• Oct 15th, 2018 5:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3665 posts
2810 upvotes
Toronto

Canada Post new option: Delivery Preference

FYI, was checking tracking today online and there was a new option in the tracking results screen to set your "delivery preference". It says, "Select a delivery preference, in case you're unavailable when we deliver this item. This option is available for a limited time." Clicking through and it says: "Select a delivery preference, in case you're unavailable when we deliver this item. We'll make a reasonable effort to accommodate your request." And then there's a drop down list to select: front door, side door, garage, front desk or superintendent, or deliver to post office.

More info here: LINK

According to my quick glance at it, it can't be used if signature required, and they'll first try to deliver it normally *before* using your preference on the second attempt, which is an issue because that isn't prominently stated. Probably some people will select, say, side door, and complain it was left on their porch because that's the default method. And of course, there will be delivery staff that will miss the delivery preference on the box...
13 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2644 posts
1463 upvotes
Vancouver
Not sure it matters, i probably have 50 or so orders that used canada post this year and every single one was left somewhere @ my front door (they do cover it or put it behind plants/pots). Doesnt matter if its big or small package, its always there (good thing i have security cams setup since jan, makes it much easier to find/know lol).

Of course an easier solution is just use flex delivery when possible (and i do for any order > $100). No point having a SSD or anything electronic that isnt waterproof sitting in the rain all day until i get home (and since its fall, vancouver = rain season).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6709 posts
4223 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Now a fan of Flex Delivery... if we know no one will be home consistently in the timeframe, or the parcel coming is going to be too big for the nearby Super Mailbox.

Leaving stuff unattended is too risky these days.

Just this week I had a pkg delivered from Fed Ex... I was on the phone when he rang the doorbell.

By the time I got off the phone and went outside to get it off the doorstep (less than 10 minutes)... there was a teen standing in my driveway next to my car eyeing the pkg. My coming outside definitely spooked him (guessing he saw the FedEx guy ring my bell... and assumed no answer = no one home)

It’s a known fact that thugs now follow Delivery services... like FedEx, Canada Post, etc looking for opportunities to snatch parcels that are left unattended.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1155 posts
391 upvotes
London
mail-processing-canada-customs-slow-711 ... #p29651153

i pointed this out a couple weeks ago over in this thread. dont work on packages from best buy or stuff from 123ink/prime cable as they select the do not safe drop options. i been using it and having the guy leave stuff at my side door seems to work ok.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3665 posts
2810 upvotes
Toronto
aaron158 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 9:29 pm
mail-processing-canada-customs-slow-711 ... #p29651153

i pointed this out a couple weeks ago over in this thread. dont work on packages from best buy or stuff from 123ink/prime cable as they select the do not safe drop options. i been using it and having the guy leave stuff at my side door seems to work ok.
I had tracked a couple of things just yesterday and there wasn't that option, but it appeared today for me, so I thought it was new. Perhaps they are limiting the number of people who have that option available. Not a bad idea to start with a smaller group and work out the kinks. Good to hear that they have been following your preferences.
Nov 4, 2011
461 posts
281 upvotes
YYZ
Last time I saw this option, I didn't bother to ask them to leave it since they normally leave it for me anyways. I did see that if you select the option to have delivery preferences applied, then I'm accepting liability for the delivery regardless of what happens. If they Safe Drop it without me asking, then I assume the liability remains with the merchant / Canada Post?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4513 posts
1202 upvotes
Winnipeg
Canada post should inform their staff
Dec 11, 2014
37 posts
3 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
zappy312 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 3:52 pm
If they Safe Drop it without me asking, then I assume the liability remains with the merchant / Canada Post?
May not be the case. Depends what is in contract between CPC and the shipper & merchant for selected service type. The shipper may have an option to select if its OK to Safe Drop. If no contract, the selected general service terms or CPC Guide terms prevail.
Nov 4, 2011
461 posts
281 upvotes
YYZ
mayacara wrote:
Sep 29th, 2018 10:36 am
May not be the case. Depends what is in contract between CPC and the shipper & merchant for selected service type. The shipper may have an option to select if its OK to Safe Drop. If no contract, the selected general service terms or CPC Guide terms prevail.
Would I be responsible for the safe drop? If the merchant selected the option to safe drop then I would dispute it with them via CC or other route for items not received.
Nov 3, 2009
480 posts
158 upvotes
zappy312 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2018 3:46 pm
Would I be responsible for the safe drop? If the merchant selected the option to safe drop then I would dispute it with them via CC or other route for items not received.
Yes, you are 100% responsible if you select the option from delivery preferences. Clearly stated in points 6&7 here.
CanadaPost.CA wrote:You are solely responsible for the risks of delivery according to your delivery preference. Without limiting any other limitations of liability that apply to delivery of Packages by Canada Post, none of Canada Post, its shareholders, affiliates, or any of the foregoing parties’ respective directors, officers, employees or contractors will have any liability whatsoever for any loss or damages arising in connection with (a) your use or attempted use of the Delivery preference option; or (b) Canada Post’s delivery or attempted delivery of the Package (or failure to deliver the Package) in accordance with your delivery preference.

