• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2018 10:40 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
5401 posts
3241 upvotes
1barterer wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 10:26 am
Again paid for by us? They pay taxes too so I guess paid for by them?

Ok we will talk bottom line. Contract negotiations come with reductions of benefits, lack of cost of living increases/wage freezes and outsourced work that costs jobs. So what a worker government or not should just sit down and lose their livelihood ?

If youre truly concerned about service disruption of the government service voice your opinion to your councilor to advocate for fair wage.

You think government work is what a magical beautiful work environment? It's SERVICE and not simply customer service, These jobs, most of them, especially before managerial levels, don't come with col increases, and don't offer room for growth and expansion.

Where as private companies can grow change wages and distribute profits, government distributes service you get back all the tax money in something that benefits you. Which should make you happy since you are all you seem to be concerned about. How this affects you. You don't care about others affected right? Then they should strike, you don't care about them why the heck should they care about you?
They are not talking about wage reductions at all, in fact they are talking about significant raises.

We are living in the real world, and in the real world, workers with no college degrees and no special skills get paid low wages, because as workers they are worth less and more easily replaceable. In comparison, governmental no skill blue collar workers get wages comparable to white collars in the private sector. So, forgive me for not having any sympathy for them.

Canada Post, and thus its employees, are accountable to Canadian citizens, because they are the ones footing the bill and it's in their charter. Canadian citizens are sick and tired of continuously paying through the nose for government workers when their wages don't even keep up with inflation, they already are some of the most highly taxed people in the world and they often can't even save anything.

I really miss the Harper government, because Harper wasn't afraid to force these people back to work, and to be accountable to Canadians:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... rkers.html
Nov 23, 2010
206 posts
38 upvotes
Montreal
I am pissed when I read this and I am unhappy to hear about news talking they are having another strike, and this has been happening every year from now, I remembered last years I ordered from primecables for my sit stand desk and fortunately my deals did not got delay like somewhere else because they switch to canpar, but I have heard in case if your order got delayed then it might last 3 weeks, which is totally unacceptable for regular online shoppers like me. This has raised my concern about Canada post, if it's true that CP employees did really suffered from work condition, then it's understandable however, I really do think that the union is try all do everything to threaten company for them to raise the money, I think it's really inappropriate because the online business is one of the reasons for them to stay in business at the same time to survive, and now they are calling another strike to paralyze the business just because they are not happy???!! Really!!??

No matter if you think about both side, the employer or union side, in my opinion having a strike will only lead harm to CP itself, 1) the strike will damage the reputation of CP itself in term of shipping, it will leads question marks for other business to think that whether they should continue using CP, and another competitors like UPS, Canpar will come in to steal the portion of the business, in a long run, it's not in flavorful for CP. 2) For union or employees part, due to the facts that people might have lose some potential for the business, the lose of profits will only guarantee will cp employees will receive a even worse treatment in the treatment in long run. Just my personal opinion but I really do hope that government offer more carrier opportunity instead of monopolizing single company so we can have more option and chooses as a consumer as a whole!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
5401 posts
3241 upvotes
Now two important parcels I have been waiting for have been marked as out for delivery for more than two days straight. I have opened a ticket with Canada Post, but I am sure it is essentially an illusion of safety and when you open a ticket, they don't do jack shit, they don't call anyone to check what the hell is going on, and they just wait and hope someone is somehow going to deliver to them.

I am sure that it's been delayed so much because those union workers already stall parcel delivery on purpose to put pressure on their employer.

If I waited two or more days to do my work, I would lose my job. But since it's a unionized worker, it's ok and no one is responsible. Only the little guy who has no choice but to deal with them is penalized.

