• Dec 26th, 2018 10:40 am
Jul 18, 2017
210 posts
165 upvotes
krs wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 6:42 pm
and

You're pretty funny!
So without Canada Post, how do you expect to get your cell phone from the US?
Courier with their guaranteed duty, taxes and brokerage fees?
I want it it delivered via Canada post. Not strike delay while they sit on their ass. Brokerage fees were included in my price I paid to the ebay vendor.

I hope to never use Canada post again.

If I don't get my phone in say 1-2 months I will do a charge back and order from within Canada...never again Canada post lazy workers.

Well worth it to pay ups or DHL or FedEx or the Amazon private carrier. More $ by a few $ but at least you get your items happily.

Zero trust in Canada post and zero reliability.
Last edited by BeverlyHills90210 on Oct 18th, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 18, 2017
210 posts
165 upvotes
your best bet wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 8:31 pm
same situation...i have my parcels sent to cbi across the border in niagara falls and i pick it up..no biggie
better things to do, than complain, correct
If you can do that, that's ideal. Good riddance to Canada post completely.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11613 posts
3001 upvotes
GTA
Skadefryd wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 2:58 pm
I've lost track of the number of times they've gone on strike in the past decade.
There's been one, 2011.

Not the greatest at the counting, eh?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11613 posts
3001 upvotes
GTA
peli33 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 9:53 pm
Except for the $6 billion pension hole backed by Canadian tax payers.

The reason for that is when CP was made a crown corporation, their pension fund was taken by the government.

Secondly, the deficit only matters if everybody were to retire today. The pension fund is healthy.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17762 posts
1764 upvotes
Space for rent
Poutinesauce wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 8:39 pm
They are whining constantly about their work conditions, whereas we that are not on the government's dime often do not get anything remotely as cushy. My sympathy is zero. All they deserve is a special bill to force them back to work. It's an essential service, and they are holding us as hostages. I pay every year for all this with my taxes and I want them to give me my money's worth. I fully support the government in making sure as little more of my money goes to them, seeing how their productivity is already abismally low.

I wouldn't be surprised if they purposefully slowed sorting and delivery of Aliexpress parcels as much as possible just out of spite for us.
Perhaps it is unfair to bmpaint them all with the same brush. I read in the career forums they are given very tough performance targetd to meet. One deliver x amount of mail in the window of time that is impossible to accomplish unless you are a speed Walker and or give up your breaks which people say it's a right and here we see examples of an employer completely ignoring that.

Anyway I'm not really siding with or against, j think we're all trying to fight or slow down the automation movient that will cannibalize our jobs in one way or another.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
5790 posts
3856 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 7:42 pm
The reason for that is when CP was made a crown corporation, their pension fund was taken by the government.

Secondly, the deficit only matters if everybody were to retire today. The pension fund is healthy.
I can't believe I am reading this. The shortfall has to be compensated for one and, and it is growing significantly year after year.

It's just billions in debt, it doesn't matter. Give me a break!

There are so many people who will be in HUGE trouble if they go on strike, and overwhelmingly it will be the most vulnerable people of society.

It should be illegal to go on strike if you offer an essential service in government. And if you don't like it, you should go to jail, or you should be summarily fired. Just like Ronald Reagan made it illegal to go on strike for air traffic controllers.

My sympathy is ZERO.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4842 posts
1536 upvotes
Winnipeg
peli33 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 5:09 pm
Expected to be a rotating strike meaning some locations at a time. Details are not known yet.
It's a rotational so the union don't have to pay there members..and cupw is no longer a labour union
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14769 posts
5906 upvotes
I hope the Canada Post workers are able to secure a fair and reasonable deal. I do find that they provide pretty good service. I'm thankful for the convenience they provide me with all my RFD Amazon orders. Winking Face
Jan 31, 2016
148 posts
22 upvotes
Arva, ON
Canada Post workers issued a strike notice and if it happens, it's gonna be a Rotating Strike and they will start as of Monday 22 depending on the locations. They haven't issued the locations of the rotating strikes yet.

This is all the information they post on their website, nothing more. My biggest concern is that can I still drop the mails in the post box(red one on the streets) today(as of Sunday right now) and will they still collect the mails on Monday morning?

So, I asked two people one at the post office and another one at the service center. They do share the same information but then also the mixed information for another issue.

- Will they collect the mails in the post boxes on the streets on Monday morning?
In this case, they both said yes. Postal workers will collect the mails in the morning. Afternoon is a different story.

- On Monday, when will they start a rotating strike and when will I know which city or place be affected?
The one at the service center said, at 12 PM on Monday, they will announce a rotating strike. At the same time, they will also announce the cities or places and the the strike will be affected immediately. Furthermore, they are NOT going to tell which city or place will be affected next day.
What the clerk at the post office told me was that they will inform when and where will have a rotating strike before 24hours.

This is all I have so far since I only wanted to know whether the postal workers collect the mails on Monday morning or not. I hope I can get some more information about Rotating Strike from someone who has experienced. Thanks.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10152 posts
7446 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ludwig3 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2018 1:29 pm
Canada Post workers issued a strike notice and if it happens, it's gonna be a Rotating Strike and they will start as of Monday 22 depending on the locations. They haven't issued the locations of the rotating strikes yet.

This is all the information they post on their website, nothing more. My biggest concern is that can I still drop the mails in the post box(red one on the streets) today(as of Sunday right now) and will they still collect the mails on Monday morning?

So, I asked two people one at the post office and another one at the service center. They do share the same information but then also the mixed information for another issue.