This limitation of liability applies (a) no matter what kind of loss or damage you experience, including, without limitation, lost business profits, property damage, personal injury or any other loss or damage; (b) whether the action is in contract, tort or otherwise; (c) even if Canada Post is expressly advised of the possibility of loss or damage; and (d) not matter what caused the loss or damages, including without limitation Canada Post’s negligence or gross negligence.

You will indemnify Canada Post, its shareholders, affiliates, or any of the foregoing parties’ respective directors, officers, employees or contractors against all claims, damages, losses, fines, expenses (including all legal fees and costs) and/or any other type of liability (collectively, “Claims”) that arise from Canada Post carrying out or attempting to carry out your delivery preference instead of its normal delivery procedures.
Nov 4, 2011
461 posts
281 upvotes
YYZ
Scott M. wrote:
Oct 14th, 2018 10:00 pm
Yes, you are 100% responsible if you select the option from delivery preferences. Clearly stated in points 6&7 here.
I knew that I would be responsible if I select it as my delivery preference, but it's moreso if Canada Post chooses to safe drop if I don't request it. In that case, someone said the merchant / CP has liability depending on their service contract, but as long as I'm not responsible then that's fine.

I don't see how this is a useful option for the consumer besides saving Canada Post an attempted delivery. I would order my preferences as placing it in my community mailbox, safe drop where I'm not liable, then probably pick up at a retailer. With this new option, the only option I could use is to have it delivered to a retailer which happens by default for me if nothing else works.
Last edited by zappy312 on Oct 15th, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 3, 2013
501 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
zappy312 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 1:27 pm
I knew that I would be responsible if I select it as my delivery preference, but it's moreso if Canada Post chooses to safe drop if I don't request it. In that case, someone said the merchant / CP has liability depending on their service contract, but as long as I'm not responsible then that's fine. I don't see how this is a useful option for the consumer besides saving Canada Post an attempted delivery. I would order my preferences as placing it in my community mailbox, safe drop where I'm not liable, then probably pick up at a retailer. With this new option, the only option I could use is to have it delivered to a retailer which happens by default for me if nothing else works.
Doesn't exactly save Canada Post anything; they're still supposed to attempt delivery first, then follow the recipient's preferred option.
Nov 4, 2011
461 posts
281 upvotes
YYZ
Injust wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 5:42 pm
Doesn't exactly save Canada Post anything; they're still supposed to attempt delivery first, then follow the recipient's preferred option.
Oh okay, well then. This seems backwards then since the only use case would be rather than safe dropping it, they would take it back to be held for pickup?

I assumed it would work like UPS where you can intercept and redirect your packages, but apparently it's not that logical.
Oct 19, 2012
154 posts
61 upvotes
Montr
is "delivered to the correct house/mailbox" an option

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)