Canada Post workers vote in favour of strike action

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2018 11:12 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9460 posts
3855 upvotes
Toronto
After delaying 2 days....I got my package!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jul 17, 2018
224 posts
50 upvotes
A friend of mine works for a courier company. They directed him to pickup items at Canada Post. He refused stating he doesnt cross picket lines.

Regardless of if you agree or not with the politics, you're a scab if you cross a picket line.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8908 posts
1973 upvotes
Trump University
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 2:37 pm
where do you live....approximately? Old Toronto?
...Life is Good 😎
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10990 posts
2430 upvotes
GTA
Iamashill wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 3:03 pm
A friend of mine works for a courier company. They directed him to pickup items at Canada Post. He refused stating he doesnt cross picket lines.

Regardless of if you agree or not with the politics, you're a scab if you cross a picket line.
Tell your friend that the posties appreciate that bigtime.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6255 posts
3851 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Iamashill wrote:

Explain

Cause as written, this second hand story your friend told you makes no sense

No one at Canada Post is going to call a Courier Company to take over the delivery of pkgs they already have in their possession

I get it if say it was a situation like the City of Calgary (news story linked above) where someone has made a decision that while Canada Post is in labour negotiations / strike mode, that to ensure good Customer Service that as a Canada Post regular client they make the decision to switch to a Courier Co. for the duration

This happens all the time during Postal Strikes... Cos look elswhere for prompt delivery to their customers

That makes total sense
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2732 posts
297 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 2:37 pm
Amazon came a day early and Koodo is 2 days late so far. However tracking hasn't updated. Here's hoping for tomorrow.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9460 posts
3855 upvotes
Toronto
New Toronto.
Corleone187 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 4:18 pm
where do you live....approximately? Old Toronto?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4464 posts
1162 upvotes
Winnipeg
Iamashill wrote:

FYI. 40k members were working that day.
What would you call them?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4464 posts
1162 upvotes
Winnipeg
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 12:47 pm
More money more problems.
Cupw is no longer a labour union. They are negotiating for the betterment of Canada...nothing like standing there ground on postal banking pipe dream and hybrid vehicles....and world peace too.
The union is just pushing the employees to the bottom of wages compared to their counterparts.

“This isn’t just about wages and benefits – postal workers are negotiating for climate leadership and expanded services that improve the lives of everyone in this country,” said Megan Whitfield, CUPW Toronto Local President.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1824 posts
587 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Canada Post does have a problem though. They are competing against delivery companies that pay far less. Therefore they need efficiency, or they need government subsidies. Not sure how they can compete against these other delivery companies, and I doubt door-to-door breaks even.

That being said, I received an email last week from Telus, they are now going with emails on all billing. No more Telus bills to find in the mailbox.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4464 posts
1162 upvotes
Winnipeg
poleman wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 7:57 pm
Canada Post does have a problem though. They are competing against delivery companies that pay far less. Therefore they need efficiency, or they need government subsidies. Not sure how they can compete against these other delivery companies, and I doubt door-to-door breaks even.

That being said, I received an email last week from Telus, they are now going with emails on all billing. No more Telus bills to find in the mailbox.
WRONG....Canada Post carriers actually are the least paid because cupw is more focused on world peace, hybrid vehicles and postal banking.

“This isn’t just about wages and benefits – postal workers are negotiating for climate leadership and expanded services that improve the lives of everyone in this country,” said Megan Whitfield, CUPW Toronto Local President.

UPS 30.51. In 2020 31.79
Purolator and Fedex are also approx 2 dollars more an hour.
Feb 11, 2002
536 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary
So, can someone chime in here. I ordered a package from BC (originating from Vancouver). Are people seeing week long delays in getting packages picked up after submitting the electronic shipping info? I thought delays were only a couple days typically with the rotating strikes?

Thanks
Mar 10, 2018
783 posts
32 upvotes
str8jkt wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 12:23 pm
So, can someone chime in here. I ordered a package from BC (originating from Vancouver). Are people seeing week long delays in getting packages picked up after submitting the electronic shipping info? I thought delays were only a couple days typically with the rotating strikes?

Thanks
I am getting mail so chances are you will get it. a bit late may be.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.