Shopping Discussion

Canada post seasons delays

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2018 9:39 pm
Jul 9, 2005
82 posts
17 upvotes
Me too... but just got mine today. A week later for an overnight delivery.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7869 posts
1120 upvotes
Toronto
I got good service with my La cordee order.
Signature was required and was surprised to find the slip they normally leave in my email.
My neighbors upstairs usually receive all the mail and distribute it.
In the past they have given me a Canada post slip 2 days after the 15 days was up.
I was lucky in that I did go to Shoppers just to check and it so happens they had the item there after the 15 days.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3278 posts
1840 upvotes
Toronto
I am expecting three things in separate shipments (from two different stores) and they were all due 3 days ago, all delayed delivery since then... what is going on ?
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Dec 31, 2008
178 posts
2 upvotes
Oshawa
I ordered several items (gifts) from the US at the beginning of December 2017. I was expecting that they would arrive in time for Christmas but they didn't. I was disappointed but understand that winter weather, and increased online orders will cause delivery delays. However, it is now January 17, 2018 and I have yet to receive any of my packages. I tried contacting CP a few times by phone but couldn't get through. I decided to try a few minutes ago, and managed to secure a spot. The waiting time is 10 minutes so have it on speaker phone as I'm typing this. I also contacted the sender to make sure that everything was sent and it was. In fact, I had two different tracking numbers, which showed that my parcels were in Mississauga, and had been there almost 1.5 weeks! I'm not kidding. I received no further updates after December 29, 2017 so do not know what happened or where my parcels are now. Also, the tracking numbers no longer work. Every time I key in the tracking number, it brings up a page explaining why my tracking number is no longer working. : (
The sender has been great. They have been very helpful and trying to help me locate the parcels but are only able to do so much. However, they sent me some free products and credited my account for one of the parcels for the trouble that I have been experiencing in not receiving my packages for Christmas, even though I told them that this was not necessary as it was not their fault. I have never experienced this problem before, and certainly didn't expect there to be so many issues with Canada Post until I did a quick Google search. It seems that there is a big problem with many Canadians not receiving their mail or packages, which is unfortunate. I usually receive my packages within a reasonable time frame, so this has been quite a frustrating experience especially since the items were being shipped from the US. I didn't anticipate there being any problems. I was wrong. : (
I am hoping that they will arrive soon but in the meantime, I am crossing my fingers that the agent (once I get through) will be able to locate them.
*I'm still waiting for an agent to answer. I'm at the 30 minute mark. : (
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7420 posts
4854 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Isabella36 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 2:34 pm
I ordered several items (gifts) from the US at the beginning of December 2017. I was expecting that they would arrive in time for Christmas but they didn't. I was disappointed but understand that winter weather, and increased online orders will cause delivery delays. However, it is now January 17, 2018 and I have yet to receive any of my packages. I tried contacting CP a few times by phone but couldn't get through. I decided to try a few minutes ago, and managed to secure a spot. The waiting time is 10 minutes so have it on speaker phone as I'm typing this. I also contacted the sender to make sure that everything was sent and it was. In fact, I had two different tracking numbers, which showed that my parcels were in Mississauga, and had been there almost 1.5 weeks! I'm not kidding. I received no further updates after December 29, 2017 so do not know what happened or where my parcels are now. Also, the tracking numbers no longer work. Every time I key in the tracking number, it brings up a page explaining why my tracking number is no longer working. : (
The sender has been great. They have been very helpful and trying to help me locate the parcels but are only able to do so much. However, they sent me some free products and credited my account for one of the parcels for the trouble that I have been experiencing in not receiving my packages for Christmas, even though I told them that this was not necessary as it was not their fault. I have never experienced this problem before, and certainly didn't expect there to be so many issues with Canada Post until I did a quick Google search. It seems that there is a big problem with many Canadians not receiving their mail or packages, which is unfortunate. I usually receive my packages within a reasonable time frame, so this has been quite a frustrating experience especially since the items were being shipped from the US. I didn't anticipate there being any problems. I was wrong. : (
I am hoping that they will arrive soon but in the meantime, I am crossing my fingers that the agent (once I get through) will be able to locate them.
*I'm still waiting for an agent to answer. I'm at the 30 minute mark. : (
And therein lies the problem most likely...

Your parcels got stuck in the Seasonal Customs Bottleneck / Backlog

Waiting to see what CP tells you
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14653 posts
7052 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I bought some fake Philips Sonicare toothbrush heads on AliExpress in December. The order was shipped by China Post on 08Dec17. Total value, including free shipping, was under CA$10. Today the doorbell rings and a friendly CPC guy has the package in hand. He wants me to sign for it on his terminal. No problem. That saves me a trip to the SuperMailbox.

