Shopping Discussion

Canada post strike is Over, mail resumes on 28-06-2011 (Tuesday)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2011 10:44 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes

Canada post strike is Over, mail resumes on 28-06-2011 (Tuesday)

From Canada post's website

[QUOTE]Canada Post to Resume Operations Monday

2011/6/26

Canada Post has initiated the process to resume operations following the passage of back to work legislation (Bill C-6, An Act to provide for the resumption and continuation of postal services). In accordance with the Act, employees will begin to report to work for their regularly scheduled shifts on Monday June 27 and on Tuesday June 28.

Canadian consumers and businesses can expect to start receiving mail on Tuesday, June 28.

Post offices that were closed will start to reopen on Tuesday and resume regular operations.

All mailboxes will be unsealed starting on Monday and ready to receive mail as soon as possible.

We regret the impact of the work disruption on our customers. We will move as quickly as possible to process and deliver the mail.

With unprocessed mail in the system and accumulated mail received from other countries that has not yet entered our system, it will take some time to stabilize our operations and to return to our normal delivery standards. Any mail in the system at the time of the work disruption has been secured for processing and delivery.

Canada Post will be working with large volume mailers within 24 hours after the passage of legislation to support an orderly and effective induction process. Mail pickup from commercial customers will resume on Tuesday June 28.

We thank Canadians for the patience they have shown throughout this labour disruption and are asking for continued patience as we restore our network to normal delivery standards.
[/QUOTE]
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
Repost. There is a thread in OT
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
6412 posts
2624 upvotes
Mort Réal, QC
Kenny Blankenship wrote: Repost. There is a thread in OT

Yeah, and also there was no strike, it was a lock-out.

Anyone who watches the news, listens to radio, reads the papers, goes on the internet (which you need to access RFD) or talks to other people/gets out of their house once in a while already knows about this too ;)
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3868 upvotes
Nowhere
WHO wrote: Yeah, and also there was no strike, it was a lock-out.

Anyone who watches the news, listens to radio, reads the papers, goes on the internet (which you need to access RFD) or talks to other people/gets out of their house once in a while already knows about this too ;)

Sadly, most RFDers aren't sophisticated enough to understand labour relations so they don't know the difference. One only has to read the ignorant comments here to see this.

I got my mail this morning and received a free gift card earned by redeeming My Points. Who says RFDers don't need the mail? Freebies come in the mail. :)
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7136 posts
3738 upvotes
Montreal
WHO wrote: Yeah, and also there was no strike, it was a lock-out.

Actually, there were rolling strikes followed by a lock-out.

I had no clue mailboxes were actually sealed. Come to think of it, I've lived in my area for two years and I don't know where my nearest mailbox is.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9537 posts
3185 upvotes
It was a lockout AFTER the union forced Cp's hand by serving strike notice, striking, and threatening to escalate their striking. Fair enough to say strike imo. CP was continuing to fully honour the existing contract until CUPW did that
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2011
1660 posts
724 upvotes
They're going really slow btw, only received a mail each from two of my address.We lost a month worth of mails and only get one mail, pathetic...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
6412 posts
2624 upvotes
Mort Réal, QC
I was merely setting the record straight, it was a lock-out. Not a strike.
If you want to buy in to Canada Post being FORCED to declare a lock-out (I haven't seen anything indicating they were forced, such as union workers vandalizing/breaking machinery or threatening lives etc) then it's your opinion and you're allowed to it but, facts are facts and it was a lock-out, not a strike.

The rotating strikes, again unless you want to buy in to the lies by CP, were not preventing mail service from being carried out. The lock-out took care of that.

The law should've been to force CP to open its business again and let the workers back in, nothing more. But they had to go and make a law that prevents fair negociations and a lower pay adjustment than what even CP had on the table. A real shame in a so-called democratic country.

When you look at it from a "whole picture" point of vue, it's starts with Crown/government employees because they're easy to attack since public opinion is rarely in their favour, and then it's coming your way. Don't say you never had a chance to have a say in it, when you're taking position against the workers from the start.

If you're a company administrator only thinking about your bottom line, of course Sunday was a great day for you. If you're a worker, government or private, or if you care at all about democracy, than it can only be a very sad day.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
WHO wrote: The rotating strikes, again unless you want to buy in to the lies by CP, were not preventing mail service from being carried out. The lock-out took care of that.
The rotating strikes preventing mail services from occurring in the cities they were named in on the specified lies. Unless you want to buy in to the lies by CUPW that mail service was not affected yet their workers were not showing up to work.
If you're a company administrator only thinking about your bottom line, of course Sunday was a great day for you. If you're a worker, government or private, or if you care at all about democracy, than it can only be a very sad day.

That is your opinion. Many CUPW members are happy to go back to work because they feel the union wasn't looking out for their best interests in creating this whole situation.

Further, your opinion that this is not democratic is absurd. If the majority of Canadians wanted the postal workers forced back to work that would be democracy in action. Just because a small segment of society doesn't get their way does not mean democracy doesn't work.
Aug 31, 2008
164 posts
12 upvotes
laststar wrote: They're going really slow btw, only received a mail each from two of my address.We lost a month worth of mails and only get one mail, pathetic...
You do realize that they have a few weeks worth of mail to go through, right?

