Canada Post workers vote in favour of strike action

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2018 10:40 am
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
3036 posts
1293 upvotes
Vancouver
I have two items were supposed to be "out for delivery" on Wed and Thurs and never arrived. Status update now shows
"Delay in delivery due to external factors
OTTAWA, ON CA"

Does this mean they're lost or will they eventually get to me?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7510 posts
1187 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 12:30 pm
I have two items were supposed to be "out for delivery" on Wed and Thurs and never arrived. Status update now shows
OTTAWA, ON CA"

google the word "delay" to get your answerFace With Tears Of Joy
Jan 19, 2008
398 posts
192 upvotes
Called yesterday they said it would arrive on the 16th. Called today the guy said they now opening an investigation and it would take 5 days. I said it was not good enough. Said he was going to connect me to some investigation department. put me on hold, comes back 5 minutes later telling me they don't work on Sundays. Now I am getting pissed. Then he puts me on with his floor manager. After talking with him for a few minuted and not getting nowhere he tells me the investigation department will call me tomorrow at 4. What a waste of time.

Another order from Gap was suppose to arrive Friday via UPS. Didn't come so I called up gap and they gave me $20% off. That's on top of the 20% off I got on the $100 gift card and the 50% off sale they where having.
Apr 10, 2018
36 posts
2 upvotes
Truthfully, the investigation is not necessary. Canada Post says it would arrive on December 16th. They say that just to shut the complaints up. They do this to silence the public regarding complaints. This kind of claim only calms the customer down for the short term, and in reality, it will likely not arrive until the new year. If Canada Post is going to insist of telling a lie to calm the customer down, it's best to speak the truth. If I was working in a call centre, I would speak the truth, instead of saying things just to calm the person down, because the latter doesn't work, and I do not believe in telling lies.

Some sources say that the backlog may not be cleared until January. The way things are going, January is likely an underestimation, and it may really be February before it's cleared. Just watch.
Dec 18, 2017
296 posts
106 upvotes
JonS51963 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 9:17 am

Some sources say that the backlog may not be cleared until January. The way things are going, January is likely an underestimation, and it may really be February before it's cleared. Just watch.
Canada Post reported today they are all caught up with the exception of the Vancouver area. Suspicious that 3 weeks ago, the backlog was 1.5 million packages, then last week it was 6 million and the world was ending, and now all is good. I think the backlog story was garbage.
Apr 10, 2018
36 posts
2 upvotes
djeffery wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 5:50 pm
Canada Post reported today they are all caught up with the exception of the Vancouver area. Suspicious that 3 weeks ago, the backlog was 1.5 million packages, then last week it was 6 million and the world was ending, and now all is good. I think the backlog story was garbage.
This implies that Canada Post must have temporarily hired thousands of workers to clear the backlog.

Also, regarding pay equity, i read a comment on another source that the rural carriers won't see their pay equity until September 2019. This could imply that there may be layoffs in the new year (likely by April, my best guess), and layoffs are necessary in order to provide pay equity to the rural workers.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1247 posts
307 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Manic1! wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 11:40 pm
Ordered something from the states on Nov 23 via UPS. The company sent it by UPS I parcel. US I parcel just takes items to the border and hands them to Canada Post. Canada Post had no room so it sat at the border for 9 days. Canada post got the item on the 8th. Now it sits at there Richmond warehouse. I was told on the 12 it would arrive by the 13th. Did not show up. So I called and they tell me it will take 1 to 11 business days. What a fkn joke.
at least your tracking works. mine stopped tracking once it left the country (coming from Europe) since then, nothing. apparently, it left for Canada around Nov. 21st. most likely sat at the border at the end of Nov. and should be delivered by Dec. 10. its almost 2 weeks past due date by now. guess i'll file a lost package by week's end
Dec 18, 2017
296 posts
106 upvotes
JonS51963 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 5:30 am
This implies that Canada Post must have temporarily hired thousands of workers to clear the backlog.

Also, regarding pay equity, i read a comment on another source that the rural carriers won't see their pay equity until September 2019. This could imply that there may be layoffs in the new year (likely by April, my best guess), and layoffs are necessary in order to provide pay equity to the rural workers.
Most of the delivery companies have been in hiring mode the last couple years, and Canada Post is the same. Mail volume might be dropping, but package volume has exploded and a person can deliver far fewer packages in a day than they could have delivered mail. That said, most also hire seasonal help that isn't needed after the beginning of the year. Many of these people are only after some Christmas hours anyway, so its not a job loss for them when the work ends after Christmas. I know a guy that retired (from Canada Post ironically) a few years ago and works for UPS for about 2 months leading up to Christmas. Says it's all he wants, keeps him occupied, and doesn't interfere with going south in the winter or to the trailer in summer.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9136 posts
2080 upvotes
Trump Uni Dropout
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 1:23 pm
Difference is China is a 1 party state. When the govt gives a GO, it's national asap. Shovel hits the ground in 2 weeks. Whereas here you have multiple buffoons at multiple levels of govt. Takes 10yrs of "studies" to put the shovel to the ground. Hell, North America STILL doesnt have a high speed rail. In the same time frame China already has a dozen major cities connected. Ridiculous! I was in Shenzhen and took 40 min on a high speed rail going to Guangzhou avg speed some 258 km/hr. Here, that's driving 3-4 hrs. *welp* :twisted:
It happened! The 24 hour standard - Dubai - > France -> TN -> TO in less than 24 hours for $15 shipping! The future is here! :D
You only live twice ǝɔᴉʍʇ 😎
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1381 posts
77 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 1:23 pm
Difference is China is a 1 party state. When the govt gives a GO, it's national asap. Shovel hits the ground in 2 weeks. Whereas here you have multiple buffoons at multiple levels of govt. Takes 10yrs of "studies" to put the shovel to the ground. Hell, North America STILL doesnt have a high speed rail. In the same time frame China already has a dozen major cities connected. Ridiculous! I was in Shenzhen and took 40 min on a high speed rail going to Guangzhou avg speed some 258 km/hr. Here, that's driving 3-4 hrs. *welp* :twisted:
trains in China are really amazing. The stations are huge and clean. And its amazing people are behaving so nice. Not like here. Even people who dont know English were nice. Our Union station is crap. taking train in China is even for long distance is much more comfortable than anywhere here. Once the dust is settled I will visit there again but for long time. I am really impressed.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1381 posts
77 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 12:30 pm
OTTAWA, ON CA"

Yeah I see same message for my package. It is taking more time here in Ottawa than from China to Ottawa. CP is garbage. useless lazy people.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Jan 19, 2008
398 posts
192 upvotes
So according to a higher up at Canada Post who called me 7:58 in the morning, when I told then to call me at 4 P.M. the word item on there website does not refer to my package but in reference to the whole shipment from UPS and that they don't have my package. At least 4 other front-line workers who I talked to on the phone said they have my package. Have been waiting for this item since the 23rd that was shipped via UPS.

Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1806 posts
633 upvotes
Anyone know if there's mail delivery service today 26th?
Dec 18, 2017
296 posts
106 upvotes
Seks wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 10:38 am
Anyone know if there's mail delivery service today 26th?
not scheduled service as it's a stat holiday, but if a particular area is busy, they might have people working.