Shopping Discussion

Canada Post Left Walmart.ca Order on my door steps.

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2014 10:24 am
Jr. Member
Aug 24, 2014
197 posts
200 upvotes
blueeyetea wrote: Even though the place where you'll pick up your package is five minutes away, your package doesn't go directly there when the letter carrier leaves you a card. It goes back to the processing centre, where it will be re-directed to the closet post office for delivery the next day. That's why you're card will say to pick-it up after 1 p.m., to give Canada Post to bring it to that place.

Everyone assumes the letter carrier goes from their house to the nearest postal outlet as a side trip to leave the package. No. How many side trips would that involve for the letter carrier?
No... That's not true at all. The shipments that were failed to be delivered does not go back to distribution center. Like the member said above, they do their regular route and then they drop the failed-to-deliver shipments off to nearby postal outlet after. I have picked up many of my items on the same day that I got the card even though it indicated me to pick it up the next day after 1pm
Sr. Member
Sep 19, 2009
621 posts
503 upvotes
Ottawa
lcyCold wrote: No... That's not true at all. The shipments that were failed to be delivered does not go back to distribution center. Like the member said above, they do their regular route and then they drop the failed-to-deliver shipments off to nearby postal outlet after. I have picked up many of my items on the same day that I got the card even though it indicated me to pick it up the next day after 1pm

Ok..here's the real truth. Canada Post precisely measures letter carrier routes and assigns values to all tasks assigned to letter carriers. Letter carriers are not given values to drive carded items to the Retail Outlet after finishing their route. Many of them do if they have light mail volumes, finish early, drive by the Retail Outlet on the way back to the depot etc. However they are not expected to because it is not included amongst their daily tasks. You will see on the Delivery Notice Card 2 boxes, today after 5pm and tomorrow after 1pm. Any PRIORITY items that are attempted and cannot be delivered MUST be driven to the Retail Outlet to be available to the customer by 5pm. That can easily add 10-30 minutes to a letter carriers day depending on any number of variables...traffic...available parking..how many items..how busy the clerk at the outlet is..how far from his route the letter carrier has to drive from and then return to in order to continue delivering. If overtime is occurred, it will be paid. I always card accordingly and if I have to drive a PRIORITY item to the outlet, I drop everything else I've carded off at the same time. However it's not feasible for and you shouldn't expect every letter carrier to drop off all their carded items off at the retail outlet for 5pm pickup, especially if they don't have a PRIORITY item to drop off. Here's a common scenario. In winter time, routes easily become 2+ hours longer because of increased volumes/parcels/weather/parking issues due to snowbanks. Last winter I regulary finished my day at 8pm instead of the 6pm scheduled end time. I had to break away from my route to attempt Priorities in the later parts of my route and drive 10 minutes to the outlet to drop them off before 5pm. Still had plenty of none PRIORITY parcels to deliver after which would be coming back to the depot with me if I had to card them.

Cliffnotes : Feel free to try your luck if your card says "tomorrow after 1pm". There is a 25% chance that it will be there "today after 5pm". However the guaranteed commitment for non-PRIORITY items is "tomorrow after 1pm" and it really is more efficient that way.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 1, 2001
5201 posts
424 upvotes
Interestingly enough I've had a letter carrier automatically card items without even attempting delivery. I would get a card indicating "tomorrow after 1pm" pickup with my mail; no ring of the doorbell; no knock. The letter carrier didn't even have the item with him - just a card already written up.

When confronted, this letter carrier claimed he didn't drop off the card. With a bit of back and forth, he finally admitted that he did drop off the card. Needless to say, a call to CP Head office followed...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5555 posts
3468 upvotes
chukurific wrote: Cliffnotes : Feel free to try your luck if your card says "tomorrow after 1pm". There is a 25% chance that it will be there "today after 5pm". However the guaranteed commitment for non-PRIORITY items is "tomorrow after 1pm" and it really is more efficient that way.
Why "try your luck"? It shows on Canada Post's website when packages are available for pickup. They card all of my packages as "today after 18:00" without exception.
Sr. Member
Sep 19, 2009
621 posts
503 upvotes
Ottawa
hvwozq wrote: Why "try your luck"? It shows on Canada Post's website when packages are available for pickup. They card all of my packages as "today after 18:00" without exception.
If you re-read my Cliffnotes it DOES say "try your luck IF your card says 'tomorrow after 1pm'. " Canada Posts commitment for parcels not shipped using the PRIORITY option is for the next day after 1pm. Your letter carrier just happens to card all his items for the same day. Might be that he finishes his route way ahead of schedule. Might be that he drives by it on the way back to the depot. Consider yourself blessed. BTW, priority commitment is now 17:00, since some Retail outlets close at 6pm. New cards reflect the updated time. It might vary by district.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 8, 2002
11831 posts
3166 upvotes
GTA
lcyCold wrote: No... That's not true at all. The shipments that were failed to be delivered does not go back to distribution center. Like the member said above, they do their regular route and then they drop the failed-to-deliver shipments off to nearby postal outlet after. I have picked up many of my items on the same day that I got the card even though it indicated me to pick it up the next day after 1pm
I believe you guys in BC are still using the old system, which had the carriers drop off their stuff at the post office at the end of the day. The new 'postal transformation' has all letter carriers doing much longer routes, which includes large parcels. At the end of the day, all carded items ( except priority items) return to the depot and get taken in one go by someone else, either later in the day or next morning. If this didn't happen, you could have 30 vehicles pulling up to a post office at the same time.

