Canada post never attempts parcel delivery

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2021 10:26 pm
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1273 posts
873 upvotes
canada
Alright ignore all the excuses made by posters above for the postman leaving notice cards. Zero excuse for that as it’s against CP policy to not make a delivery attempt. A healthy amount cp postman are extremely lazy and try to get away with serially leaving notice cards.

Solution

Call 1-800 number keep the reference number, they will tell you they will send a report to some back office which doesn’t do anything in reality. So say you want a call from the depot supervisor to know the issue has been addressed.

If you don’t get a call or they don’t want to escalate the first time .. call back when it happens again with relevant tracking numbers and they’ll give you another reference number. Each time it gets escalated or you call back about the same issue you get another ref #. Keep them all. If the postman keeps doing it KEEP calling in and making more case numbers. You can ask for the supervisor at any time which sometimes expedites your postman being told to do his job correctly. Once supervisor calls you .. save that phone number and get his her extension and call them or any other supervisor at the depot if it ever happens again.

Many postman LIE and say no safe place to put parcel and don’t even attempt to knock or ring the bell. Keep the tracking numbers and ask agents the reason why a notice card was left and Cite that in the case. Needless to say my postman is on notice from his managers and won’t try to leave notice cards anymore without knocking or ringing.

Keep calling in relentlessly every time you have an issue and cite all the previous notice card, tracking numbs and references. Posting $75 million profit today and you deserve delivery attempts.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
It's funny I get the opposite. Unless the package is large or there is a signature requirement, they leave the package in my mailbox or on my front step. I rarely see pickup cards. I like that because my local outlet is in this weird all in one corner store/drycleaner/postal outlet thing.. always a slow lineup in there. Hours are pretty short.

Maybe it's because i'm at the end of my route. IE just before they get to that outlet (as it's about 4 blocks away). My packages always seem to get dropped off between 3pm and 5pm. I've noticed that when I've been home, they always ring the doorbell before leaving it on the step. No complaints about my local delivery people.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
Canuck2fan wrote:

I live in a non entrance controlled building and we get regular mail put in our mail boxes. Here is where the first sign of stupidity shows up from a carrier. The door we use to access our mail only opens the bottom HALF of the box. Carriers open the all boxes at once and DROP the mail in from the top. So new carriers to the building in the 20 yrs I have been here, all ruin one or two packages before I catch them and explain that while many items will FIT into the slot, they will NOT come out from the bottom opening we HAVE to use. So unless you are going to give out keys to the same access you have to our boxes from the top, which would mean any person would have access to the whole buildings mail, STOP ruining my magazines, large envelopes and screen protectors by jamming them into the box from the top. Or I will be forced to file daily complaints about you until you clue in, and since 75% of my neighbors are retired, I will have them call in right after me.

We hate these old mailboxes the most. They were designed a very long time ago, when 99% of mail was just letters. They just dont work for todays mail.

The alternative to shoving in a magazine etc is to try and contact the recipient but honestly we just do not have the time for that. Plus, if the persons not home, it would have to be carded to the post office and who wants to go to the post office for one magazine?

I have seen some people leave little notes on these mailboxes, asking not to shove large items into the box.

I would ask the landlord to replace them, perhaps even get a petition going among residents.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1440 posts
816 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
I have the same issue, sort of. Former mailman was great, always buzzed me (live in a condo) to come down and grab packages while he was sorting the building's mail. Then he left and the temp guy just put pickup notices in my mailbox. Had to deal with that for months before another regular guy was assigned and he's great at hand delivering parcels for the most part.
Beware the RFD Effect
Jul 4, 2005
176 posts
18 upvotes
CP seems great with me. They usually ring the door bell even after hours at like 8PM. FedEx/UPS on the other hand... just leave my package on the door without ringing the door bell...
Aug 26, 2018
1 posts
Why does Canada Post NEVER/RARELY attempt a delivery? It's like they're trying to be silent Ninjas and tiptoe stealthily up to your house and try to quietly sneak the "we attempted delivery but no one was home" notice onto your mailbox or door. There is absolutely NO WAY that they made ANY EFFORT at all to knock or ring to notify me that the package was there! Do they realize they're getting far more enemies this way? If they actually tried to be nice and ACTUALLY ATTEMPT to knock/ring/deliver the package, how many more people would have great things to say about them. They keep this absolute ridiculous nonsense up and NOBODY will EVER want to use them!
Aug 16, 2015
8 posts
Toronto, ON
You have to call the customer center and ask to speak with the manager. Once you do that, they will pay more attention and attempt to deliver (ie. ring the bell). Keep in mind, the designated mailman changes every few months so you might have to call back again...in every few months. Very inconvenient.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Hugh Jass wrote: Image

We hate these old mailboxes the most. They were designed a very long time ago, when 99% of mail was just letters. They just dont work for todays mail.

The alternative to shoving in a magazine etc is to try and contact the recipient but honestly we just do not have the time for that. Plus, if the persons not home, it would have to be carded to the post office and who wants to go to the post office for one magazine?

I have seen some people leave little notes on these mailboxes, asking not to shove large items into the box.

I would ask the landlord to replace them, perhaps even get a petition going among residents.
100% This

@Canuck2fan the problem is not so much your Letter Carrier as your CHEAP Building Mgmt who have not kept up with the times and upgraded the Apartment Mail Slots since the 1950s

That’s who you need to be putting the pressure on
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Count me as one who has a really good Letter Carrier (even the temp replacements for vacation periods have been excellent).

So not all postal workers are bad...

