• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 4:00 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1471 posts
779 upvotes
BigBacala wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:51 am
We produce the most garbage because we probably import the most garbage per capita in the world as well. Just think of all the garbage from Appliances alone. When our washers, dryers, refrigerators, drives and dishwashers were made in Canada they lasted 2-3 even 4 times longer than all this Samsung crap coming from Asia.
My washer and dryer are 26 years old, dishwasher 17 and my refrigerator and stove were both over 20 years old still working, but only replaced due to remodeling. If you want to produce less garbage press the government to focus on bringing manufacturing jobs back to Canada where we can produce high quality again.
There is a lot of truth in this post. Especially the highlighted statement.

IIRC there are border areas in Canada, that have been IMPORTING US Garbage for years... as in literally their garbage, as they are claiming that they are running out of spaces for landfill.

Want to make a change... then lets start there!

As for Recycling & Composting, I think that some Municipalities are doing a better job than others, especially in regards to the diversity of items they recycle, or how they organize Hazard Waste Depots, Community Yard Sales & Giveaway Days etc.

Could we do a better job... ya for sure.

But overall we do a far better job than south of the border. If one travels, that is the first thing that strikes you... how little goes into their Recycling stream. It is truly shocking if you are at someone`s home or business and ask... Where Does This Go

They look at you like you are an alien with 2 heads... and point to the Garbage Can.

When you have the convo with them (say they are a friend or work colleague) they are truly AMAZED that we have Recycling Streams for so much stuff here (Pop Bottles - PET Plastics - Glass - Tin - Aluminum - Newsprint - Glossy Paper - Wrapping Paper - Fine Paper - Shredded Paper - Cardboard - Boxboard - and Organics... and that is just curbside)

I remember the early 80s before Municipal Recycling, when we had small kiddies... our weekly Garbage produced was HUGE... like 3 or more Green Garbage Bags full. After curbside recycling we got down to one a week. Since Green Bin Organics, the city only picks up Garbage every other week, and we put out a kitchen catcher type bag. Green Bin is every week, Recycling every week alternating Paper with Containers... all of those are full. To think all this used to go into a landfill most of it NEVER to rot away is mind boggling.

Then add in the big stuff as @BigBacala has said... Appliances, Furniture, Building Supplies etc. Again stuff that NEVER rots away.

Its good that more and more places are making and effort to recycle or reclaim from waste... electronics that are taken apart... Appliances, Furniture and Building Supplies that are salvaged. Mind you people have to make the effort to separate their stuff and perhaps call for a pick up etc.

That's the key challenge though... getting people aware & also involved in the process. So it becomes second nature to do it, vs just throwing it out in the trash.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
iflyplanes wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:12 am
Why is it nonsense? People all over the political spectrum should be caring about the environment. It impacts all of us. It's backed by hard science instead of the wishy-washy sociology and political science that drives much of our government's decisions. Unfortunately, it's hard to get that message through when people turn it into a left vs right debate.
A bunch of lefties use this to browbeat me in to paying taxes so they can burn money on their utopia fetish. Ergo I'm opposed. Save the world with your own money and stop begging for mine.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1220 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:23 am
There is a lot of truth in this post. Especially the highlighted statement.

IIRC there are border areas in Canada, that have been IMPORTING US Garbage for years... as in literally their garbage, as they are claiming that they are running out of spaces for landfill.

Want to make a change... then lets start there!

As for Recycling & Composting, I think that some Municipalities are doing a better job than others, especially in regards to the diversity of items they recycle, or how they organize Hazard Waste Depots, Community Yard Sales & Giveaway Days etc.

Could we do a better job... ya for sure.

But overall we do a far better job than south of the border. If one travels, that is the first thing that strikes you... how little goes into their Recycling stream. It is truly shocking if you are at someone`s home or business and ask... Where Does This Go

They look at you like you are an alien with 2 heads... and point to the Garbage Can.

When you have the convo with them (say they are a friend or work colleague) they are truly AMAZED that we have Recycling Streams for so much stuff here (Pop Bottles - PET Plastics - Glass - Tin - Aluminum - Newsprint - Glossy Paper - Wrapping Paper - Fine Paper - Shredded Paper - Cardboard - Boxboard - and Organics... and that is just curbside)

I remember the early 80s before Municipal Recycling, when we had small kiddies... our weekly Garbage produced was HUGE... like 3 or more Green Garbage Bags full. After curbside recycling we got down to one a week. Since Green Bin Organics, the city only picks up Garbage every other week, and we put out a kitchen catcher type bag. Green Bin is every week, Recycling every week alternating Paper with Containers... all of those are full. To think all this used to go into a landfill most of it NEVER to rot away is mind boggling.

Then add in the big stuff as @BigBacala has said... Appliances, Furniture, Building Supplies etc. Again stuff that NEVER rots away.

Its good that more and more places are making and effort to recycle or reclaim from waste... electronics that are taken apart... Appliances, Furniture and Building Supplies that are salvaged. Mind you people have to make the effort to separate their stuff and perhaps call for a pick up etc.

That's the key challenge though... getting people aware & also involved in the process. So it becomes second nature to do it, vs just throwing it out in the trash.
This is why CSR is a thing in 2017.

