• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2018 10:40 am
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1381 posts
77 upvotes
krs wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 8:02 pm
Canada Post employees seem to be happier with their pay and benefits than what I read about a lot of other employee reviews
https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Canada-Post/r ... aybenefits

So what exactly are they planning to strike for?
Free Money. And they are unions so they can do anything and anytime they want.
CP employees are wosrt offenders when it comes to parking their vans. You see them at every No Parking sign.
CP employees are above the law.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Dec 18, 2017
296 posts
106 upvotes
retrothing wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 9:45 pm
Canada Post earned a profit of $74 million in 2017. It's a Crown Corporation that provides an essential service -- they ship to many addresses that the big American couriers don't because they're unprofitable, and they'll send a document across the country for as little as $1.

At the end of the day, the question is simple: Would you rather send billions of dollars a year to the USA so that companies like FedEx and UPS can provide extremely expensive parcel service while paying dismal wages to Canadian workers, or would you like to see more affordable delivery and 64,000 Canadians with jobs that pay living wages?
UPS especially, but Fedex and the Canadian courier companies Purolator and Canpar all pay their delivery drivers more than Canada Post carriers make.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3988 posts
427 upvotes
Ottawa
callernamet wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 8:52 pm
Free Money. And they are unions so they can do anything and anytime they want.
CP employees are wosrt offenders when it comes to parking their vans. You see them at every No Parking sign.
CP employees are above the law.
From my experience working downtown, all the package delivery companies park where they're not supposed to. Also, in some cities (such as Ottawa) drivers of delivery vehicles or similar vehicles can get a special permit that allows them to park in "no parking" zones for a short period of time. https://ottawa.ca/en/residents/transpor ... ing-permit
Dec 18, 2017
296 posts
106 upvotes
I'd say everyone parks like morons in downtowns. Look at loading zones, where you have cars parked because they are "only going in to that office for a minute", so they feel they shouldn't have to pay for parking.
Penalty Box
Sep 30, 2011
1546 posts
287 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
retrothing wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 9:45 pm
Canada Post earned a profit of $74 million in 2017. It's a Crown Corporation that provides an essential service -- they ship to many addresses that the big American couriers don't because they're unprofitable, and they'll send a document across the country for as little as $1.

At the end of the day, the question is simple: Would you rather send billions of dollars a year to the USA so that companies like FedEx and UPS can provide extremely expensive parcel service while paying dismal wages to Canadian workers, or would you like to see more affordable delivery and 64,000 Canadians with jobs that pay living wages?
But public union greed is never ending, get paid for living wages is NOT enough, get paid up for what you can hold society as hostage is what union always looking for. Is this not the TTC union tactic ?
For carrying mail that kind of job, skill level, they are way over paid already. Still want to strike, sure, i wouldn't mind hand over $ to american courier.
<No political content in signatures>
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
7034 posts
1227 upvotes
krs wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 8:02 pm
Canada Post employees seem to be happier with their pay and benefits than what I read about a lot of other employee reviews
https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Canada-Post/r ... aybenefits

So what exactly are they planning to strike for?
Its another case of "if you don't ask, you don't get " !
The Canadian government and it's crown corporations all suffer from the same disease. Lets say Canada Post's has an annual budget of $18 billion/year, if they don't use it up the federal government will cut its' budget down to $16 billion the next year and so on the surplus is non transferable to the next operating year's budget. So intelligent managers and directors of government institutions and crown corporations will use up the entire budget by spending on frivolous things when they see a surplus at the end of the budget cycle. I used to work in the government and we would spend like crazy near the end of April which is the end of the budget cycle and the beginning of the new one. New computers and tablets for everyone, $4000 monogrammed leather office chairs for everyone, new monogrammed office carpeting, new monogrammed drapes and $5000 espresso coffee machines etc ...LoL
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7372 posts
4819 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
EdT586 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 12:47 pm
The Canadian government and it's crown corporations all suffer from the same disease. Lets say Canada Post's has an annual budget of $18 billion/year, if they don't use it up the federal government will cut its' budget down to $16 billion the next year and so on the surplus is non transferable to the next operating year's budget. So intelligent managers and directors of government institutions and crown corporations will use up the entire budget by spending on frivolous things when they see a surplus at the end of the budget cycle. I used to work in the government and we would spend like crazy near the end of April which is the end of the budget cycle and the beginning of the new one. New computers and tablets for everyone, $4000 monogrammed leather office chairs for everyone, new monogrammed office carpeting, new monogrammed drapes and $5000 espresso coffee machines etc ...LoL
Well clearly you worked there a long time ago...
Cause that ain’t the way it’s been for at least a decade or two

That and, your memory is questionable...