Additionally, most of the mail that needs to be delivered is probably still on the other side of the country since nothing has moved since the lockout started. The only mail that you'd immediately receive is mail that was at your local sorting facility on the day the lockout started.
Sep 9, 2008
67 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
Quoted from Cupw website :

Ottawa: First they were locked out. Then they were legislated back again. Now postal workers in some parts of the country are being handed a new delivery policy telling them they can’t deliver the mail even though they are back on the job.

“In some places, Canada Post is telling letter carriers to bring back mail, even if they aren’t finished their route,” said Denis Lemelin, National President of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers. “Piles of backlogged mail are sitting in postal depots while Canada Post pushes its employees around.”

In Montreal, Windsor, Hamilton, Scarborough and Kitchener, letter carriers reporting for duty were instructed to return all their undelivered mail to their originating office after eight hours of work. Prior to the labour dispute, letter carriers would have been able to deliver mail to all the addresses on their route.

The union points out that the new policy will further hold up mail delivery, which was shut down by Canada Post on June 14th.

“Canada Post has an obligation to provide postal service to all citizens under the Canada Post Corporation Act,” said Lemelin. “Instead, management continues to hold the public’s mail hostage.”

“The Harper government claimed it had to legislate us back to work because getting the mail moving is vital for the economy. What is the Minister of Labour going to do about Canada Post putting policies in place that delay large volumes of mail?”
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9537 posts
3185 upvotes
There were no large volumes of mail to deliver today being they stopped accepting it as soon as the lockout was called. Most likely less since so many people had stopped depositing as soon as a strike was possible. Might be large volumes to pickup and sort, but not deliver.

So they had some posties walking as slow as possible to try and "get revenge' and bank overtime today. good on CP for not allowing it to happen
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2143 posts
1566 upvotes
joker1966 wrote: Quoted from Cupw website :

Ottawa: First they were locked out. Then they were legislated back again. Now postal workers in some parts of the country are being handed a new delivery policy telling them they can’t deliver the mail even though they are back on the job.

“In some places, Canada Post is telling letter carriers to bring back mail, even if they aren’t finished their route,” said Denis Lemelin, National President of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers. “Piles of backlogged mail are sitting in postal depots while Canada Post pushes its employees around.”

In Montreal, Windsor, Hamilton, Scarborough and Kitchener, letter carriers reporting for duty were instructed to return all their undelivered mail to their originating office after eight hours of work. Prior to the labour dispute, letter carriers would have been able to deliver mail to all the addresses on their route.

The union points out that the new policy will further hold up mail delivery, which was shut down by Canada Post on June 14th.

“Canada Post has an obligation to provide postal service to all citizens under the Canada Post Corporation Act,” said Lemelin. “Instead, management continues to hold the public’s mail hostage.”

“The Harper government claimed it had to legislate us back to work because getting the mail moving is vital for the economy. What is the Minister of Labour going to do about Canada Post putting policies in place that delay large volumes of mail?”

LMAO What sort of propaganda is this. Their union is a joke.

+1000 internets to Canada Post for doing this! They KNOW that the posties are going to go as slooooooooow as possible so that it would take them more than 8 hours to finish their deliveries and they'd bank the overtime. I LOVE CANADA POST!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1558 posts
734 upvotes
theinvestigator wrote: Wonder how much overtime they raked in today.
NONE

Cp ordered the posties to return any undelivered mail to there depot after 8 hours work, to ensure none of the pissed off workers could bank any OT.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
We got two bills in the mailbox today and the rest was just junk. I am sure there are plenty sitting in the post office. Probably will take a week even two for them to catch up.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
laststar wrote: They're going really slow btw, only received a mail each from two of my address.We lost a month worth of mails and only get one mail, pathetic...

Your pathetic to think that you will receive your months worth of mail in one day..They havent accepted mail for 2 weeks...There is a MAJOR backlog.. and there also is a long weekend coming up.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
airmail wrote: Your pathetic to think that you will receive your months worth of mail in one day..They havent accepted mail for 2 weeks...There is a MAJOR backlog.. and there also is a long weekend coming up.

how convenient ;)
Apr 1, 2009
44 posts
I ordered something from Amazon.com that was supposed to be delivered by UPS. I still haven't gotten it even though the estimated delivery date ws between the 17th-27th. Do you know if the postal strike affected the delivery? It's my first time ordering through Amazon.
Jul 13, 2009
170 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
riverlet wrote: I ordered something from Amazon.com that was supposed to be delivered by UPS. I still haven't gotten it even though the estimated delivery date ws between the 17th-27th. Do you know if the postal strike affected the delivery? It's my first time ordering through Amazon.

No, UPS is a courier and is its own private company. You should look at the tracking and see where your stuff is, they have great tracking. Whenever I order from Amazon my stuff usually comes a day or 2 before the expected delivery date.