Shopping Discussion

Canada post seasons delays

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2018 9:39 pm
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
194 upvotes
Stouffville
Management stopped caring about its employees.
The union stopped caring about its members.
The employees stopped caring because no one else does.

Best friend works for them. He says at his station they do what they want because management is too busy breaking the rules for themselves. So mail doesn't go out, parcels are put on hold, and packets are left. If management writes them up, employees threaten to expose the mismanagement to HR, so management backs down. Such a shame.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16439 posts
8779 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 5:20 am
Have tracked my parcel across Canada (kind of interesting actually)... BANFF - CALGARY - TORONTO - MISSISSAUGA - and now MONTREAL all the while listed as IN TRANSIT
I ordered something from MEC on 23Nov that got shipped from Ottawa that Sun. Tracking showed that it took almost a week to ply the 401 because it finally showed up in Kitchener early the following Fri. Normally that means it would be out for delivery the same day. But no, it sat in Kitchener until Tue. It was out for delivery all day Tue but never arrived. Around 10pm that night status got updated to show it was rescheduled for Wed, when it finally arrived. Meanwhile I saw CP trucks driving around KW on both Sat and even Sun. I take all this as an indication that they've been swamped with deliveries and they've been scrambling to keep up.

I'm glad I did all of my Christmas shopping over BF. Now I can just sit smugly on the sidelines watching others worry about whether their stuff will make it home for Christmas ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9965 posts
7248 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bylo wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 7:33 am
I ordered something from MEC on 23Nov that got shipped from Ottawa that Sun. Tracking showed that it took almost a week to ply the 401 because it finally showed up in Kitchener early the following Fri. Normally that means it would be out for delivery the same day. But no, it sat in Kitchener until Tue. It was out for delivery all day Tue but never arrived. Around 10pm that night status got updated to show it was rescheduled for Wed, when it finally arrived. Meanwhile I saw CP trucks driving around KW on both Sat and even Sun. I take all this as an indication that they've been swamped with deliveries and they've been scrambling to keep up.

I'm glad I did all of my Christmas shopping over BF. Now I can just sit smugly on the sidelines watching others worry about whether their stuff will make it home for Christmas ;)
BF / CYM has up,until this year been a good marker of when to order in time for Christmas (~30 Days out) and still get to take advantage of the sales.

Now with the upshot in online buying... may have to rethink strategy for next year.

Several of my parcels, if delivered as their tracking says, will arrive in time. While one seemed to never to have had a chance from the get go.
Ordered a bunch of books from Chapters... and latest info is I can expect to see them sometime in January.
In this case, a few of the books were OOS when I ordered (2 to 4 weeks until Delivery) so I knew it going in... but to my surprise Chapters has informed me that all the books will ship at once, so the book longest on Back Order now is dictating the rest of my Order :rolleyes:

Sucks. But hey at least this was a “spontaneous” CYM Purchase (just took advantage of a great sale) so nothing is a Christmas Present ... just means I probably won’t be putting my feet up with a good read over the holidays ... too bad, cause I was looking forward to that

Lol... more than likely it means Chapters will see me in person to find / buy another book or two to compensate.
My loss, their gain clearly
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16439 posts
8779 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 7:52 am
Ordered a bunch of books from Chapters... and latest info is I can expect to see them sometime in January.
In this case, a few of the books were OOS when I ordered (2 to 4 weeks until Delivery) so I knew it going in... but to my surprise Chapters has informed me that all the books will ship at once, so the book longest on Back Order now is dictating the rest of my Order :rolleyes:
Many online sellers, including Amazon, will ship what they have right away at no extra charge if something is holding back the entire order. I'd call Chapters and see if they'll do this for you.
just means I probably won’t be putting my feet up with a good read over the holidays ... too bad, cause I was looking forward to that

Lol... more than likely it means Chapters will see me in person to find / buy another book or two to compensate.
Or consider ordering the e-book version and reading on a tablet or even phone. I get that people like the feel of holding a real book in their hands. But there are also a lot of benefits going for e-books. One is you get instant delivery. But another is you can carry a small library in your pocket and catch up on your reading any time you have a few moments, e.g. while passenger in a car/bus/train/plane, while waiting at the doctor/dentist/wherever, etc. I'm a convert and will never buy a paper book again.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 6, 2016
16 posts
4 upvotes
I got one of my BF orders from Amazon the Tuesday after, but I've been waiting on two smaller items that were supposed to arrive this Monday. The only update on the Canada Post page is "Electronic information submitted by shipper". Neutral Face I have three packages waiting to arrive from AliExpress since the end of October (I've received two out of five). I wanted all of these items before I am out of the country next week...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9965 posts
7248 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Thriftycat wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 10:38 am
I got one of my BF orders from Amazon the Tuesday after, but I've been waiting on two smaller items that were supposed to arrive this Monday. The only update on the Canada Post page is "Electronic information submitted by shipper". Neutral Face I have three packages waiting to arrive from AliExpress since the end of October (I've received two out of five). I wanted all of these items before I am out of the country next week...
You may have to look into having your parcel put ON HOLD* if it arrives while you are away...
Or make arrangements for someone to pick up your mail or any parcels on your behalf

