• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2018 10:40 am
Dec 18, 2017
516 posts
216 upvotes
London, On
fusion2k2k wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 10:26 am
I think they should just close Canada Post all together. Move the parcel service as a "lower" service of (CP owned) Purolator. Get rid of daily mail. Surely the government can move all benefit related mail (EI, CPP, OAS, Welfare) to a direct deposit based system. I hate mail. Bills can be seen online. Flyers as well. It's better for the environment to save paper as well. The only mail I get (besides parcels) is ads anyways. This is 2018 folks. Start the transition now. It's a little extreme I know, but these strikes are getting frustrating. Canada Post has outlived it's usefulness.
I don't get why you are so frustrated if all you get are ads?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1793 posts
1118 upvotes
djeffery wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 1:48 pm
I don't get why you are so frustrated if all you get are ads?
Parcels. Been waiting for a couple for the last week or so. Almost everywhere that offers free shipping is through CP. From a business point of view, I just don't understand why they are redundant (CP and Purolator). Any private company should have merged or closed by now.
Dec 18, 2017
516 posts
216 upvotes
London, On
fusion2k2k wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 2:23 pm
Parcels. Been waiting for a couple for the last week or so. Almost everywhere that offers free shipping is through CP. From a business point of view, I just don't understand why they are redundant (CP and Purolator). Any private company should have merged or closed by now.
And they wouldn't offer free shipping if it was through Purolator, I'm guessing. And CP wouldn't make the same profit off the business if they rolled Purolator into their own operation, and they would have to spend a ton to upgrade Purolator's network to handle the CP parcel volume if they rolled it that way. CP handles more parcels a day than all of the other courier companies do on a daily basis.
Aug 30, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote
I have a parcel that's been stuck for a while. Very frustrated!
Images
  • Capture.PNG
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2858 posts
204 upvotes
summerxx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 4:14 pm
I have a parcel that's been stuck for a while. Very frustrated!
I am going to china to pick up my parcels. lol.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Aug 30, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote
ah, you reminded me, CP doesn't provide the option to pick up the parcel by ourselves before delivery
USPS is better on this point.
Nov 4, 2011
558 posts
334 upvotes
YYZ
callernamet wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 11:05 am
That's normal I guess. Heck I get amazon shipment from Quebec next day. But within Toronto its one week for some reason.
My UK Sim card even came n 4 days. Its like I will deliver when I want attitude by CP. I like Amazon uber type delivery. Next day.
The first time I thought it was a fluke, but it's consistently a week with the strike.

I miss the days when CP used to deliver from Amazon to me within 16 hours if they picked up the shipment around midnight and the package made all the transfers to reach my local distribution station by the morning.
Nov 10, 2018
2 posts
Everyone needs to avoid using Canada Post services. Their union has got one of the best contract negotiations I have seen. Yet the lazy empolyees complain about everything in the distrubution plants. So much drama that goes on which makes it a miserable place to work in. Otherwise the work is fairly decent and not complicated to do safely.

They get to pay at the time I worked there $5.00 for membership intitation one time fee. Monthly dues is $60.00. They get $23 in change for day shift as just a person sorting out mail for the BCS machine and multi machine. They also use hand sorters for their so called lost mail or mail that is rejected by the BCS machines.

Add an extra dollar to night shift premium rates for wages. Letter carriers make a little more. They get all major holidays off plus some other mandatory unoffical days off.

The management has a different union and they do ask to have the quota out for their time stamped items. If you get a paper cut it has to be reported to WSIB.

Most of the employees that work there at least in two of the distrubtion processing plants in the 10 years I worked there. It was their first job out of highschool. They really don't appreciate what hard work does consist of. So they complain everyday about something to not do their job.

For items that are heavy there is lift assisted devices. The work is repetitive which is why they rotate workers around to minimize repetitive injuries to back, shoulders and hands. Many do not last as they end up on WSIB anyways. Not all are lazy some actually work hard and send your parcels and mail out quick. But these people that work hard get hassled and told to slow down by other employees.

Pensions are good when you do a certain amount of service with Canada Post. CUPW is one of the few unions that workers actually can strike. Strike pay is not all great either so when they strike they are losing wages.

