Off Topic

Canada Post workers vote in favour of strike action

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2018 10:47 am
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
4260 posts
4430 upvotes
Rotating strike is better than a full strike. However, the situation will get worse once it hits Black Friday and Christmas parcel delivery deadline. I believe Canada Post's profit will go lower as the big online players already divert the majority of deliveries to other couriers. The CP management probably will get a less year-end bonus in this case and I believe that's one of the goals from CP staffs.
Dec 18, 2017
177 posts
65 upvotes
Privatizing won't lead to lower prices. You can't get lower than a buck to mail a letter across this vast country. And their parcel rates are way lower than a private courier. Privatizing will just lead to them cherry picking the major markets and jacking up prices to send something to the more remote areas, if they service them at all. And by remote areas, I mean anything an hour drive outside of the biggest 15 or so cities. Germany is hardly an accurate comparable when you look at the size of our countries.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1513 posts
304 upvotes
St. John's
Am I the only one who can't track anything? All I get is Canada location and 'Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption'. No information whatsoever.

Also, Amazon has shipped my orders exclusively with Canada Post since the strikes started and used to only send probably 60-70% CP in the months prior... very irritating.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10042 posts
15900 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm mostly annoyed by not knowing if my mailbox was empty because of the strike, or if there was just no mail for me that day.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Oct 14, 2017
740 posts
456 upvotes
GTA
Thankfully, we're not very reliant on timely mail delivery, so although the rotating strikes are still annoying, they only have a limited effect on us.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4735 posts
1157 upvotes
Alberta
Rotating strike doesn’t bother me, I just don’t get mail for that one day. As long as it’s not a full on strike I’m ok with it.
Mar 20, 2011
84 posts
33 upvotes
Langley, BC
djeffery wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 6:50 am
Privatizing won't lead to lower prices. You can't get lower than a buck to mail a letter across this vast country. And their parcel rates are way lower than a private courier.
Not always the case. In my experience FedEx ground can often beat CanadaPost's prices, provided you go to an official FedEx shipping office.
djeffery wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 6:50 am
Privatizing will just lead to them cherry picking the major markets and jacking up prices to send something to the more remote areas, if they service them at all. And by remote areas, I mean anything an hour drive outside of the biggest 15 or so cities. Germany is hardly an accurate comparable when you look at the size of our countries.
Canada Post's parcel rates to ship outside of cities are already jacked up to absurd levels - see this example when this person on Reddit wanted to ship something to Northern Canada, and yes this IS Canada Post shipping:
It's actually why I never buy the whole population-density argument as to why they charge so much. I don't believe privatization is the answer, but I do believe Canada Post needs serious reform. That's why I'm actually kind of on the side of the postal workers striking, to me the problems all stem from middle/upper management.
Apr 4, 2017
60 posts
71 upvotes
I don't understand why Amazon is still using Canada Post during the disruption. I have an order stuck in Canada Post processing hell and I've just cancelled it.

Amazon are you listening, my Prime is up renewal. You aren't doing a good job convincing me to renew.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10990 posts
2430 upvotes
GTA
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:01 pm
I'm mostly annoyed by not knowing if my mailbox was empty because of the strike, or if there was just no mail for me that day.
There's one lady in an apartment building downtown Toronto that leaves a treat sized mars/twix etc in her mailbox, there's a little sticky note just inside the box that says something like 'enjoy the treat'. I met her one day and thanked her for her gesture. She told me it was partly to know if the postie had been or not. Not foolproof by any means and I'm not suggesting you do it. Just sayin.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 18, 2017
177 posts
65 upvotes
CanadaJimmy wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:48 pm
Not always the case. In my experience FedEx ground can often beat CanadaPost's prices, provided you go to an official FedEx shipping office.

Canada Post's parcel rates to ship outside of cities are already jacked up to absurd levels - see this example when this person on Reddit wanted to ship something to Northern Canada, and yes this IS Canada Post shipping:
It's actually why I never buy the whole population-density argument as to why they charge so much. I don't believe privatization is the answer, but I do believe Canada Post needs serious reform. That's why I'm actually kind of on the side of the postal workers striking, to me the problems all stem from middle/upper management.
This doesn't really argue what I said. You can't hold up an air shipment to some remote town a thousand miles from nowhere as an example of price gouging based on some false claim of population density. My statement was that we can't use the German example as a reason why privatizing Canada Post would work. Germany is half the size of Alberta and has almost 3 times the population of Canada. Of course population density factors in. Fedex Ground probably doesn't even offer service to Norman Wells. A private Canada Post wouldn't either. They would only offer service to where they can make the money and operate cheaply (meaning lots of deliveries in a small area).
Mar 10, 2018
783 posts
32 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:01 pm
Hey I got one. But lots of flyers before that. Funny to see young poses delivering flyers all aorund but no mail. at last one mail after all.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Nov 4, 2011
431 posts
257 upvotes
YYZ
My last 3 shipments have all taken a week to move within the same city (Toronto) and they've been shipped by Xpresspost. This is honestly pretty frustrating since if there was a full strike I would know there's no delivery but now there's an undefined delivery timeframe.
Apr 6, 2008
641 posts
268 upvotes
I think they should just close Canada Post all together. Move the parcel service as a "lower" service of (CP owned) Purolator. Get rid of daily mail. Surely the government can move all benefit related mail (EI, CPP, OAS, Welfare) to a direct deposit based system. I hate mail. Bills can be seen online. Flyers as well. It's better for the environment to save paper as well. The only mail I get (besides parcels) is ads anyways. This is 2018 folks. Start the transition now. It's a little extreme I know, but these strikes are getting frustrating. Canada Post has outlived it's usefulness.
Mar 10, 2018
783 posts
32 upvotes
zappy312 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:26 pm
My last 3 shipments have all taken a week to move within the same city (Toronto) and they've been shipped by Xpresspost. This is honestly pretty frustrating since if there was a full strike I would know there's no delivery but now there's an undefined delivery timeframe.
That's normal I guess. Heck I get amazon shipment from Quebec next day. But within Toronto its one week for some reason.
My UK Sim card even came n 4 days. Its like I will deliver when I want attitude by CP. I like Amazon uber type delivery. Next day.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)