Off Topic

Canada Post workers vote in favour of strike action

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2018 10:40 am
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3076 posts
2452 upvotes
I was at SDM in Toronto today as I had to mail something to US.

I was told nothing is being picked up for at least 3 days.

Is this happening in the whole city of Toronto or just some locations?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5551 posts
1226 upvotes
GTA
BiegeToyota wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 12:25 pm

They rotate the locations, so your location will be back online after 3 days.
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2898 posts
225 upvotes
EBay warns Trudeau that Canada Post strike having 'critical' impact on retailers
EBay is calling on the federal government to legislate an end to the Canada Post contract dispute, warning that quick action is needed to ensure retailers don't lose out on Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.

The manager of the online sales giant's Canadian and Latin American divisions says continued rotating strikes at Canada Post will result in significant losses for small and medium-sized businesses across the country.

While those businesses have adapted as best they can to the strikes that began Oct. 22, Andrea Stairs says in a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the adjustments retailers have made so far to avoid delivery disruptions are unsustainable.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3076 posts
2452 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 12:28 pm
They rotate the locations, so your location will be back online after 3 days.
If they rotate locations cant't I just go to another Canada Post outlet?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5551 posts
1226 upvotes
GTA
BiegeToyota wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 12:39 pm
If they rotate locations cant't I just go to another Canada Post outlet?
Call CP and find out the nearest location still open? I do not know.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7091 posts
611 upvotes
Toronto
I have to wonder why governments stay in the parcel delivery service.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2826 posts
237 upvotes
Literally have packages stuck in Mississauga for 10+ days now. So frustrating.
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7091 posts
611 upvotes
Toronto
Businesses/e-tailers need to offer more shipping alternatives obviously, there is no reason for them to only have accounts with one carrier.
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2898 posts
225 upvotes
frogger wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 4:24 pm
Businesses/e-tailers need to offer more shipping alternatives obviously, there is no reason for them to only have accounts with one carrier.
CP is the cheapest available. Considering the small population and vast country. Heck FedEx and DHL are expensive like hell.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5560 posts
827 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered street parking permit on Nov 5 and it says on the receipt it will come in one week, but still nothing here.

what should I do, nov 30 is the last date of the current on street parking permit. Heavy Exclamation Mark Symbol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7091 posts
611 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 4:55 pm
I ordered street parking permit on Nov 5 and it says on the receipt it will come in one week, but still nothing here.

what should I do, nov 30 is the last date of the current on street parking permit. Heavy Exclamation Mark Symbol
I have the same permit issue, I'm sure they will hold off ticketing for 10 days or more like when they had the sticker issue a year or so ago.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7091 posts
611 upvotes
Toronto
callernamet wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 4:47 pm
CP is the cheapest available. Considering the small population and vast country. Heck FedEx and DHL are expensive like hell.
Yeah because they can make money by filling mailboxes with junk mail that head straight to the recycling bin. Still ridiculous that any midsize company wouldn't have switched over to alternatives by now.
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2898 posts
225 upvotes
frogger wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 5:09 pm
Yeah because they can make money by filling mailboxes with junk mail that head straight to the recycling bin. Still ridiculous that any midsize company wouldn't have switched over to alternatives by now.
This is the problem with CP strike. I get junk mail for a while. I thought they are on strike. Why do they still interested in delivering junk mail but not all mail.
Dec 18, 2017
532 posts
222 upvotes
London, On
frogger wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 5:09 pm
Because the other companies aren't taking on Canada Post business because they don't have the resources to be able to deal with it and also serve their regular customers. Even companies that have accounts with multiple couriers are being told that can ship maybe 10% higher than normal or something to that effect, but they can't dump everything on them. Whenever the CP dispute is resolved, all those shippers will go back to them and in the meantime, the regular customers that you screwed over with crappy service because you took on too much CP business will also be looking elsewhere.
Dec 18, 2017
532 posts
222 upvotes
London, On
BiegeToyota wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 12:25 pm

Heard on the news today that the Gateway postal sort plant in Mississauga has 260 trailers sitting in the yard full of freight, and that they hope to get through 100 of them by the weekend. They were turning away trucks today. I imagine this is bumping back to the retail outlets being told there is nowhere for their stuff to go so it's not being picked up.