Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
2244 posts
391 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Canada Post -- Signature Required

I paid for a package specifically with signature required, so it wouldn't be left at the door if no one was home.

The Canada post delivery person just dropped the package at our door. We heard a knock. We didn't even see the person. We never signed for the package! I think the delivery person signed it himself/herself.

Are they allowed to do this?

I've never had a package stolen, but was paranoid about this package cause I had an expensive amount worth of goods.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
I have had a cp agent fake my signature. Check for confirmation on the website
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
2244 posts
391 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I did check the confirmation. There's a signature, but I did not sign for the package -- nor did anyone in my family. I rushed to the door after I heard the knock to see the package on the floor and no one in sight.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2011
1049 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
Eh it should have insurance anyway. Everything is fine isn't it? At least it wasn't a card claiming "no one home" and it'll be dropped off at the post office.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
MilkyWind wrote: I paid for a package specifically with signature required, so it wouldn't be left at the door if no one was home.

The Canada post delivery person just dropped the package at our door. We heard a knock. We didn't even see the person. We never signed for the package! I think the delivery person signed it himself/herself.

Are they allowed to do this?

I've never had a package stolen, but was paranoid about this package cause I had an expensive amount worth of goods.
You are lucky. My lazy mailman just drop off attempted to delivery notice even when I am at home. He just drop off a truckload of parcels at the local CP office and make people waste gas and time to go pick up.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
2244 posts
391 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
WL1980 wrote: You are lucky. My lazy mailman just drop off attempted to delivery notice even when I am at home. He just drop off a truckload of parcels at the local CP office and make people waste gas and time to go pick up.
Actually, I would have rather this happened for this particular parcel if I wasn't home.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1505 posts
564 upvotes
YVR, BC
you are lucky! most times they leave the notice to p/u
Mar 5, 2013
497 posts
118 upvotes
Ottawa
MilkyWind wrote: I paid for a package specifically with signature required, so it wouldn't be left at the door if no one was home.

Something is missing in your story. Did you pay Canada Post directly to mail yourself a package? Or did you buy a product from a business and paid them extra to mail the package with signature required?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9135 posts
2092 upvotes
TBH I fear the Pickup notice more than I fear it getting stolen :D
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I think the majority of the time, they are doing you a favour by leaving it at your doorstep, since you wouldn't need to make that extra trip to the postal outlet to get it if you aren't home to accept the package. It's only when items get stolen that it becomes a problem.

It was interesting to come home to find our snow shovel propped up near our entrance with a delivered package behind it. We even had a $500 SSD that was left in our mailbox. You would think a signature would be required for that one. All I can say is, it's a good thing we live in a decent area.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
blueeyetea wrote: Something is missing in your story. Did you pay Canada Post directly to mail yourself a package? Or did you buy a product from a business and paid them extra to mail the package with signature required?
Why does that matter? The parcel required a signature, as OP was able to view it online, which you can't do with a non-signature item.

As a postie I would NEVER sign for something and leave it on the doorstep. Very serious offence in the Post Office.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4377 posts
1594 upvotes
I would definitely considering filing a complaint. If I understand you correctly, you paid extra for "signature required" which I would assume the receiver signature is needed. But if the deliverer signed for you or "faked" the signature, I'd consider that fraud...

I would rather they try, can't contact me and leave the package at a post office for pick up.
Feb 4, 2016
53 posts
5 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
It's not uncommon. I've had a UPS deliverer just drop off a package that needed a signature off at my home without ringing or knocking. Then he would put a notice up on my door saying "customer was not home for signature".

It all comes down to whether or not your deliverer is lazy or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
4437 posts
2954 upvotes
lol thank god no one mention tbe useless company know as purolator, otherwise the brainwashed purolatorhelps would chime in with his cut paste response and preaching his company policies
Nov 28, 2007
560 posts
248 upvotes
Etobicoke
That is friggin awful. The whole point of the signature is to make sure it makes it to a real person and if not to go to a postal outlet for safe keeping.

I would call and complain/create a fuss, as Canadapost will be able to track down which carrier it was that did this. Having worked for CP when I was a student, a lot of the delivery folks are great people who love their jobs but yes there was always a few terrible people who didn't give two *****s. They usually don't last long as too many complaints come in and they are moved to another job. But those complaints need to come in before any action is taken.
Mar 5, 2013
497 posts
118 upvotes
Ottawa
Hugh Jass wrote: Why does that matter? The parcel required a signature, as OP was able to view it online, which you can't do with a non-signature item.

As a postie I would NEVER sign for something and leave it on the doorstep. Very serious offence in the Post Office.
Hugh Jass wrote: Why does that matter? The parcel required a signature, as OP was able to view it online, which you can't do with a non-signature item.

It matters because if he, himself, paid Canada Post to have the item shipped (to himself) he can complain to Canada Post and have an investigation opened. If he was buying a product from a vendor, then it's the vendor who has to complain to Canada Post as he, the receiver, is not the direct customer CPC was serving.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2013
1402 posts
617 upvotes
EDMONTON
WL1980 wrote: You are lucky. My lazy mailman just drop off attempted to delivery notice even when I am at home. He just drop off a truckload of parcels at the local CP office and make people waste gas and time to go pick up.
That's same with me.

Doesn't even go to houses with deliveries anymore. Just leaves attempted delivery notices in mailbox and drops package off in afternoon.

I'll be sitti ng in my living room all day and see tracking update attempted delivery lol.

Sometimes if the package is no signature required and it's too big to fit in mailbox he still leaves a notice attempted delivery and drops off at post office. Post office workers always confused why my whole block shows up to pick up no sign required items
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
960 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
blueeyetea wrote: It matters because if he, himself, paid Canada Post to have the item shipped (to himself) he can complain to Canada Post and have an investigation opened. If he was buying a product from a vendor, then it's the vendor who has to complain to Canada Post as he, the receiver, is not the direct customer CPC was serving.
It's true. The "sender must complain" rule is terribly short-sighted and makes CP effectively useless in most ordering disputes, but they do adhere to it quite stubbornly.
Nov 28, 2007
560 posts
248 upvotes
Etobicoke
blueeyetea wrote: If he was buying a product from a vendor, then it's the vendor who has to complain to Canada Post as he, the receiver, is not the direct customer CPC was serving.
CPC may not have been "serving" the receiver as the direct customer, but it was the post person who forged the recipients signature, so yeah, he has every right to complain.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)