- Will they collect the mails in the post boxes on the streets on Monday morning?
In this case, they both said yes. Postal workers will collect the mails in the morning. Afternoon is a different story.

- On Monday, when will they start a rotating strike and when will I know which city or place be affected?
The one at the service center said, at 12 PM on Monday, they will announce a rotating strike. At the same time, they will also announce the cities or places and the the strike will be affected immediately. Furthermore, they are NOT going to tell which city or place will be affected next day.
What the clerk at the post office told me was that they will inform when and where will have a rotating strike before 24hours.

This is all I have so far since I only wanted to know whether the postal workers collect the mails on Monday morning or not. I hope I can get some more information about Rotating Strike from someone who has experienced. Thanks.
The info you have gathered sounds about right
This is indeed how Canada Post Rotating Strikes worked in the past

As for your neighbourhood Red Box...
Again I am not sure what sort of info / guarantee you are looking for
Because you ARE NOT GOING TO GET IT FROM CANADA POST

Part of the whole element of Rotating Strikes is their unpredictability
And the disruption that causes

Even If they are working in your city
There could be slowdowns just the same
(what in the labour world is referred to as Work To Rule)

So although the work gets done... it’s not always done as it was in the past when strike action / labour disputes are not on the table

Honestly the whole thing is going to be just a case of wait & see for the Consumer
You got to make decisions on your own (risk assessment)
If you are looking to mail out a letter or parcel
Knowing that there will be things that effect its timely delivery

If this is such a worry to you... then look at alternatives like Courier companies
Jan 31, 2016
148 posts
22 upvotes
Arva, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Oct 21st, 2018 3:16 pm
As for your neighbourhood Red Box...
Again I am not sure what sort of info / guarantee you are looking for
Because you ARE NOT GOING TO GET IT FROM CANADA POST
At the moment, my only concern was that will postal workers collect the mails from the post box on street tomorrow morning(Monday 22)? It seems that they will do so. Are you saying that, there's a chance that postal workers not collecting the mails tomorrow morning? Those two people I talked could have been lying to me?
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10152 posts
7446 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ludwig3 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2018 3:37 pm
At the moment, my only concern was that will postal workers collect the mails from the post box on street tomorrow morning(Monday 22)? It seems that they will do so. Are you saying that, there's a chance that postal workers not collecting the mails tomorrow morning? Those two people I talked could have been lying to me?
I am not saying they are outright telling you a lie
Just that they might not even know stuff for sure themselves
That’s the power held within Rotating Strikes
Hitting Mgmt when & where they least expect it
Union Bosses keeping ones cards close to ones chest ... until it’s the exact right moment to play one
That’s the power that the union has in causing the disruption
The unexpected

So let’s say the postie who is responsible for that Red Box pick up as part of his / her job, is also to distribute mail to the Super Mailboxes in the same Neighbourhood
That means normally BEFORE they’d hit the streets they’d be expected to sort all the mail destined for those Postal Codes into stacks assigned to each Super Mailbox on that route. And then sort it again at the Super Mailbox by address / customer.
If on Monday they are working to rule... then they may indeed do the sort task first, but be doing it at a much slower pace
So then not getting out on the road until later than normal
If the Red Boxes pick ups are interspersed throughout the route... then the pick ups at them could be delayed as well
Cause if the Postie is on slowdown... then everything takes longer to complete
And at the end of the day... what doesn’t get done... doesn’t get done

Now to be clear... I don’t work for Canada Post
But I have known people who do / have

It is therefore my understanding of how things work
Based on the fact that the average Postie is expected to perform their tasks daily at a high rate of speed / volume
You take away the urgency to get that done... and stuff goes off the rails pretty quick

And from a strike perspective... that’s the whole key to the process
Make it hard to have Mgmt ignore / get the work done on their own
Jan 31, 2016
148 posts
22 upvotes
Arva, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Oct 21st, 2018 4:09 pm
I am not saying they are outright telling you a lie
Just that they might not even know stuff for sure themselves
That’s the power held within Rotating Strikes
Hitting Mgmt when & where they least expect it
Union Bosses keeping ones cards close to ones chest ... until it’s the exact right moment to play one
That’s the power that the union has in causing the disruption
The unexpected

So let’s say the postie who is responsible for that Red Box pick up as part of his / her job, is also to distribute mail to the Super Mailboxes in the same Neighbourhood
That means normally BEFORE they’d hit the streets they’d be expected to sort all the mail destined for those Postal Codes into stacks assigned to each Super Mailbox on that route. And then sort it again at the Super Mailbox by address / customer.
If on Monday they are working to rule... then they may indeed do the sort task first, but be doing it at a much slower pace
So then not getting out on the road until later than normal
If the Red Boxes pick ups are interspersed throughout the route... then the pick ups at them could be delayed as well
Cause if the Postie is on slowdown... then everything takes longer to complete
And at the end of the day... what doesn’t get done... doesn’t get done

Now to be clear... I don’t work for Canada Post
But I have known people who do / have

It is therefore my understanding of how things work
Based on the fact that the average Postie is expected to perform their tasks daily at a high rate of speed / volume
You take away the urgency to get that done... and stuff goes off the rails pretty quick

And from a strike perspective... that’s the whole key to the process
Make it hard to have Mgmt ignore / get the work done on their own
Thanks for the detailed info. I could understand that one can also doesn't have to work at all in the morning. After all, It's only less than 5 hours to go till the strike.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7403 posts
837 upvotes
Toronto
Victoria bc, Edmonton, AB Windsor on and Halifax NS

Are the 4 cities to strike Monday for 24 hours.