Shopping Discussion

Is Canada Post supposed to attempt package delivery to your door or not?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2015 12:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2905 posts
397 upvotes
Alberta

Is Canada Post supposed to attempt package delivery to your door or not?

I have lived at over 10 different mailing addresses in the last 10 years spanning across 3 cities. Always community mailboxes.

Canada Post has consistently put parcels that fit into the community box. No problems there.

However, for parcels that will not fit in the community box, is Canada Post supposed to attempt delivery to the door?

I have had them come to the door two or three times ever. Each time was a total surprise!

I have had people tell me that, by default, CP is supposed to bring parcels to the door but essentially never does.

So what's the truth?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
We will attempt to deliver packages directly to you, but in some situations we leave a delivery notice card instead:

If your residence is more than 500 m from your community mailbox, and the package does not fit in the parcel compartment of the community mailbox.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2905 posts
397 upvotes
Alberta
hitman_24 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2015 7:35 pm
We will attempt to deliver packages directly to you, but in some situations we leave a delivery notice card instead:

If your residence is more than 500 m from your community mailbox, and the package does not fit in the parcel compartment of the community mailbox.
I have always lived within 50 meters of the community box, at all addresses.

Does CP have an equivalent to a "Signature Not Required" sticker that the couriers have? I want CP to actually deliver to my door, and to just drop the packages (always, if possible)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
scouzer wrote:
Nov 5th, 2015 7:36 pm
I have always lived within 50 meters of the community box, at all addresses.

Does CP have an equivalent to a "Signature Not Required" sticker that the couriers have? I want CP to actually deliver to my door, and to just drop the packages (always, if possible)
well that answers your question
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2905 posts
397 upvotes
Alberta
hitman_24 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2015 7:37 pm
well that answers your question
What? I have often been home... 2 different questions. No delivery is attempted the vast majority of the time.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
scouzer wrote:
Nov 5th, 2015 7:39 pm
What? I have often been home... 2 different questions. No delivery is attempted the vast majority of the time.
your question was are they supposed to attempt delivery. in your case the answer is yes being that your within 500m of the community box.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1703 posts
1159 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I got mix.
Sometime the item is left in the community box with key in my mail box to collect it.
Sometime they bring it to my door.
I think depends on the size of the package.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7284 posts
1653 upvotes
Mississauga
I live in Mississauga. If the parcel fits in the Community box that's where they put the parcel and they put the key in our mail box. If the parcel is too big they knock on our door and if were not home they leave a parcel pick up notice.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7557 posts
1446 upvotes
I called them about the same problem once, they are suggested to attempt before dropping off the package notice but they usually don't as you suggested. Reason is the carrier may report back to the higher up is they don't have time, volume is too high that day or something which the supervisor can't do much.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Jun 7, 2012
29 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
According to the mail carrier in my area they are NOT ALLOWED to bring packages to the door no matter how close you are to the community box (I live right next to the box). The only exception is if the package is 'signature required'. This is what the carrier has told me.

Packages that fit in the community box are always left in the box and packages that don't fit have a notice left in the mail compartment to go pick it up the next day after 1pm.

I have gotten packages at the door but it is only when the regular carrier is on holidays or out sick - I once asked the fill-in carrier why I was getting something to the door and was told "we always make a delivery attempt" .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5465 posts
1631 upvotes
Space
They're suppose to do many things but always find excuses on not to do them. I've never once had an attempted delivery at my new place. I just receive slips that an attempt was made ( which is BS ). Canada post in my town is a joke.
Jan 13, 2011
462 posts
8 upvotes
i never had canada post attempt door delivery if its a small item they put it in the mail box in the package compartment with the key otherwise I get the tag to pick up at the post office
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2991 posts
457 upvotes
So far, no. This includes envelopes requiring a signature. We have a little barker who always announces anyone at the door. Twice I have been successful over a period of many years in catching the driver who has left the card without knocking.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15624 posts
5851 upvotes
It should depend on the type of service the sender has purchased. Many people are under the impression that for regular parcel delivery they have to deliver it to your door, but that's not in the terms and conditions of the service that the shipper paid for.

My opinion is that the problem is some carriers are just too nice - and don't get me wrong, I appreciate that. Many will use their discretion and go against the rules to get you your package delivered to your house. Sometimes people like it, other times people complain (like when they leave a package at your door). Because carriers are people too, some say "Gee, I would like my package delivered" or "Gee, I would like my package left behind", and go against what they are required to do.