Off Topic

Canada Post workers vote in favour of strike action

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2018 10:40 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9138 posts
977 upvotes
I assume they plan to keep this going at least beyond Xmas to ensure maximum pain?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1381 posts
77 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 10:24 am
I assume they plan to keep this going at least beyond Xmas to ensure maximum pain?
maximum pain for Canadians and maximum gain for union. Unions never lose.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
May 31, 2008
586 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
I look at todays rotating strike hitting the distribution centers but I saw a stand alone postal outlet closed today due to the strike.
Are there some postal outlets that are closed?
What about the ones inside SDM?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7372 posts
4820 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
submalst wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 3:34 pm
I look at todays rotating strike hitting the distribution centers but I saw a stand alone postal outlet closed today due to the strike.
Rotating Strikes are going by LOCATION = City / Town
When ones on strike
Then it’s EVERYTHING as I understand it
As NOTHING is moving... pick up / delivery / sorting etc

Wait a day, or two... the walk out moves onto the next City / Town
That’s WHY it is called “rotating”
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1381 posts
77 upvotes
Canada Post suspends delivery guarantees
Canada Post suspended delivery-time guarantees to its customers Tuesday, acknowledging a lack of progress in contract talks with its unionized workforce Tuesday as a fourth week of rotating strikes began.

The Crown corporation also warned its customers that more delivery delays are inevitable after the Canadian Union of Postal Workers closed two major processing centres in Ontario and British Columbia.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1381 posts
77 upvotes
Lol. are they really on strike? Becuase I am getting mail every week. at least once.
Canada Post workers at Pacific Processing Centre go back to work as strike moves to Toronto
Jul 1, 2017
216 posts
87 upvotes
callernamet wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 10:37 am
maximum pain for Canadians and maximum gain for union. Unions never lose.
Maybe Canada Post should threaten bankruptcy.
When the automakers almost went under in 2008, they managed to renegotiate a lot.

Its sort of ridiculous. So, several years ago Canada Post went thru a massive restructuring because they said the regular mail was a dying business. Result: Uproar from Postal workers.
Now in 2018, they have tons of packages to deliver thru ecommerce. Result: Uproar from Postal workers.
Dec 18, 2017
296 posts
106 upvotes
submalst wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 3:34 pm
Postal outlets in private businesses like corner stores and SDM would operate as the host business decides.
Dec 18, 2017
296 posts
106 upvotes
callernamet wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 5:47 pm
Lol. are they really on strike? Becuase I am getting mail every week. at least once.
The strikes are rotating, affecting certain areas for one or 2 days at a time.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4974 posts
965 upvotes
GTA
No idea the strike started. No mails today.

How long is this going to last?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7372 posts
4820 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 7:41 pm
No idea the strike started. No mails today.

How long is this going to last?
Rotating Strikes started on Monday ~ October 22nd
So been going on for 3+ weeks now

No end in sight

If it hasn’t been noticed by you thus far... you probably are not the Customer who is highly affected

Mail & Parcels are getting thru... just on a way slower timeframe cause they encounter slowdowns and strike days enroute to their Destination

So something that would normally take 3 to 5 Days is now seeming to take 10 to 14

As time goes on... and backlog builds
(especially in the pile up of parcels going into the Christmas Season... those times will only increase... I expect a lot of folks are not going to get their Christmas goodies by mail this year in time if these walk outs continue)

The piles are just going to get higher and deeper at the depots !
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4974 posts
965 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 8:01 pm
Rotating Strikes started on Monday ~ October 22nd
So been going on for 3+ weeks now

No end in sight

If it hasn’t been noticed by you thus far... you probably are not the Customer who is highly affected

Mail & Parcels are getting thru... just on a way slower timeframe cause they encounter slowdowns and strike days enroute to their Destination

So something that would normally take 3 to 5 Days is now seeming to take 10 to 14

As time goes on... and backlog builds
(especially in the pile up of parcels going into the Christmas Season... those times will only increase... I expect a lot of folks are not going to get their Christmas goodies by mail this year in time if these walk outs continue)

The piles are just going to get higher and deeper at the depots !
I thank you on behalf of my family, for the straight up answer.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1381 posts
77 upvotes
as per CBC at least 180 trailers of mail is just sitting in lot. in scarborough. So PM wont do anything about this right? let taxpayers suffer then?