But what astonishes me is how the Chinese seller can make any money on this. I imagine if I wanted to send the same package to China, especially with signature proof of delivery, it would cost way more than $10 just for shipping.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7420 posts
4854 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bylo wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 3:01 pm
I bought some fake Philips Sonicare toothbrush heads on AliExpress in December. The order was shipped by China Post on 08Dec17. Total value, including free shipping, was under CA$10. Today the doorbell rings and a friendly CPC guy has the package in hand. He wants me to sign for it on his terminal. No problem. That saves me a trip to the SuperMailbox.

But what astonishes me is how the Chinese seller can make any money on this. I imagine if I wanted to send the same package to China, especially with signature proof of delivery, it would cost way more than $10 just for shipping.
This is WHY Canada Post is losing money.

When WE pay for post it covers the costs for Canada to get the parcel TO the other country, then their Post takes over.
Same here.

Unfortunately our outgoing mail is priced appropriately for us the consumer
But not so for incoming mail

Explains WHY we pay so much to send stuff both at home and abroad
Dec 31, 2008
178 posts
2 upvotes
Oshawa
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 2:52 pm
And therein lies the problem most likely...

Your parcels got stuck in the Seasonal Customs Bottleneck / Backlog

Waiting to see what CP tells you
I spoke with an agent at CP and he asked me for the two tracking numbers that I had. He found no more additional information to what I already shared here. He also informed me that the last date listed was December 29, 2017. I was surprised as I thought CP had access to more information but he didn't. He told me to contact the sender and have them file an investigation claim with USPS as they will in turn, contact CP to investigate. I asked him how likely was it that I would receive my parcels, and he said that he wasn't sure since it is difficult to get more information based on the tracking numbers. This doesn't sound promising but I am hoping that perhaps they are in a warehouse ready to be shipped out but unable to at this time due to a backlog, as you suggested. I contacted the sender, and they have been great. Hopefully it will get resolved soon but guessing that it may take a few weeks.
May 31, 2016
429 posts
376 upvotes
I don't know if it's CP, another shipper, or people scamming me but I still have 3(!) outstanding orders from 11/11 that have not came in.

One refunded me asking that I pay on delivery.

A second claims that from their shipping tracking (which they won't give me) the parcel is in Canada and no longer their problem.

The third gave me a shipping number without saying/linking to the shipping company. After testing everyone I can think of I have came up empty.
Jul 6, 2017
81 posts
38 upvotes
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 12:22 am
A second claims that from their shipping tracking (which they won't give me) the parcel is in Canada and no longer their problem.

The third gave me a shipping number without saying/linking to the shipping company. After testing everyone I can think of I have came up empty.
Dispute both of them.

For the third one, put the tracking number into 17track.net or a similar site which can auto-detect the carrier.
Jul 13, 2007
728 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 3:08 pm
This is WHY Canada Post is losing money.

-snip-

Explains WHY we pay so much to send stuff both at home and abroad
If Canada Post's first reaction for every money-loser wasn't "RAISE DOMESTIC PRICES", someone would buy a container of Chinese goods and sell them domestically.

It doesn't need to be as cheap as China, but $10 to ship a $1-2 item... I'll buy the $1 free-shipping item and wait TYVM.
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29506 posts
2263 upvotes
Winnipeg
HammerRFDer wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 11:38 pm
If Canada Post's first reaction for every money-loser wasn't "RAISE DOMESTIC PRICES", someone would buy a container of Chinese goods and sell them domestically.

It doesn't need to be as cheap as China, but $10 to ship a $1-2 item... I'll buy the $1 free-shipping item and wait TYVM.
just raise the price on international shipment then
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14653 posts
7052 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
divx wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 12:30 am
just raise the price on international shipment then
If you mean Canada Post should raise their international postage rates, how does that help? We get far more packages from overseas, especially China, that we send overseas.

If you mean China Post should raise their international postage rates, why should they? And how are we going to convince them to do that?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29506 posts
2263 upvotes
Winnipeg
bylo wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 7:24 am
If you mean Canada Post should raise their international postage rates, how does that help? We get far more packages from overseas, especially China, that we send overseas.

If you mean China Post should raise their international postage rates, why should they? And how are we going to convince them to do that?
canada post should charge more fee on international shipment forwarded to them