Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Canada Post PO Box vs UPS Store Mailboxes?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2018 3:23 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2016
31 posts
12 upvotes
GTA

Canada Post PO Box vs UPS Store Mailboxes?

Hello,

I run an online business (ecommerce) and need an address primarily just for legalities of email marketing.

I am not planning on receiving any mail, or doing any mail forwarding or anything like that.

I was just about to get a PO box at my local shoppers drug mart which houses a Canada post, but then heard about UPS mailboxes.

I had previously gone into shoppers and they told me the address would be something like:

123 Fake Street
PO Box 23423
City, Ontario #PostalCode
Canada

Am I to understand that for around the same cost (CanadaPost PO box is 60$ for 3 months) that I could get a UPS mailbox where the address would be far more professional looking? What kind of address can the UPS mailbox have that the Canada Post PO box cannot, which makes it look more professional?
9 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14006 posts
4003 upvotes
Here 'n There
Why not just use your home address. Trying to 'look professional' by not having a PO box is so overrated.
Last edited by eonibm on Oct 18th, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1444 upvotes
Richmond
Every city has many private mailbox services available, with prices usually ranging from $100/year on up, depending on size of mailbox and optional services. Check around.

Most private mailbox services will let you specify your address in any form you want, such as Suite xxx, Street Address, or boxnum-Street Address, or even Company Name, Street Address. Just keep in mind that anyone can look up that street address online or check it with Google Streetview, so don't attempt be deceptive.

A disadvantage of using a Canada Post PO box is that it is not accepted as a corporate address for certain purposes, whereas a private mailbox would be.
Dec 7, 2016
103 posts
34 upvotes
I use my home address for my small business address. I dont get mail sent to my house to do with my business. Wondering why the OP wants a post office box or one at Shoppers address.
Sep 3, 2018
4 posts
1 upvote
funkynassau123 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 7:23 pm
I use my home address for my small business address. I dont get mail sent to my house to do with my business. Wondering why the OP wants a post office box or one at Shoppers address.
I'd be weary if the business has some hiccups or solvency issues, you may have people ringing your doorbell at all hours of the day.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14006 posts
4003 upvotes
Here 'n There
RichardRoma wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 10:16 am
I'd be weary if the business has some hiccups or solvency issues, you may have people ringing your doorbell at all hours of the day.
Sounds like planning your biz for failure. Not a good biz plan.
Feb 7, 2018
24 posts
4 upvotes
FreakyStories wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 7:39 pm
Hello,

I run an online business (ecommerce) and need an address primarily just for legalities of email marketing.

I am not planning on receiving any mail, or doing any mail forwarding or anything like that.

I was just about to get a PO box at my local shoppers drug mart which houses a Canada post, but then heard about UPS mailboxes.

I had previously gone into shoppers and they told me the address would be something like:

123 Fake Street
PO Box 23423
City, Ontario #PostalCode
Canada

Am I to understand that for around the same cost (CanadaPost PO box is 60$ for 3 months) that I could get a UPS mailbox where the address would be far more professional looking? What kind of address can the UPS mailbox have that the Canada Post PO box cannot, which makes it look more professional?
To answer your question...

Canada Post does NOT recognize the UPS boxes as legal addresses. What they do instead, is deliver to the store/building and it is up to the owner to sort the mail properly and put it in your box.

I deal with thousands of companies on a daily basis. I would say 60% have a PO Box and it looks fine. The UPS address would be similar but there would be no PO in front. It would just contain the Box 123. I have seen some UPS stores use suite instead of Box. If your primary concern is if it looks professional, no one cares. If you are running an eCommerce site and the only reason you have an address is for email marketing, a PO Box would be fine and look "professional".

That's my two-cents.

Justyn
Oct 15, 2018
16 posts
I'm in the process of looking into setting up a business that deals mail receiving, forwarding & scanning. Registered Office for corporations.

A hybrid between what Business Development Centre & eSnail.ca offer but at a slightly cheaper price.

Is there a market for a business like this?
Sep 3, 2018
4 posts
1 upvote
eonibm wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 8:03 pm
Sounds like planning your biz for failure. Not a good biz plan.
I don't think people plan it to go this way. But most businesses fail within the first 5 years.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14006 posts
4003 upvotes
Here 'n There
RichardRoma wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 1:15 am
I don't think people plan it to go this way. But most businesses fail within the first 5 years.
So they'll find you anyway.