I enjoyed the work there but the employees not mangement were the issue. Drama and lazyness complaining about their work is too hard or find excuses. Which puts more work load on others that do work hard.

Other unions their memberships can run up to $1000 to get membership. $5 or $1000 which is better? Also some unions will also take monthly and weekly dues which is insanely high compared to $60 a month. Benefits and pensions are just as good if not a little better then CUPW.

However I have been a union member since I left highschool 35 years ago. In that time I have worked with 3 unions. And I returned back to one union only because I didn't have to worry about strike threats when negotations come up. Even though they are underpaid for the more intense levels of work load, stress and hazards then Canada Post.

The workers are not allowed to strike they work still while the union fight for what we ask for. Usually we get a decent deal and not far off what we ask for.

I do support unions but when workers complain about the same crap everytime. And the work is not as bad as other labour intensive places that get paid the same rates they do. Yes I have an issue with workers that don't appreciate what they have. I get economic hard times is here, cost of living is high.

You need to ask yourself do you really need to buy things that don't serve a purpose. Like a gold watch, BMW car, Big screen tvs to name a few. Food, clean water and affordable housing is what we need for basic living. The rest is just luxuray really.

Also when you ask for higher wages the products and services your company sells goes up. 10 years ago a stamp use to be 45 cents for a letter. Today over a $1 for a standard letter. Businesses that depend on a reliable delivery service pay large costs which adds to their markups.

A stable economy is what is needed and the more we ask for the higher everything goes up. So stupid if you think about it. The problem starts with the greedy people and then the government is where you should fight by watching who you vote not party votes. You can make the difference if you choose to otherwise quit complaining you need more and more when you have a kick ass job that is steady and consistent.

A lot of problems can be reduced just by having electronic billing and lading. Which some businesses and customers do. Not because they don't want to put workers out of work. But it is 10x faster then regular mail. Saves on paper and saves on ergonomics of workers.

Parcels there is other places to send to it is a matter which company gives best rates. Fuel surcharges are the biggest issues with under paid drivers. The trucking business is such a huge throat cutting business.

To lower oil prices stop buying plastic and buy more glass. Buy more local products then products outside of canada, province and city.

We make the difference not big greedy corporations. I could talk about many things I know first hand and experienced. Point is I am not even concerned about this strike. Because they strike for the same thing everytime and it don't effect my mail service.

Just a few thoughts to ponder on. :)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11572 posts
2974 upvotes
GTA
^^^^ LOL

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 18, 2017
516 posts
216 upvotes
London, On
Yes people are clamoring for 45 cent stamps so they can start mailing stuff again. Honestly, what the hell does how much a CUPW member pays to join the union or pay monthly have to do with anything? I imagine CUPW is like any other union, their locals set the dues. I'm in the Teamsters and my local has higher dues than other locals, and lower dues than others. Or maybe their dues are standard right across the country. Again, who cares?
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2858 posts
204 upvotes
ExCupW wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 10:46 pm
Everyone needs to avoid using Canada Post services. Their union has got one of the best contract negotiations I have seen. Yet the lazy empolyees complain about everything in the distrubution plants. So much drama that goes on which makes it a miserable place to work in. Otherwise the work is fairly decent and not complicated to do safely.

They get to pay at the time I worked there $5.00 for membership intitation one time fee. Monthly dues is $60.00. They get $23 in change for day shift as just a person sorting out mail for the BCS machine and multi machine. They also use hand sorters for their so called lost mail or mail that is rejected by the BCS machines.

Add an extra dollar to night shift premium rates for wages. Letter carriers make a little more. They get all major holidays off plus some other mandatory unoffical days off.

The management has a different union and they do ask to have the quota out for their time stamped items. If you get a paper cut it has to be reported to WSIB.

Most of the employees that work there at least in two of the distrubtion processing plants in the 10 years I worked there. It was their first job out of highschool. They really don't appreciate what hard work does consist of. So they complain everyday about something to not do their job.

For items that are heavy there is lift assisted devices. The work is repetitive which is why they rotate workers around to minimize repetitive injuries to back, shoulders and hands. Many do not last as they end up on WSIB anyways. Not all are lazy some actually work hard and send your parcels and mail out quick. But these people that work hard get hassled and told to slow down by other employees.

