Off Topic

Canada Post workers vote in favour of strike action

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2018 11:12 am
Jan 22, 2017
171 posts
617 upvotes
The Canada Post mail service was never great (at least in my experience) but this is becoming quite annoying.
Letter mail is now taking over 2 weeks for me and expedited parcels are taking a week or longer.
I get that it's supposed to be a nuisance but is anyone at HQ actually noticing in the negotiations or are they just pissing off consumers?
I think it might have just been better to strike for 2-3 weeks but instead we get this prolonged saga that looks like it's going to extend into the holiday season.
As someone who buys and sells a lot online it's been a bummer. I even see prices on Kijiji on the rise because sellers saying local is better than getting a late shipment!
Dec 18, 2017
177 posts
65 upvotes
Rotating was a good idea to start with. At least it kept the workers getting some income, while at the same time messing with the business and hopefully prompt some new talks. Unfortunately, no one seems to be feeling any pain, except for the customers. I think it's time to just shut it down and force things to move along and get settled. And hopefully for longer than the 2 years they did the last time.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15843 posts
2124 upvotes
Toronto
Canada Post is better than any other delivery service for me. I'm greatly annoyed at them going on strike as now I have to suffer dealing with UPS and the random guys Amazon grabs off the street to deliver things who feel leaving a valuable package alone in front of someone's apartment door is acceptable.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Dec 18, 2017
177 posts
65 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 5:09 pm
random guys Amazon grabs off the street to deliver things who feel leaving a valuable package alone in front of someone's apartment door is acceptable.
That is actually Amazon's instructions to do that.
Mar 10, 2018
783 posts
32 upvotes
why the heck Canad Post workers delivering flyers and crappy tire catalog? Where the heck my letters and packages? Damn you union workers?

You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7173 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto
callernamet wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 7:11 pm
why the heck Canad Post workers delivering flyers and crappy tire catalog? Where the heck my letters and packages? Damn you union workers?

Cuz flyers and cdn tire catalogs are worth more than letters.
Parcels can wait, flyers are very important for dates of delivery.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4441 posts
456 upvotes
Markham
zero_ wrote: Yes, and would not mind seeing it get privatized.
You will come to complain they charge you 10 time higher price
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2335 posts
332 upvotes
ThunderBay
smartie wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:15 pm
You will come to complain they charge you 10 time higher price
And still go on strike.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15591 posts
3393 upvotes
Toronto
Tired of Canada Post period. Strike or no strike they suck.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7500 posts
1197 upvotes
Privatized (not going to happen with Trudau) would likely lead to lower prices. Read what happened in Germany
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
3387 posts
1675 upvotes
Exactly as soon as they go private they will raise the prices. I'm standing by canada post workers. Tired of upper management always trying to screw the hard working employees. Why dont they cut management, president supervisors first cause we all know they arent worth the salary they command. But this is rfd where people like to hate on union jobs and always complain overpaid

I love canada post. I have never had any complaints. Items come in on time, attempts are actually made at my door and the mailman sometime delivers the package and hides it out of sight.
Last edited by witenite on Nov 8th, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1374 posts
376 upvotes
Canada Post is on strike? Hadn't even noticed, although come to think of it I have had less junk mail to recycle.
Alex
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
3256 posts
1144 upvotes
Yeah, they just picked the perfect locations to screw me :(. I sent an express post to Sudbury (CRA). First they stalled 2 days in GTA due to rotating strike (decided to have 2 days instead of 1), then they chose Sudbury next. It took one week for my so called ExpressPost to get to its destination which I paid ~$12 for it.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Ojam