Off Topic

Locked: Canada produces the most garbage per capita in the developed world

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 4:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5108 posts
662 upvotes
Agree too much low quality garbage on the market today, nothing is ever built to last because of capitalism and feeding the consumer market.

Appliances were mentioned but same goes to even clothing. Something like Aldo shoes, fairly common I'm sure, will never last more than a year before they are falling apart.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1170 posts
119 upvotes
Logtown
Ziggy007 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:59 pm
Agree too much low quality garbage on the market today, nothing is ever built to last because of capitalism and feeding the consumer market.

Appliances were mentioned but same goes to even clothing. Something like Aldo shoes, fairly common I'm sure, will never last more than a year before they are falling apart.
Well, CSR is a very increasingly implemented concept, so I think consumers are more aware of how companies are taking some form of responsibility for their products. More are, for example, buying back and implementing their own recycling/disposal policies.

So if this sort of thing matters that much to consumers, definitely something to keep track of. However, most people are virtue signaling NIMBYs.. they just want to feel better rather than do better.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16442 posts
1763 upvotes
Montreal
BigBacala wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:51 am
We produce the most garbage because we probably import the most garbage per capita in the world as well. Just think of all the garbage from Appliances alone. When our washers, dryers, refrigerators, drives and dishwashers were made in Canada they lasted 2-3 even 4 times longer than all this Samsung crap coming from Asia.
My washer and dryer are 26 years old, dishwasher 17 and my refrigerator and stove were both over 20 years old still working, but only replaced due to remodeling. If you want to produce less garbage press the government to focus on bringing manufacturing jobs back to Canada where we can produce high quality again.
Then why are we producing more than the US?
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10116 posts
118 upvotes
Amiga500 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:32 pm
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

I always assumed it was in order of importance... So there's an implicit understanding that reducing is more effective than recycling.
“Refuse” should be at the front - don’t buy the crap in the first place.
Jun 5, 2017
127 posts
6 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
we need to be more aggressive in recycling more, make more effort for companies and people to generate less packaging and material and remove all garbage dumps throughout all of canada and replace them with plasmification plants. we should also reach out to our countries and send barges out to clean up all the plastic in the oceans and recycle the plastic. those are just a few ideas.

i care greatly for our environment, more than most anything really and will be advocating more for our useless, stupid political system to do more.

plasmification fyi
link

link

link

link
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
1733 posts
460 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I think we have so much garbage because we buy so much crap. Not only does it not last, but we continue to buy cheap crap that we expect to throw out.

I would pay more to buy an item that would last longer. Not going to happen though, please always want to be buying and capitalists are happy to oblige. We have a serious issue where we buy materialistic items to full something in our lives. I was guilty of it too. Now trying to focus on quality versus quantity.
:D
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
1733 posts
460 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mbg wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:42 pm
“Refuse” should be at the front - don’t buy the crap in the first place.
+1
:D
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3937 posts
522 upvotes
Aurora
Does this include Justin Bieber music?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2298 posts
143 upvotes
Proud to be a Canadian!

w00t w00t
May 8, 2009
1707 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
I remember Penn & Teller's episode calling shananigans on recycling. In fact, I even saw a news report on TV in Ottawa saying the city's green bin (compost) disposal service is too expensive.

I recycle even though I'm inclined to believe that it's a financial and environmental burden to the city. I'm wondering if we stop recycling most materials if we'd save money, and potentially the environment. I'm sure those sorting and recycling plants leave a nasty carbon footprint.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
171 posts
35 upvotes
That's actually a shame. I am amazed how much our planet can take before it says no more.
Justin Trudeau - bankrupting Canada since 2015. And M103 my ass.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1170 posts
119 upvotes
Logtown
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:35 pm
I remember Penn & Teller's episode calling shananigans on recycling. In fact, I even saw a news report on TV in Ottawa saying the city's green bin (compost) disposal service is too expensive.

I recycle even though I'm inclined to believe that it's a financial and environmental burden to the city. I'm wondering if we stop recycling most materials if we'd save money, and potentially the environment. I'm sure those sorting and recycling plants leave a nasty carbon footprint.
Last good series I ever watched on cable (sans the cigarette smoke episode) before I cancelled cable due to it sucking.

Miss P&T:BS.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5966 posts
221 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:35 pm

Even the OP's link points out that recycling isn't all that great. People feel that they have a clean conscience to consume as much as they want because they're recycling.

The focus should be on reducing and reusing. Recycling should be a last resort after you've reduced packaging as much as possible, reduced consumption as much as possible and promoted policies to encourage re-use.

It's like carbon taxes. They don't lower emissions but they make people feel like they're doing something to help so governments push them through.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2502 posts
573 upvotes
Mississauga
Whoever invented the clear plastic, clam-shell packaging that cuts your fingers to pieces when you try to open it should be put on the wall of shame.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Nov 10th, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Violence
May 8, 2009
1707 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:22 am
Last good series I ever watched on cable (sans the cigarette smoke episode) before I cancelled cable due to it sucking.

Miss P&T:BS.
+1

I watched all original seasons off the interwebs, so I never paid for cable TV :D
hugh_da_man wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:34 am
Even the OP's link points out that recycling isn't all that great. People feel that they have a clean conscience to consume as much as they want because they're recycling.

The focus should be on reducing and reusing. Recycling should be a last resort after you've reduced packaging as much as possible, reduced consumption as much as possible and promoted policies to encourage re-use.

It's like carbon taxes. They don't lower emissions but they make people feel like they're doing something to help so governments push them through.
I'm glad that more than one source confirms that recycling is not so awesome.

I "reduce" and "reuse" a fair bit. However, when you have kids, you have no choice but to go through industrial quantities of inventory. I just can't keep up and re-use all the packaging. We use disposable nappies and throw 'em out in garbage bags.

I think consumer "consumption" is trivial compared to industrial. I'm sure certain industries drive a higher carbon tax. I think once we see a majority of vehicles running on electric, we'll see a drastic improvement in air quality.

I know the thread's about garbage but I think pollution in general is directly related to this.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming