decent wage no matter what time i gotta get up
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
148 upvotes
SecretAgent wrote:
...... I lasted 2 weeks at Canada Post. The $20 / hr wage was not worth the awful hours.... seriously, I do not want to be up at 5 or 5:30 AM for work...

I work at TELUS now. It's great. I am heading to bed :-)
The difference is, I think the average joe respects posties far more than TELUS workers.
× < >