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manu ... -10)_d.pdf

* always find this first one iffy... cause often the wires get crossed, and the item gets RETURNED TO SENDER
So now we just have a friend watch the post for us (collect mail = delivery notices = parcels) if we expecting a pkg
Dec 30, 2007
842 posts
40 upvotes
BodyTemperature wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:03 pm
I have an amazon order shipped by canadapost. its been 9 days since its shipped from amazon, but canada post tracking still only shows "electronic information received". theres no acceptance scan or any scan at all. anybody know whats going on here?
Don't blame Canada Post automatically, I ordered something from Amazon and it too said it was "shipped" but the label was created and it sat there at Amazon for 4 days...9 is a lot but it isn't necessarily CP.
The Cheaper the better
Jun 29, 2016
60 posts
51 upvotes
MrCheap wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 2:50 pm
Don't blame Canada Post automatically, I ordered something from Amazon and it too said it was "shipped" but the label was created and it sat there at Amazon for 4 days...9 is a lot but it isn't necessarily CP.
i have more than 1 order like this. and they are all stuck on electronic information received, past the estimated delivery date. really strange. either amazon is hiding all my orders in the warehouse or canadapost isnt picking them up

amazon offered to refund me but i dont want a refund if they are just delayed....really weird situation
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9965 posts
7248 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
UPDATE

Parcel in question arrived today.

Same date as the original ETA given to me back on November 27th
Very nicely beat out the Expected Delivery Date I was given this week by 3 Days

And everything arrived in good condition as well... always nice

So this experience, this time, with Canada Post was entirely POSITIVE Smiling Face With Sunglasses
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 5:20 am
Ok, here’s my situation:

Placed an order on Cyber Monday (November 27th) with a Cdn Co. Got Order Confirmation immediatey. Item shipped from Banff, AB. And the Canada Post Tracking began... ETA = Friday ~ December 8th

Have tracked my parcel across Canada (kind of interesting actually)... BANFF - CALGARY - TORONTO - MISSISSAUGA - and now MONTREAL all the while listed as IN TRANSIT

Expected Delivery is now set for Monday ~ December 11th

We live in Eastern Ontario, near the Quebec Border, so I am guessing my parcel will once again move via land / truck to my local post office before it gets to me finally.

I just hope it arrives in good shape (gift) as I clearly won’t have time to reorder another one if there is any problem.
*fingers crossed*
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
1758 posts
975 upvotes
Laval, QC
My parcels from Black Friday were all arrived fast expect one delayed till Dec 12th
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16439 posts
8779 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
MrCheap wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 2:50 pm
Don't blame Amazon automatically either. From media reports it seems CP is playing games to make their delays seem less serious. So when they pick up a load of packages at an Amazon warehouse they could sit on them for a few days before "accepting" them and scanning them into their system. Perhaps when they do that the tracking system will show them still with Amazon, thus shifting the blame for delays away from CP. That's what the tracking info for a package I got this week looked like to me.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11343 posts
4633 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
UPS isn't much better. A friend of mine called UPS the other day and they said that due to a 300,000 package backlog in Toronto, anything going through Toronto will be delayed - length of delay is unknown at this time.
Dec 30, 2007
842 posts
40 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 5:39 pm
Don't blame Amazon automatically either. From media reports it seems CP is playing games to make their delays seem less serious. So when they pick up a load of packages at an Amazon warehouse they could sit on them for a few days before "accepting" them and scanning them into their system. Perhaps when they do that the tracking system will show them still with Amazon, thus shifting the blame for delays away from CP. That's what the tracking info for a package I got this week looked like to me.
Well, I don't know about them "just not scanning them" I think their system is backlogged as well. This past week I sent out 3 shipments to customers and online it said they were still at the PO I dropped them off at, then in one day they were in Mississauga, then "en route" and two were delivered, all within hours.

But if anyone is sending anything at this time of year, and doesn't expect delays, then you're being overly optimistic. I love shipping this time of year, I get most of my products sent out free because I sent expedited shipping with a 1 or 2 day guarantee.....if they are late (and at this time of the year they usually are) I get my money back......

I warn all my customers that it could be as long as a week for delivery.

In case anyone is curious, this is what I make:

https://www.facebook.com/muskokacustomwoodcrafting/
The Cheaper the better
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9965 posts
7248 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 7:52 am

Several of my parcels, if delivered as their tracking says, will arrive in time.

While one seemed to never to have had a chance from the get go.

Sucks. But hey at least this was a “spontaneous” CYM Purchase (just took advantage of a great sale) so nothing is a Christmas Present ... just means I probably won’t be putting my feet up with a good read over the holidays ... too bad, cause I was looking forward to that

UPDATE

Got a notification today that Chapters have decided to split my order in two...

They have shipped Part 1, and will keep me posted when the 2nd set of Books arrive at the store.

WooHoo don’t have to wait to January... I have great reads to pass time with over the holidays
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1005 posts
373 upvotes
Oakville
Canada Post has been wonderful in my area (Oakville). UPS on the other hand has been a complete fu** up. Last 3 weeks all my packages are on 1 week delay. I get them but a week later than scheduled.