Can't say its a bad thing, although it can be costly and thus detrimental to businesses without the overhead/economies of scale.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
Amiga500 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:53 am
from my observation, the poster you are responding to turns every thread into his personal soapbox to bash "the left", so good luck trying to engage that "thought process" lol.
+1

Avoid
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
brandonly wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:52 pm
we need to be more aggressive in recycling more, make more effort for companies and people to generate less packaging and material and remove all garbage dumps throughout all of canada and replace them with plasmification plants. we should also reach out to our countries and send barges out to clean up all the plastic in the oceans and recycle the plastic. those are just a few ideas.

i care greatly for our environment, more than most anything really and will be advocating more for our useless, stupid political system to do more.

plasmification fyi
link

link

link

link
+1

Being on RFD I also see the issue - I'm often tempted to buy things that I never thought of before.

Adding to this, the plastic, packaging etc. Anyway, it's really sad because whilst many people care, not enough, so some politicians don't put work into it.

I guess we are all responsible for things too.
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
eldeejay wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:27 pm
A bunch of lefties use this to browbeat me in to paying taxes so they can burn money on their utopia fetish. Ergo I'm opposed. Save the world with your own money and stop begging for mine.
What a negative outlook, eldeejay. Please stop turning everything into partisan politics and recognize the world is not after your money.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1220 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
eldeejay wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:27 pm
+1

Preach it.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
springdays wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:52 pm
What a negative outlook, eldeejay. Please stop turning everything into partisan politics and recognize the world is not after your money.
I'm not being partisan. It's just that lefties are always saying that I have to pay big time taxes to save the environment. I don't want to pay. I'd be a little more upbeat if some politician wasn't trying to steal from me at every turn. And people like you weren't lying to me.
Jul 30, 2010
940 posts
106 upvotes
springdays wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:52 pm
Could have fooled me. NDP comes into Alberta and the first thing they do is raise taxes in every area. Carbon taxes, business tax, income tax. Liberals come into the Federal office and they are scrounging for tax increases everywhere they can (carbon tax, small business taxes, removals of tax exemptions/credits). It seems to me like the government is DEFINITELY after our money.

If the government wants to push one particular pet project or ideology, they can start by cutting government services and government workers first (their voter base!), instead of raising taxes or debt. Let's see how that works out.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1220 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
eldeejay wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:18 pm
I'm not being partisan. It's just that lefties are always saying that I have to pay big time taxes to save the environment. I don't want to pay. I'd be a little more upbeat if some politician wasn't trying to steal from me at every turn. And people like you weren't lying to me.
Not just the taxes. If only you'd adopt their social and economic policies, the planet would be saved already and we'd be living in anarcho-communist utopia.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16624 posts
1039 upvotes
Niagara Falls
This shouldn't surprise anyone, it's been known for a while. I'm not sure how many people read the article, but the issue isn't really residential garbage. Of course here is always more that we can be doing and should be doing.

Most of our waste comes from how we create jobs in Canada. We are a resource heavy country and mining those resources take a significant toll. The country is also extremely spread out and because of that we have higher carbon footprint for transporting good. Canada, obviously as well is colder than most counties and and such we require more resources to keep warm. All of these things lead to more consumption and producing "garbage"
Those truths begin with an awareness that in Toronto, for example, and in other cities, residential waste — basically, all of the rubbish discussed above, including recyclables — makes up a little more than a third of total urban waste. The other two thirds comes from industry, commerce and institution
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
eldeejay wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:18 pm
Yes, eldeejay, lefties are these horrible enemies and they are just out to get you and lie to you. What a sad indictment of your narrow small minded mind set. And yes I am lying to you - newsflash you don't matter and you can keep your small minded cents. :D
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:24 pm
Could have fooled me. NDP comes into Alberta and the first thing they do is raise taxes in every area. Carbon taxes, business tax, income tax. Liberals come into the Federal office and they are scrounging for tax increases everywhere they can (carbon tax, small business taxes, removals of tax exemptions/credits). It seems to me like the government is DEFINITELY after our money.

If the government wants to push one particular pet project or ideology, they can start by cutting government services and government workers first (their voter base!), instead of raising taxes or debt. Let's see how that works out.
Btw keep politics out of this.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Nov 10th, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: foul language
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:56 pm
This shouldn't surprise anyone, it's been known for a while. I'm not sure how many people read the article, but the issue isn't really residential garbage. Of course here is always more that we can be doing and should be doing.

Most of our waste comes from how we create jobs in Canada. We are a resource heavy country and mining those resources take a significant toll. The country is also extremely spread out and because of that we have higher carbon footprint for transporting good. Canada, obviously as well is colder than most counties and and such we require more resources to keep warm. All of these things lead to more consumption and producing "garbage"
That's a good point. I imagine the developed world is pretty on par with rubbish production but I also wouldn't discount residential garbage - I think it all adds up basically
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
springdays wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:38 pm
Yes, eldeejay, lefties are these horrible enemies and they are just out to get you and lie to you. What a sad indictment of your narrow small minded mind set. And yes I am lying to you - newsflash you don't matter and you can keep your small minded cents. :D
I don't think you and Justin are in step with each other. You better report back to mothership. Last time I checked there's a carbon tax coming. Or is that just a joke?