I'm starting to like Amazon's use of Intelcom more and more. It's just regular guys with no union using their own cars. You want to whine? You don't want to be productive? You are late for important parcel deliveries that people are waiting for? OUT!
Jan 22, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
Yes, Chit Chats is a really good option besides Canada Post since we're really limited being in Canada. I use them when I can especially for US shipments because it's significantly cheaper and comparing the same service option with Canada Post - I pay much less to have it get to my customer faster with tracking. I was talking to a staff from Chit Chats and she said that they are working on offering an alternative for Canadian shipments since they do use Canada Post so hopefully they come through! Saw this in my newsfeed so seems promising: https://www.bizjournals.com/prnewswire/ ... 9/21/C3097
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1523 posts
1065 upvotes
If deals cannot be reached over the weekend, service will be disrupted as of next Monday

For Immediate Release

Ottawa – The Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) today gave notices to Canada Post that job action will begin next week if agreements cannot be reached for the Urban Postal Operations and Rural and Suburban Mail Carriers (RSMC) bargaining units.

If job action is necessary, rotating strikes will begin at 12:01 am, Monday, October 22. Locations have yet to be determined.

“Our members gave us a clear mandate to take job action if Canada Post refused to address our major issues – health and safety, gender equality and preserving full-time, middle class jobs,” says Mike Palecek, CUPW National President. “Our goal is still negotiated settlements with no postal disruption. This week is Canada Post’s chance to make that happen.”

Key demands for postal workers during this round of bargaining are job security, an end to forced overtime and overburdening, better health and safety measures, service expansion and equality for RSMCs.

The working conditions of postal workers have deteriorated over the last decade in part because Canada Post has failed to properly address the massive increase in parcel volumes and the burden it has placed on members.

Canada Post also needs to address workplace injuries, which over the last two years, have increased by 43 percent. Today, the disabling injury rate for a letter carrier is eight times the average of the rest of the federal sector, which includes longshoring, mining, road transport and railways.

“A Crown Corporation should do better and can do better. Our members deserve better,” says Palecek.
https://www.cupw.ca/en/cupw-issues-stri ... anada-post
Jul 18, 2017
210 posts
165 upvotes
I hate Canada post so much.

Hope they stay on strike and never come back.

With the skill required they are lucky to have any job at all.
Jul 18, 2017
210 posts
165 upvotes
And by the way, I ordered a cell phone from ebay in the US... Now it looks like I'm not going to get it due to the strike.... Thanks Canada Post.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2822 posts
464 upvotes
Water loo
I guess Ontario pot buyers will be getting hosed without canada post.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1523 posts
1065 upvotes
BeverlyHills90210 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 9:27 am
And by the way, I ordered a cell phone from ebay in the US... Now it looks like I'm not going to get it due to the strike.... Thanks Canada Post.
Expected to be a rotating strike meaning some locations at a time. Details are not known yet.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5043 posts
720 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
BeverlyHills90210 wrote:
I hate Canada post so much.

Hope they stay on strike and never come back.

With the skill required they are lucky to have any job at all.
and
You're pretty funny!
So without Canada Post, how do you expect to get your cell phone from the US?
Courier with their guaranteed duty, taxes and brokerage fees?
Aug 21, 2010
122 posts
48 upvotes
toronto
same situation...i have my parcels sent to cbi across the border in niagara falls and i pick it up..no biggie
better things to do, than complain, correct
BeverlyHills90210 wrote:
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2221 posts
274 upvotes
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/i ... li=AAggNb9

Is it time to get rid of Canada Post?
At issue, says the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW), are concerns around health and safety measures, job security, and forced overtime. But at a time when letter mail continues to plummet and Canada Post has no shortage of competitors for parcel delivery -- UPS, Purolator, FedEx -- what will striking actually accomplish?

“I think the biggest fear, and it should be the biggest fear on both sides, is what if we have a strike and nobody notices,” says Alan Freeman, an honorary senior fellow at the University of Ottawa's Graduate School of Public and International Affairs.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1923 posts
101 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 2:04 pm
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/i ... li=AAggNb9

Is it time to get rid of Canada Post?
LOL I am just reading that. my answer is you cant even if you want to. imagine 64000 going on strike can paralyze Canada. We have option but its expensive. Its like few hundread thousand union workers can shut down Ontario if they dont get their way. Thats Canada.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
(borrowed)Not enough bans and the howling monkeys start up about them promoting hate and whatever. howling monkeys or hall monitors?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
1894 posts
549 upvotes
Edmonton
I've lost track of the number of times they've gone on strike in the past decade.

I should try and organize one for my own industry, too - we've been on a pay freeze coming up four years now and it was recently extended another year.