Shopping Discussion

Canada post packages NOT sent to the closest office / shoppers??

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2018 12:51 am
[OP]
Mar 25, 2018
21 posts
1 upvote

Canada post packages NOT sent to the closest office / shoppers??

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I live in downtown Toronto and work a 9-5 job, often missing the package deliveries by Canada post.
They usually put the slip for where I can pick up my item.
The address of the post office is out of my way and there are 4 post offices that are closer to where I live.
I called customer service 3 times and this is what they said:
1. That is unusual! This may happen sometimes during christmas time when it's really busy and there's no room in the canada post near you, but it shouldn't be the 4th closest one
2. I don't know why this is happening
3. Sir it can happen where all the canada post offices are full and they send it to the next closest one (this guy was a complete jerk and giving me an attitude)

I have waited a week now and still nothing has been done. I just called and asked for escalated customer service and said I will have to wait an hour so they will call me when the next representative is free.

Has anyone experienced this and know how they or I can fix it? It's driving me nuts to have to commute to pick up a package when I get off a station where the closest shoppers / canada post is. It's almost EVERY package goes to that location, EVERY. Never one closer to me. I don't understand.

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2586 posts
1193 upvotes
Canadia
thaitea wrote:
May 17th, 2018 9:37 am
Has anyone experienced this and know how they or I can fix it? It's driving me nuts to have to commute to pick up a package when I get off a station where the closest shoppers / canada post is.
Sign up for Canada Post FlexDelivery. It's free and lets you specify which post office packages are sent to. I use it all the time because if a package doesn't fit in my rural mailbox, it's forwarded to a post office in Calgary -- a ridiculous 20 km away. I'd much rather have it sent to my local post office so I can drop by when I'm in town.

When the package is delivered, you'll get an email with a barcode. Just let them scan the barcode on your phone, show them ID and you're done. One bonus of FlexDelivery is that I seem to get my packages a day earlier because internal transfers to post offices seem to be a bit more efficient.
Last edited by retrothing on May 17th, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2018
21 posts
1 upvote
They offered this as well. I think I will have to do this. Though there are some websites that won't accept the address they provide.
It's frustrating cause I have stuff I would like to be sent to me directly in the event that I am home or my partner
Nov 25, 2004
991 posts
320 upvotes
London
thaitea wrote:
May 17th, 2018 9:48 am
They offered this as well. I think I will have to do this. Though there are some websites that won't accept the address they provide.
It's frustrating cause I have stuff I would like to be sent to me directly in the event that I am home or my partner
flex delivery is a good option. u could also try making a complaint though office.vicepresidents@canadapost.postescanada.ca and see if they will help u out. if they are unable to fix ur issue ask for a ticket number then email that with your complaint to ombudsman@canadapost.ca that pretty much takes it to the top.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3520 posts
2683 upvotes
Toronto
I suspect that the delivery driver just tells everyone to go to the same location for their undelivered packages and thus only needs to visit one Shoppers at the end of their run to drop them off. If you think about, if they were to tell everyone to go to their nearest SDM, they would need to look up which one is the closest for each house, carry slips for each of the nearby SDMs (they're pre-printed), sort their undelivered packages by SDM locations in their truck, and visit multiple SDMs at the end of their run to drop them off. In comparison, if they just drop off at one location, it'll speed up their run a lot. This might not even be official policy, just what that driver does to be efficient, thus the cust service call centre doesn't know what's going on.

Sometimes the closest SDM isn't actually the most convenient one. I signed up for Flexdelivery and use one that is slightly farther away because my closest one has bad parking.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2018
21 posts
1 upvote
Wow thanks, I will do so if I don't get the call back they promised.

How did you get these emails?
Nov 25, 2004
991 posts
320 upvotes
London
thaitea wrote:
May 17th, 2018 11:39 am
Wow thanks, I will do so if I don't get the call back they promised.

How did you get these emails?
the first one i got when i tired a complaint though the bbb years ago. the other one is listed some where on the canada post site i cant recall where if u do have to go to the ombudsman make sure u have your ticket number or they will not even look at your complaint.
Dec 18, 2017
68 posts
32 upvotes
jm1 wrote:
May 17th, 2018 11:15 am
I suspect that the delivery driver just tells everyone to go to the same location for their undelivered packages and thus only needs to visit one Shoppers at the end of their run to drop them off. If you think about, if they were to tell everyone to go to their nearest SDM, they would need to look up which one is the closest for each house, carry slips for each of the nearby SDMs (they're pre-printed), sort their undelivered packages by SDM locations in their truck, and visit multiple SDMs at the end of their run to drop them off. In comparison, if they just drop off at one location, it'll speed up their run a lot. This might not even be official policy, just what that driver does to be efficient, thus the cust service call centre doesn't know what's going on.

Sometimes the closest SDM isn't actually the most convenient one. I signed up for Flexdelivery and use one that is slightly farther away because my closest one has bad parking.
I suspect it’s more of an official thing. This route drops at that store, that route drops at that other store over there, and so on. I have a Circle K store a block away but it’s across a Main Street, which I suspect is a boundary of a delivery route, so my packages end up at the SDM a mile or so the other way.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
3428 posts
3473 upvotes
Don't waste your time. That's normal as I have the same situation as you and I complained to them 15 years ago. Today the same problem still exists. That's what CP told me 15 years ago : Each Canada Post retail store serves customers within the boundary of area. In other words, if your house location/postal code is located within the boundary of the area, all your packages will need to be picked from this Post office. CP does NOT assign the post office by the shortest distance, it is assigned by the area of boundary. To you, it is more logical to assign the stores by the distance, but it is more logical to count how many house/apartments/customers are served by each CP stores. Otherwise, some CP stores will be overloaded. In this case, some customers will not be assigned to the nearest CP store by default.

Now you can fix it yourself by registering the Flex delivery, but I cannot do anything 15 years ago. As the result, I did NOT shop at any online stores who were using CP as delivery carrier in the past like Bestbuy because by the time I walk this post office, I can go to Bestbuy pickup by myself. However, Flex delivery still doesn't fix all problem. If you apply for the Canadian passport, they will mail out using the address from your application and I believe you can't put the Flex delivery address in the passport application. Unless the passport application has separate option for mailing address now; otherwise, you still need to pickup the passport from CP store located far away from you.

At least I was lucky than you since I got the full explanation when I contacted CP first time 15 years ago, but you got three incompetent CSRs. Technology is really improving in the past decade, but the education level keeps declining.