• Nov 10th, 2017 4:00 pm
[OP]
Feb 9, 2013
928 posts
481 upvotes
Ottawa

Canada produces the most garbage per capita in the developed world

https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/artic ... rty-secret

It's truly a shame that our politicians have put environmentalism on the backburner. There are so many countries we could be modeling ourselves after in that regard, but hey, who cares? Caring about the environment doesn't buy votes when people care more about weed, refugees, and tolerance, or religion, lower taxes, and economic development on the other side.

Nova Scotia seems to have a good system, perhaps more provinces should adopt it. Garbage bags are clear, and recycling and composting are forced. If your waste isn't sorted correctly, it will not be collected.
Share:
45 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1196 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
I think we can certainly reduce our consumption a tad, but this piece is just massive hyperbole. And all this vague "save the planet" nonsense (the lazy leftist's guide to moral superiority) is just a huge turnoff from reading. Might as well read a bible if I want to be religious.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2013
928 posts
481 upvotes
Ottawa
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:58 am
I think we can certainly reduce our consumption a tad, but this piece is just massive hyperbole. And all this vague "save the planet" nonsense (the lazy leftist's guide to moral superiority) is just a huge turnoff from reading. Might as well read a bible if I want to be religious.
Why is it nonsense? People all over the political spectrum should be caring about the environment. It impacts all of us. It's backed by hard science instead of the wishy-washy sociology and political science that drives much of our government's decisions. Unfortunately, it's hard to get that message through when people turn it into a left vs right debate.
Mar 1, 2011
384 posts
77 upvotes
Stoney Creek
We produce the most garbage because we probably import the most garbage per capita in the world as well. Just think of all the garbage from Appliances alone. When our washers, dryers, refrigerators, drives and dishwashers were made in Canada they lasted 2-3 even 4 times longer than all this Samsung crap coming from Asia.
My washer and dryer are 26 years old, dishwasher 17 and my refrigerator and stove were both over 20 years old still working, but only replaced due to remodeling. If you want to produce less garbage press the government to focus on bringing manufacturing jobs back to Canada where we can produce high quality again.
Banned
Oct 6, 2017
22 posts
2 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:12 am
Unfortunately, it's hard to get that message through when people turn it into a left vs right debate.
from my observation, the poster you are responding to turns every thread into his personal soapbox to bash "the left", so good luck trying to engage that "thought process" lol.
My OG Rig: Core i7-920 @ 3GHz | 12GB RAM | GTX 560 Ti | 7TB storage
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2946 posts
186 upvotes
Amiga500 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:53 am
from my observation, the poster you are responding to turns every thread into his personal soapbox to bash "the left", so good luck trying to engage that "thought process" lol.
Very good post. How you managed to get the knowledge about that user and determine he bashes Left. Your observation for 3 days right>
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Jul 30, 2010
931 posts
106 upvotes
BigBacala wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:51 am
We produce the most garbage because we probably import the most garbage per capita in the world as well. Just think of all the garbage from Appliances alone. When our washers, dryers, refrigerators, drives and dishwashers were made in Canada they lasted 2-3 even 4 times longer than all this Samsung crap coming from Asia.
My washer and dryer are 26 years old, dishwasher 17 and my refrigerator and stove were both over 20 years old still working, but only replaced due to remodeling. If you want to produce less garbage press the government to focus on bringing manufacturing jobs back to Canada where we can produce high quality again.
+1

The biggest influence that I can see in recent years has been more imported manufactured goods. Everything that used to be built either in Canada or the US lasted a long time; think Sorel boots, Roots clothing, American Apparel, appliance as you mentioned. Samsung fridges die after 4 years, whereas the old school fridges built in the 80s last until today (my dad has one still). I remember a pair of shoes my mom bought me from Value Village when I was 15, and they were already well broken in, which lasted another 5 years after that. That was in the 90s btw. What product can we honestly say is possible to use every single day and have it last more than a year?

I wore to junk a pair of Hush Puppies dress shoes because I wore them every day, and they were nearly destroyed after a year. Rubber on the soles disintegrated, leather wall started to contact the ground. Leather uppers cracked and split. I could say that the majority of junk we probably have going to landfills is simply junk that should have been manufactured to a much higher standard/quality.