Pensions are good when you do a certain amount of service with Canada Post. CUPW is one of the few unions that workers actually can strike. Strike pay is not all great either so when they strike they are losing wages.

I enjoyed the work there but the employees not mangement were the issue. Drama and lazyness complaining about their work is too hard or find excuses. Which puts more work load on others that do work hard.

Other unions their memberships can run up to $1000 to get membership. $5 or $1000 which is better? Also some unions will also take monthly and weekly dues which is insanely high compared to $60 a month. Benefits and pensions are just as good if not a little better then CUPW.

However I have been a union member since I left highschool 35 years ago. In that time I have worked with 3 unions. And I returned back to one union only because I didn't have to worry about strike threats when negotations come up. Even though they are underpaid for the more intense levels of work load, stress and hazards then Canada Post.

The workers are not allowed to strike they work still while the union fight for what we ask for. Usually we get a decent deal and not far off what we ask for.

I do support unions but when workers complain about the same crap everytime. And the work is not as bad as other labour intensive places that get paid the same rates they do. Yes I have an issue with workers that don't appreciate what they have. I get economic hard times is here, cost of living is high.

You need to ask yourself do you really need to buy things that don't serve a purpose. Like a gold watch, BMW car, Big screen tvs to name a few. Food, clean water and affordable housing is what we need for basic living. The rest is just luxuray really.

Also when you ask for higher wages the products and services your company sells goes up. 10 years ago a stamp use to be 45 cents for a letter. Today over a $1 for a standard letter. Businesses that depend on a reliable delivery service pay large costs which adds to their markups.

A stable economy is what is needed and the more we ask for the higher everything goes up. So stupid if you think about it. The problem starts with the greedy people and then the government is where you should fight by watching who you vote not party votes. You can make the difference if you choose to otherwise quit complaining you need more and more when you have a kick ass job that is steady and consistent.

A lot of problems can be reduced just by having electronic billing and lading. Which some businesses and customers do. Not because they don't want to put workers out of work. But it is 10x faster then regular mail. Saves on paper and saves on ergonomics of workers.

Parcels there is other places to send to it is a matter which company gives best rates. Fuel surcharges are the biggest issues with under paid drivers. The trucking business is such a huge throat cutting business.

To lower oil prices stop buying plastic and buy more glass. Buy more local products then products outside of canada, province and city.

We make the difference not big greedy corporations. I could talk about many things I know first hand and experienced. Point is I am not even concerned about this strike. Because they strike for the same thing everytime and it don't effect my mail service.

Just a few thoughts to ponder on. :)

ExCupW
Nov 10, 2018
1 posts

post too long. But all I can say is I hate Canada Post. these are some of the laziest Canadian I have seen.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Jun 3, 2012
569 posts
218 upvotes
Scarborough
I used to work at Canada Post for many years and can confirm a lot of the employees are entitled, lazy, and abuse the system. To make matters worse a lot of management are rude, incompetent, and treat employees like prison inmates. The toxic environment grinds on everyone. There were managers that came in that were all cordial and chipper who ended up becoming absolutely miserable to work with. I'd prefer we privatize Canada Post. There's no reason people who do basic labour work should be making $20-30 hour with cushy benefits and pensions with little chance of being dismissed. I worked with a guy that physically assaulted a manager and still had his job. There was another guy that had a mental illness and would become aggressive and throw things around yet nothing of substance happened to him.
Jun 27, 2011
13 posts
5 upvotes
ST CATHARINES
Not sure if this was covered yet but does anyone know if their strike is affecting Amazon Prime deliveries? I only ask because my packages are always delivered by contractors rather than overly entitled CUPW workers... I suppose it only affects deliveries when the distribution centers are hit?
Apr 20, 2018
453 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Didn't realize CP strike is this bad ... I ordered something on thrusday, the business I ordered from said 1-2 days business day

I went to track the package .. got a message update.. delivery may be delayed by labour disruption

I rarely ordered things online, I should have picked Purolator instead.. this sucks
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2814 posts
232 upvotes
Multiple packages stuck in limbo.
Great - what a waste of everyones time. I wish we could just pick up our items from the facility.
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.