As mentioned before, if your LC is on the first wave delivery, there's a good chance you can get your item that evening, iirc the barcode on the package can track where the item is.
Banned
User avatar
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
692 upvotes
Shhanada
chukurific wrote: Ok..here's the real truth. Canada Post precisely measures letter carrier routes and assigns values to all tasks assigned to letter carriers. Letter carriers are not given values to drive carded items to the Retail Outlet after finishing their route. Many of them do if they have light mail volumes, finish early, drive by the Retail Outlet on the way back to the depot etc. However they are not expected to because it is not included amongst their daily tasks. You will see on the Delivery Notice Card 2 boxes, today after 5pm and tomorrow after 1pm. Any PRIORITY items that are attempted and cannot be delivered MUST be driven to the Retail Outlet to be available to the customer by 5pm. That can easily add 10-30 minutes to a letter carriers day depending on any number of variables...traffic...available parking..how many items..how busy the clerk at the outlet is..how far from his route the letter carrier has to drive from and then return to in order to continue delivering. If overtime is occurred, it will be paid. I always card accordingly and if I have to drive a PRIORITY item to the outlet, I drop everything else I've carded off at the same time. However it's not feasible for and you shouldn't expect every letter carrier to drop off all their carded items off at the retail outlet for 5pm pickup, especially if they don't have a PRIORITY item to drop off. Here's a common scenario. In winter time, routes easily become 2+ hours longer because of increased volumes/parcels/weather/parking issues due to snowbanks. Last winter I regulary finished my day at 8pm instead of the 6pm scheduled end time. I had to break away from my route to attempt Priorities in the later parts of my route and drive 10 minutes to the outlet to drop them off before 5pm. Still had plenty of none PRIORITY parcels to deliver after which would be coming back to the depot with me if I had to card them.

Cliffnotes : Feel free to try your luck if your card says "tomorrow after 1pm". There is a 25% chance that it will be there "today after 5pm". However the guaranteed commitment for non-PRIORITY items is "tomorrow after 1pm" and it really is more efficient that way.
Thanks for this full and detailed explanation. I'm sad that our great postal service is being destroyed by myths and dishonesty by the executive and government, and it sounds like the employees are being ground to a pulp as a result.

The neo conservatives will have their way and when we have garbage service from UPS at 10 times the cost, there will be no accountability because the excuse will be "that's how the free market works!".

In my case, packages used to be available at the outlet same day, every day, usually by 4 pm, without exception. They switched to a horrible outlet location that is frequently unstaffed and even if the carded items have been dropped there, the consignee outlet's staff won't bother to check until later the next day. Their typical line up is 15+ minutes per day, so you can wait 15-20 minutes only to be told they aren't obliged to check and to come back later or the following day. And yet Canada Post's dumb metric says this outlet is acceptable because they assume high volume equals good, and they have good published hours, even though the postal desk is informally closed for hours at time due to insufficient staff. I dread when they kill mail delivery because this outlet is already so terrible that I can't imagine how much worse it can get.

Few of my daily packages will fit in the community mailboxes so I'm just waiting for my circumstances to be ruined by CP's lying CEO. Is he still sticking to that story about how seniors are thanking him for killing mail delivery because it's helping them get more exercise? Or that CP is "losing" money when the facts show different?
Jr. Member
Sep 16, 2008
180 posts
8 upvotes
Hehehehe....I've have intentionally paid more in the past for my shipping to have it delivered by Canadian Post instead of Purolator, because I can't remember when Purolator actually delivered something at my home, even when I was home multiple times, every time I had to pick it up myself. Canadian Post in my town is more patient or drops it at my doorstep, never had a problem with it, I actually love it. That's the beauty of living of living in a real city, instead of a ***** hole like for example Toronto.
Jr. Member
User avatar
May 19, 2013
159 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So what happens when it's left at your door, but then somebody takes it, and you don't get it? What do you do then? I mean can't you say "what evidence do you have that it was actually delivered to me, where's my signature?"
Banned
User avatar
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
692 upvotes
Shhanada
Jatt96 wrote: So what happens when it's left at your door, but then somebody takes it, and you don't get it? What do you do then? I mean can't you say "what evidence do you have that it was actually delivered to me, where's my signature?"
In most cases the courier or vendor absorbs the loss, not you. And they've cracked the numbers to know this is extremely rare compared to the overall number of packages. If you are subject to a theft, you can expect the carrier will be reluctant to leave things in the future.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 8, 2002
11831 posts
3166 upvotes
GTA
Jatt96 wrote: So what happens when it's left at your door, but then somebody takes it, and you don't get it? What do you do then? I mean can't you say "what evidence do you have that it was actually delivered to me, where's my signature?"
Oh yes you can.
Newbie
Jan 9, 2013
52 posts
10 upvotes
SASKATOON
Most of my Walmart shipments require me to go to shoppers for pick up but one time it was in front of the door of my 4th floor apartment , I was actually pretty impressed that they climbed up the stairs for me.

Top