I for one think it has a lot to do with the “atmpshere” and “expectations” set by Mgmt back at the depot

If Mgmt takes pride in the service they provide to Cdns, then the employees are more likely to follow suit too
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
PointsHubby wrote: Count me as one who has a really good Letter Carrier (even the temp replacements for vacation periods have been excellent).
Same here and in all places I lived in recently - Ottawa, Montreal, Belleville and Cornwall
Oct 24, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
Same here, they don't even try, i paid shipping to my door, i was home and all they do, dropped a delivery attempt (like if they do attempt) notice card in my mail box, so i have to drive on my own time, fuel expense, etc to pick up the parcel because they are lazy? And they are on strike, for what? Terrible service, overprice like i ve never seen in any other country, they are overpaid for what they do. When you call to complain, it goes nowhere.
May 24, 2008
14 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I know this is an old, ongoing thread, but my experience is the same. The person who delivers are mail is a complete idiot. Delivery attempts are never made. I work 12 hour rotating shifts, so I'm only gone from the house for work 6 days per month - I'm home a lot - numerous times I will track a package only to be told I need to pick it up at shoppers drug mart - I'm home, the doorbell never rings. They just don't care. Once , I kept checking the tracking website, it said 'parcel out for delivery'. You think the guy showed up? Of course not. They just don't care. After waiting most of the day, it was 'still out for delivery' at 7 PM. I really needed what was being delivered, so I waited home all day for the part, in case signature was required. Didnt show, and when I call Canada Post about it they just say "well they must have gotten busy". I also have a picture of an 8.5x11 document that says in big bold letters "DO NOT BED", bent to a perfect 90 degree angle as the guy jammed it in my mailbox.

I want to have sympathy with them, but their service levels make it seriously difficult.
Nov 26, 2018
1 posts
I feel your pain I’ve had order 2 packages and they have all been sent back to the sender and that’s money wasted and I’m sick and tired of it to
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1273 posts
873 upvotes
canada
GiuseppeC72887 wrote: Same here, they don't even try, i paid shipping to my door, i was home and all they do, dropped a delivery attempt (like if they do attempt) notice card in my mail box, so i have to drive on my own time, fuel expense, etc to pick up the parcel because they are lazy? And they are on strike, for what? Terrible service, overprice like i ve never seen in any other country, they are overpaid for what they do. When you call to complain, it goes nowhere.
thebigd wrote: I know this is an old, ongoing thread, but my experience is the same. The person who delivers are mail is a complete idiot. Delivery attempts are never made. I work 12 hour rotating shifts, so I'm only gone from the house for work 6 days per month - I'm home a lot - numerous times I will track a package only to be told I need to pick it up at shoppers drug mart - I'm home, the doorbell never rings. They just don't care. Once , I kept checking the tracking website, it said 'parcel out for delivery'. You think the guy showed up? Of course not. They just don't care. After waiting most of the day, it was 'still out for delivery' at 7 PM. I really needed what was being delivered, so I waited home all day for the part, in case signature was required. Didnt show, and when I call Canada Post about it they just say "well they must have gotten busy". I also have a picture of an 8.5x11 document that says in big bold letters "DO NOT BED", bent to a perfect 90 degree angle as the guy jammed it in my mailbox.

I want to have sympathy with them, but their service levels make it seriously difficult.
ElizabethS99997 wrote: I feel your pain I’ve had order 2 packages and they have all been sent back to the sender and that’s money wasted and I’m sick and tired of it to
Okay so I had problems like you guys. After 10-15 phone calls it’s been resolved. Get aggressive, call CA support create 2-3 tickets ask for a call back from the depot or skip that and ask for ur local depot number, get that number and speak to one of the supervisors, have them understand you got a mailbox at ur house and the postal worker is lazy and ur entire block is fed up. Also catch ur postal worker and confront him. Rotatingly speak to all the supervisors at the depot until they get it that you won’t let off. *note some sups They will make excuses and you let them know those don’t apply, the posty does it with everyone on ur block, ZERO instruction to just card or sig required, zero knocks EVER, ZERO bells ring, cards pre made dropped in the slot and they runaway.

Some of you aren’t fed up enough. No one guided me thru the process I was just fed up and had the will power to correct the situation.
Jun 5, 2008
76 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
I've had this happen many times. Just recently had 2 boxes delivered from Amazon the other day. Amazon's delivery service rang the doorbell to drop off my first box. Canada Post dropped off a notice to pickup myself in place of ringing the doorbell. There was 2 people home at the time.
Oct 31, 2018
66 posts
44 upvotes
Burlington
I've been through several mail carriers over the years and they actually do deliver to my door and don't leave me a pickup notice. I must have won some sort of lottery.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
Happened to me today for the first time. Tracking said package was going to arrive today. Went to get the mail at noon, notice was inside my community mailbox. Heading to shoppers tomorrow.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
It happened a few times to me and I escalated the complaint and spoke to a supervisor.
Dec 15, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
I live in an apartment on the third floor above some stores. The mailboxes are on the second floor.
The excuse i get is that health and safety because they cant see their truck from my door.
They cant see their truck from the mailbox either so thats a crock.
They actually went ahead to tell me they are trying to get our mail sent to the mail boxes downstairs. Those mailboxes belong to business's and the door to get to them is locked when they're not open.
So basically they tell me that they are going to make my mail inaccessible before 8am and after 6pm.
Each and every package says right in the address to LEAVE AT DOOR.
Also as a note they fill out the cards hours before theyre delivered 30 feet from my door.
Itll say dropped at 9am but its more like noon.
I get a lot and i mean a lot of packages and canada post is the only one who has excuse after excuse why they cant knock on my door.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5882 posts
998 upvotes
Toronto
I was home yesterday. I went outside for a minute and noticed a box on the edge of my porch ready to fall down the steps. It was a Canada Post delivery. They didn't bother to ring the door bell let alone place the entire box on the porch. It was so over the edge of the porch that one gust of wind and it would have fallen down the steps.