Off Topic

Canada Post workers vote in favour of strike action

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2018 10:47 am
Feb 11, 2002
536 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary
I wasnt as worried about actually receiving the mail. I am thinking the company shipping is using the postal strike as an excuse. I have an Oct. 24th electronic shipping notice submitted at 9 AM on my tracking info. Thats the only update. I would assume that in almost a week that Canada post should have at least been able to pickup the package? Not necessarily that it would have arrived to me yet.
Jan 31, 2016
117 posts
17 upvotes
Arva, ON
str8jkt wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 6:45 pm
I wasnt as worried about actually receiving the mail. I am thinking the company shipping is using the postal strike as an excuse. I have an Oct. 24th electronic shipping notice submitted at 9 AM on my tracking info. Thats the only update. I would assume that in almost a week that Canada post should have at least been able to pickup the package? Not necessarily that it would have arrived to me yet.
It's pretty common that they update the delivery process in bulk. First day, there's nothing. Second day, there's nothing again. But then third or fourth day, you can see the updates of the past couple days of the process.
Jan 31, 2016
117 posts
17 upvotes
Arva, ON
Are there some cities or places that are NOT participating a rotating strike?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6254 posts
3846 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ludwig3 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 6:54 pm
Are there some cities or places that are NOT participating a rotating strike?
As in by choice ?
Not that I have heard of... and it’s a strong union... so that would be unlikely / not fly

Believe that the rotation is as the word says... rotating

It’s hitting different cities on different days
(A few places have been back-to-back days as well)

And some cities are going to see more walk outs because they have more employees or have more KEY Postal locations ... especially Parcel Depots
(Remember Parcel is now the biggest piece of the pie @ Canada Post ... so Parcel Depots naturally is going to see more hits and ways of disrupting business).
Jan 31, 2016
117 posts
17 upvotes
Arva, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 6:18 pm
As in by choice ?
Not that I have heard of... and it’s a strong union... so that would be unlikely / not fly

Believe that the rotation is as the word says... rotating

It’s hitting different cities on different days
(A few places have been back-to-back days as well)

And some cities are going to see more walk outs because they have more employees or have more KEY Postal locations ... especially Parcel Depots
(Remember Parcel is now the biggest piece of the pie @ Canada Post ... so Parcel Depots naturally is going to see more hits and ways of disrupting business).
You mean, postal workers of a certain city or place can't make a choice of their own?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10990 posts
2430 upvotes
GTA
ludwig3 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 8:49 pm
You mean, postal workers of a certain city or place can't make a choice of their own?
Correct. It's all up to National.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 16, 2007
383 posts
32 upvotes
King City, ON
XpressPost 2-day $18 [Thumbs up!] /s
xpresspost.PNG
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
4977 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered from amazon and they used canada post, it arrived in 3-4 days
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19841 posts
8456 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Bought an Apple Pencil off some guy on kijiji from London. It’s been in Mississauga since Nov 1. Every day I get the god damn ‘your package may be delayed due to labour disruption’ tracking update. Now it’s scheduled for delivery on Thursday.

So one week to go like 40km at most. Must be coming via wheelchair.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19841 posts
8456 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Circuit wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 1:36 pm
XpressPost 2-day $18 [Thumbs up!] /s

xpresspost.PNG
Wow that’s brutal.

My package has been making the epic journey from Mississauga to Burlington since Nov 1st.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11979 posts
1745 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I would say that my package got delayed a day, due to strike action in Quebec.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Jan 11, 2016
117 posts
44 upvotes
Peterborough
airmail wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 12:32 pm
WRONG....Canada Post carriers actually are the least paid because cupw is more focused on world peace, hybrid vehicles and postal banking.

“This isn’t just about wages and benefits – postal workers are negotiating for climate leadership and expanded services that improve the lives of everyone in this country,” said Megan Whitfield, CUPW Toronto Local President.

UPS 30.51. In 2020 31.79
Purolator and Fedex are also approx 2 dollars more an hour.
Where did you get your info about FedEx and Purolator salaries? When I looked up salaries it looked like CP was getting around$19-$20 compared to Purolator/FedEx $14-$15.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10990 posts
2430 upvotes
GTA
ChrisS489 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 7:37 am
Where did you get your info about FedEx and Purolator salaries? When I looked up salaries it looked like CP was getting around$19-$20 compared to Purolator/FedEx $14-$15.
You're quoting starting pay, airmail was quoting top rate for drivers.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 11, 2016
117 posts
44 upvotes
Peterborough
Hugh Jass wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 1:04 pm
You're quoting starting pay, airmail was quoting top rate for drivers.
Ahhh. Ok.
I see that FEDEX salaries as a courier is approx. $32000 to $50000 for a truck driver vs. $42,000-$47,000 for courier at CP. I'm getting this information from "indeed" website. Looks to me CP is still slightly more. UPS is $24000-32000; it actually says $311,949 for courier but something tells me that an error.
These are all averages.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Ojam