Shopping Discussion

Canada Post saturday delivery via truck in the GTA..

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2011 6:01 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 20, 2010
155 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Canada Post saturday delivery via truck in the GTA..

Does Canada Post deliver packages on saturdays (specifically in the gta)? Just curious..
14 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
16519 posts
2211 upvotes
Thornhill
Only during the holiday season(December), so no, you won't get mail tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1010 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
I've seen them on Sunday before...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
5268 posts
1943 upvotes
Calgary
Ours don't always come even on days when they're supposed to come let alone Saturdays! :lol:
Mar 3, 2008
294 posts
125 upvotes
Calgary
I have seen them deliver on a Sunday before (quite surprized) in August.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4736 posts
741 upvotes
BC
canadianstephen wrote:
Apr 24th, 2011 3:37 am
I have seen them deliver on a Sunday before (quite surprized) in August.

Possibly a contracted parcel div. worker who prefers to work weekends as more chance of successful delivery (and getting paid for such)?

I find they deliver very late in weekday afternoons as well, again when people tend to be home - and it might suit their own schedule better (e.g. if it's a 2nd. job).

They are usually in their own white vans, but there could be an arrangement for using CP trucks at the weekend.

Dunno for sure - just a theory, and it may not be a Canada-wide practice.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
176 upvotes
Burnaby
I've received Canada Post deliveries at home on weekends at various times of the year, not just at Christmas. Always by contractors.

I can't see any apparent rhyme or reason to CPC's use of package delivery contractors . . . unless maybe they just get to a certain level of backlog where the local sorting plant is just jammed full of carts overflowing with parcels and somebody hits a panic button and calls in every available casual contractor to get the packages out and the space freed up.

Or maybe they just do it to mess with us because nobody expects to receive parcels from Canada Post on the weekend.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
1113 posts
18 upvotes
I often see the Canada Post trucks driving around on Sat/Sun=weekends but I was wondering why. Thinking that the crown corp Postal Service employees didn't work on those days.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
3694 posts
842 upvotes
Winnipeg
samkat wrote:
May 6th, 2011 6:40 pm
I often see the Canada Post trucks driving around on Sat/Sun=weekends but I was wondering why. Thinking that the crown corp Postal Service employees didn't work on those days.
Great comment...I guess they are just casually driving around on Sat and Sun...

Just to let you know CanadaPost is a 24/7 operation. And yes they work midnites also.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
176 upvotes
Burnaby
airmail wrote:
May 8th, 2011 3:20 am
Great comment...I guess they are just casually driving around on Sat and Sun...

Just to let you know CanadaPost is a 24/7 operation.
No, actually it isn't. It's a 5-day-a-week operation plus some very limited activity on Saturdays (a handful of mostly part-timers who work clearing the streetcorner mailboxes and picking up from the Retail Postal Outlets.) Those huge sortation plants in larger centres are ghost-towns on the weekends and federal holidays. The contractors delivering on weekends are picking up those packages from the CPC on Fridays. And of course the RPOs are run and staffed by the retail stores who hold the franchises, not by actual CPC employees.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4736 posts
741 upvotes
BC
Wingding wrote:
May 8th, 2011 1:34 pm
No, actually it isn't. It's a 5-day-a-week operation plus some very limited activity on Saturdays ...

Thaks for putting that in perspective.

I guess airmail's response was just to point out that there is more going on in Canada Post at night and weekends, that the public doesn't see.

But to call it a 24/7 operation beggered belief.

Doing their own limited background operations at night and weekends is one thing, but as far as the public they serve is concerned,
nothing happens at CP on Sundays and Stat. Holidays.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
3694 posts
842 upvotes
Winnipeg
I wonder who processes the mail and parcels over the weekend for Monday delivery.... I guess the ghosts.

Oh btw I worked Easter monday which is a stat holiday delivering parcels.
× < >