Shopping Discussion

Canada Post Ombudsman - review

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2010 9:18 pm
Jun 2, 2008
485 posts
47 upvotes
Anathem wrote: That wooshing sound you hear is the point completely flying over your head.

The explosion sound is the typical RFD reaction to anyone's post - completely blowing a useless point way out of proportion.

So tell me, what is the point that flew over my head. That no matter what trials and tribulations that someone experiences in their life they have absolutely no right to post those experiences in a public forum because there is inevitably someone else in the world that "has it worse off so quit whining".

Don't flatter yourself thinking I didn't get the "point" of that ridiculous comparison. Nuff said
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
I don't understand how your trip had to be cancelled because of this. You do know you can get passport within same day if you pay the fee? The fee whih Canada post will reimburse you?
Aug 31, 2008
164 posts
12 upvotes
Ethan15 wrote: My case is somewhat different from a typical "I lost my passport". I have a planned non-refundable trip coming up in December and being non-Canadian I have to apply for UK + Schengen Visa to visit my family. This opportunity is hard to come by and I saved up for the trip plus it's been years since I last see them.

Wait, but you said previously that it came from the Buffalo Consulate, so I'm assuming that would make you American. Americans have access to Schengen for 90 days every 6 months without a visa, just like Canadians. I don't see why you'd need a visa.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1243 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
Cheap Cat wrote: Give me a break OP. How many times are you going to cry over this passport? You obviously don't know what enduring pain is or what being horrified or traumatized is. Go tell the victims of Russell Williams and their families how horrified and traumatized you are because your passport went missing. Or the enduring pain that you are suffering. You don't have a clue what these words mean. Get over it.

Next time plan further ahead.

+2
TheBull wrote: Not too sure if this belongs in "Shopping Discussion".
+1

Did we really need 3 threads about this?

Somebody ripped off your mail somewhere along the chain of deliver, most likely right out of your mailbox. I'd bet it happens dozens of times a day, and it sure as hell is not some massive failure or conspiracy on CP's end. Sounds to me like Canada Post did a fairly thorough investigation (that it wasn't fast enough is your issue, not their's), that you were compensated well, that you were able to replace your passport, and that you've learned your lesson about giving yourself enough time, and getting a signature for such an important piece of mail.

It sucks when you're on the receiving end of this kind of bad luck, but you really need to move on.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12371 posts
6236 upvotes
Toronto
Cheap Cat wrote: Give me a break OP. How many times are you going to cry over this passport? You obviously don't know what enduring pain is or what being horrified or traumatized is. Go tell the victims of Russell Williams and their families how horrified and traumatized you are because your passport went missing. Or the enduring pain that you are suffering. You don't have a clue what these words mean. Get over it.

Next time plan further ahead.

+1

Toughen up OP.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5554 posts
1753 upvotes
Canada Post delivers my snail mail a few streets over, and I receive snail mail from people from a few streets over as well. It's been going on for years.

After reporting it time and time again to CanadaPost customer services, they put a "flag" for my adress at the Post Office, still problem not solved.
I then contacted the Ombudsman, and basically they didn't do anything about it (made it look like a great investigation, but everything done from a desk, no field work) and the only result it yielded was don't bother us again for another year (you can't contact the Ombudsman for a year after they dealt with you).

So I still receive my neighbours mail (which I deliver to them myself since CanadaPost can't perform that task properly), and some of my mail still goes missing (I guess the neighbours don't feel like doing CanadaPost's job so they just throw it away or worse open it (I've had bank documents go missing etc).