Couple this with the fact that repairing something is far less convenient and generally costs the same as just buying a new thing; it goes to the garbage. People buy new cell phones every damn year and practically throw them away. How many iphones with broken screens are tossed instead of fixed? "Time for an upgrade".

Everyone contributes, so the tone of the article (which was a massive word salad and tough to slog through) is pretty deflecting (look at how much garbage we make, but it's not me, it's all you guys). Here in Alberta, we have to separate the garbage from recycling and another container for compost. Doing this reduced my own family's garbage production by one full large bag a week (for 5 people), so that's a positive. But until the manufacturing standards of the products we buy actually improve (it benefits the companies to throw away products and buy new ones), we will continue to have to buy new stuff to replace our broken junk.

We also eat very little packaged food; mostly fresh meat, veggies, fruit, etc. Maybe our culture of instant food boxes needs to die too? No more Michelina's, McDonalds, Delissio, etc. I'm pretty sure that crap is a huge percentage of the garbage we have that other countries/cultures don't because they eat real food.
Last edited by LeisureSuitL on Nov 9th, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9556 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
We also use the most energy (heating, cooling) per capita. That's why it makes me laugh when we try to be 'green' by re-using plastic bags, buying energy efficient lightbulbs, Green Energy, and act holier than thou against the Americans.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6753 posts
973 upvotes
Back on topic, our city went with a 3 bin system finally, with one for garbage, recyclable & the latest composting and the city said it has significantly cut down the overall garbage and garbage going to the landfill.

While I was feeling good about it, I was surprised to find that a lot of smaller towns and other cities had been doing that for a long time. This is the kind of thing all cities should be pushing for but don't.

Then there is also manufacturer that can get away with designing their products to fail way before the useful life so customers will have to buy again. ie. Printers that have a page counter and is often cheaper to buy a new one than the ink cartridges. There should be international laws that governs against such practice and policies.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Aug 21, 2008
538 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
I think as usual the obvious solution to this issue is more taxes. Our fearless leaders need more padding for their offshore bank accounts. Consume, obey and beLIEve.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5966 posts
221 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:12 am
Why is it nonsense? People all over the political spectrum should be caring about the environment. It impacts all of us. It's backed by hard science instead of the wishy-washy sociology and political science that drives much of our government's decisions. Unfortunately, it's hard to get that message through when people turn it into a left vs right debate.
Where's the hard science in any of this? Your article seems to suggest that recycling programs make consumerism worse so shouldn't recycling programs be cancelled in favour of waste reduction strategies based on the "hard science"?
Banned
Oct 6, 2017
22 posts
2 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:00 pm
Where's the hard science in any of this? Your article seems to suggest that recycling programs make consumerism worse so shouldn't recycling programs be cancelled in favour of waste reduction strategies based on the "hard science"?
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

I always assumed it was in order of importance... So there's an implicit understanding that reducing is more effective than recycling.
My OG Rig: Core i7-920 @ 3GHz | 12GB RAM | GTX 560 Ti | 7TB storage
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3650 posts
456 upvotes
todays "packaging" of anything/everything - you need a knife or scissors to open any stupid think ...
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4677 posts
418 upvotes
You can also blame manufacturers , Printer companies who offer cheap printers with ink and then when the cartridges run out its cheaper to throw away a perfectly good printer and replace it rather than just cartridges
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23373 posts
1097 upvotes
Markham, ON
iflyplanes wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:53 am
https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/artic ... rty-secret

It's truly a shame that our politicians have put environmentalism on the backburner. There are so many countries we could be modeling ourselves after in that regard, but hey, who cares? Caring about the environment doesn't buy votes when people care more about weed, refugees, and tolerance, or religion, lower taxes, and economic development on the other side.

Nova Scotia seems to have a good system, perhaps more provinces should adopt it. Garbage bags are clear, and recycling and composting are forced. If your waste isn't sorted correctly, it will not be collected.
dont need to go very far...Markham Ontario has used clear bags for 5 years now.

https://www.markham.ca/wps/wcm/connect/ ... cf47cb5465

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/0 ... dfill.html

(even Halifax is trying to copy Markham: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.4383083)

Most of the waste data is very old...in fact, western Ontario is the laggard, and some of the issues is the lack of data collection. Canada is huge...some areas have better waste management than others.

btw...Markham has a 81% diversion rate...will continue to go higher when textile recycling program is added to data.