Shopping Discussion

Canada Post - Xpresspost - Truck or Mailbox?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2014 3:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
1338 posts
28 upvotes

Canada Post - Xpresspost - Truck or Mailbox?

I ordered a book from chapters.ca last week and it was shipped out on Friday using Canada Post Xpresspost. Canada Post tracking page shows it's supposed to be delivered today. The regular mail guy dropped off my mail in the Canada Post mailboxes on my street this morning but no book.

Does Xpresspost get dropped off in my mailbox or does a Canada Post truck come to my house?
22 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
1329 posts
2 upvotes
felixmo wrote:
Sep 14th, 2009 4:39 pm
I ordered a book from chapters.ca last week and it was shipped out on Friday using Canada Post Xpresspost. Canada Post tracking page shows it's supposed to be delivered today. The regular mail guy dropped off my mail in the Canada Post mailboxes on my street this morning but no book.

Does Xpresspost get dropped off in my mailbox or does a Canada Post truck come to my house?
Truck
Oct 2, 2008
452 posts
61 upvotes
Ancaster
Their estimated delivery dates are all bullsh**t. I ordered a package that was supposed to come on the 9th and it still hasn't been delivered yet.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3967 posts
1140 upvotes
Montreal
Sorry, little off topic....

Have you try the international Xpresspost?

I just sent a parcel to my friend. It was 2.17kg (small parcel weight limit 2kg max). I was told my choice will be Xpresspost or surface mail - cannot send by regular air mail. Fine! Pay extra $20.

When I looked into the status of the package at their website. It shows
- Sept 10th package left from ...
- package arrive (country name) Sept 11th at 9:55pm (Friday night)
- Sept 12th waiting for 2nd delivery attempt
- Sept 13th waiting for 2nd delivery attempt
-...... :confused:

What!!!! 2nd delivery!! That country same here do not delivery mail on Saturday/Sunday. When did they deliver the 1st time? :mad:
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2009
1432 posts
31 upvotes
Riffer wrote:
Sep 14th, 2009 4:55 pm
Truck
Are you sure? cuz I'm pretty sure it gets delivered to the mail box... at least, in my area.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
1338 posts
28 upvotes
Well guess the book isn't coming today :cry:

They just changed the delivery date to tomorrow
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4067 posts
141 upvotes
Peterborough
applecheeks wrote:
Sep 14th, 2009 6:41 pm
Are you sure? cuz I'm pretty sure it gets delivered to the mail box... at least, in my area.
It depends. Sometimes I get it by truck, sometimes they stick it in the box, and sometimes they make me pick it up the same day :D
PSN ID: SaabFanatic
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
1338 posts
28 upvotes
Yay! Got my book :D

The mailman came to my door BTW
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7154 posts
964 upvotes
It depends on the weight. The mail man only carries items up to a certain weight.
Canadian Code of Advertising Standards http://tinyurl.com/48ercz5 Submit advertising complaints http://tinyurl.com/5uxezyk
Deceptive Marketing Practices Under the Competition Act http://tinyurl.com/4coy4qd

There is NO HST on "Free item" or the free part of a "Buy 1 get 1" manufacturer coupon http://tinyurl.com/4ys45jg
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7715 posts
822 upvotes
zoro69 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2009 10:21 pm
It depends on the weight. The mail man only carries items up to a certain weight.
Exactly.

If you're in the suburbs for example with those community mailboxes, they usually have two extra boxes for oversized packages... IF the packages in question cannot fit in those boxes, or IF the package must be signed on delivery, then they will deliver to your door... otherwise it goes in the mailboxes if they fit.

I get Xpresspost packages both ways, games usually fit so they just toss them in my mailbox... I've ordered larger books online before and they take those to my door.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7043 posts
300 upvotes
Vancouver
zoro69 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2009 10:21 pm
Weight=3llbs, or a certain measurement. There is a packateer at every depot that determines the proper letter carrier dimensions. :)
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2945 posts
279 upvotes
I usually just get one of those stupid pick-up notifications and have to go to the Post Office to pick up my package. Both with my Apartment in Ottawa and my House in Toronto.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
202 upvotes
felixmo wrote:
Sep 14th, 2009 4:39 pm

it gets dropped off in the mailbox by the carrier unless it's too big, then the driver takes it.
Discuss everything Travel! - http://www.ineedavacation.ca
Discuss everything Mixed Martial Arts! - http://www.ufctalk.net
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18566 posts
1010 upvotes
It depends on how big the box is, and if it has "no safe drop" checked, and "requires signature" checked.

If the package requires a signature then it comes by truck. if you are not home they leave a door sticky and you have to pick it up at the nearest depot.

If the package doesn't need a signature, and it fits in your mailbox, it will go there. Otherwise (if it is too large), if it has the "safe drop" allowed, he will drop it by your door if he think si tis "secure" (ie, on a front porch, etc). If the "no safe drop" is checked or he does not feel it is a secure area, he will again leave a sticky and bring it to the nearest depot.

Long story short - no package AND no sticky == no attempted delivery by Canada Post.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
× < >