The Federal Fiscal Year End is at the end of March, not April
:rolleyes:
Dec 18, 2017
296 posts
106 upvotes
EdT586 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 12:47 pm
Canada Post isn't a government department, supported by and subject to the federal budget. They are a self supporting crown corporation and have been for a few decades now.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1381 posts
77 upvotes
djeffery wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 5:29 pm
Canada Post isn't a government department, supported by and subject to the federal budget. They are a self supporting crown corporation and have been for a few decades now.
correct.
On October 16, 1981, the Federal Parliament passed the "Canada Post Corporation Act", which transformed Canada Post into a Crown corporation to create the Canada Post Corporation (CPC). The legislation also includes a measure that legally guarantees basic postal service to all Canadians.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Jun 12, 2018
7 posts
witenite wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 12:53 am
Name a delivery company that provides better service
I use Chit Chats as well for my orders from US and the people over there are great. Their prices are super cheap, less than half of what I used to pay for shipping with CP
Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8479 upvotes
GTHA
rnelson22 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 9:04 pm
I use Chit Chats as well for my orders from US and the people over there are great. Their prices are super cheap, less than half of what I used to pay for shipping with CP
Do you drop your orders at their branch or do they pick it up?
Jun 12, 2018
7 posts
They do pickups but my volume's not that high. I used to go to one of the branches but now I use their drop spot since it's closer. I think you can also mail in your packages to a branch through a local courier service.
May 30, 2015
293 posts
78 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Poutinesauce wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 8:39 pm
They are whining constantly about their work conditions, whereas we that are not on the government's dime often do not get anything remotely as cushy. My sympathy is zero. All they deserve is a special bill to force them back to work. It's an essential service, and they are holding us as hostages. I pay every year for all this with my taxes and I want them to give me my money's worth. I fully support the government in making sure as little more of my money goes to them, seeing how their productivity is already abismally low.

I wouldn't be surprised if they purposefully slowed sorting and delivery of Aliexpress parcels as much as possible just out of spite for us.
I used to work for the government, and nothing would make me laugh harder or get madder than the line "I pay taxes". You want your money's worth? How about they just return the 10 cents they got from you and you leave them alone then? Ever stop to realize they pay taxes too? So really some of the money they make is paid by...themselves, ever think of that?

People are so quick to play this weirdo government card like the jobs are all beautiful. Do you know what they're even asking for? Do you care? Do you have a solution? Do you think they're immune to downsizes and dismissals?

Youre dealing with a institution that historically has been run by the government being taken over by private companies through competition, do you know how complex the issue is? To take something the government did and allow it to be a competitive market? Security issues, monopoly laws, tradition, hundreds of factors come into play when we're talking about mail.

Strike till you get good treatment. Everyone should.
Barter ftw
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
5155 posts
2864 upvotes
1barterer wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 12:00 am
I used to work for the government, and nothing would make me laugh harder or get madder than the line "I pay taxes". You want your money's worth? How about they just return the 10 cents they got from you and you leave them alone then? Ever stop to realize they pay taxes too? So really some of the money they make is paid by...themselves, ever think of that?

People are so quick to play this weirdo government card like the jobs are all beautiful. Do you know what they're even asking for? Do you care? Do you have a solution? Do you think they're immune to downsizes and dismissals?

Youre dealing with a institution that historically has been run by the government being taken over by private companies through competition, do you know how complex the issue is? To take something the government did and allow it to be a competitive market? Security issues, monopoly laws, tradition, hundreds of factors come into play when we're talking about mail.

Strike till you get good treatment. Everyone should.
Yes I have a solution: suck it up like the rest of us, and stop asking for privileges over us, paid for by us!

It doesn't matter how many factors there are. What matters is the bottom line. And the bottom line is that it's an essential service, and that blackmailing the little people to deprive them of something they all depend on is holding them hostage.

The wage parity argument is total bunk, because someone who works for the private sector and works in a rural area, will never get remotely as much as someone in the big city that does the same job. So why should government workers get special privileges? On the back of people who are stuck with less pay and zero retirement?
May 30, 2015
293 posts
78 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Poutinesauce wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 7:51 am
Yes I have a solution: suck it up like the rest of us, and stop asking for privileges over us, paid for by us!

It doesn't matter how many factors there are. What matters is the bottom line. And the bottom line is that it's an essential service, and that blackmailing the little people to deprive them of something they all depend on is holding them hostage.

The wage parity argument is total bunk, because someone who works for the private sector and works in a rural area, will never get remotely as much as someone in the big city that does the same job. So why should government workers get special privileges? On the back of people who are stuck with less pay and zero retirement?
Again paid for by us? They pay taxes too so I guess paid for by them?

Ok we will talk bottom line. Contract negotiations come with reductions of benefits, lack of cost of living increases/wage freezes and outsourced work that costs jobs. So what a worker government or not should just sit down and lose their livelihood ?

If youre truly concerned about service disruption of the government service voice your opinion to your councilor to advocate for fair wage.

You think government work is what a magical beautiful work environment? It's SERVICE and not simply customer service, These jobs, most of them, especially before managerial levels, don't come with col increases, and don't offer room for growth and expansion.

Where as private companies can grow change wages and distribute profits, government distributes service you get back all the tax money in something that benefits you. Which should make you happy since you are all you seem to be concerned about. How this affects you. You don't care about others affected right? Then they should strike, you don't care about them why the heck should they care about you?
Barter ftw