Expired Hot Deals

[Public Mobile] Canada/US talk, text, data plan, 8.5GB 3G speed data in Canada, 2GB data in US, $60 per 30 days

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 4:17 pm
Banned
Nov 23, 2018
592 posts
514 upvotes
I just found 2 things out today (correct me if I am wrong):
1) Former Public Mobile Number is not eligible to be ported back to Public Mobile.
2) Your SIM card will be used once you press the next button. I tried to sign up and then wanted to return to the previous screen to use a different email address. Now I can't even go to the next page citing "Invalid SIM". It worked the first time.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11193 posts
10219 upvotes
BRKAMZN wrote: I just found 2 things out today (correct me if I am wrong):
1) Former Public Mobile Number is not eligible to be ported back to Public Mobile.
2) Your SIM card will be used once you press the next button. I tried to sign up and then wanted to return to the previous screen to use a different email address. Now I can't even go to the next page citing "Invalid SIM". It worked the first time.
PM activation site does not handle session state going back a page. Re-start your browser and start over again to start with a fresh session.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone
Apr 23, 2007
228 posts
98 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I tried Wind when they just started few years ago. I have to quit because of their bad coverage at the time. With Shaw, they changed their name to Public, but how about the coverage? Do you still have to pay for "away" minutes? Sry if my question looked very dumb. My main usage would be in BC (urban area and rural on road trips) and WA, US occasionally.

Thanks!
Jul 21, 2019
136 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
tomkuang wrote: I tried Wind when they just started few years ago. I have to quit because of their bad coverage at the time. With Shaw, they changed their name to Public, but how about the coverage? Do you still have to pay for "away" minutes? Sry if my question looked very dumb. My main usage would be in BC (urban area and rural on road trips) and WA, US occasionally.

Thanks!
You might be confusing Public Mobile with Freedom Mobile. Wind Mobile was renamed to Freedom Mobile and acquired by Shaw, whereas Public Mobile was acquired by Telus.
Public Mobile's coverage is done through the Bellus network, so you'd get coverage anywhere you would with Bell or Telus.

Away minutes are a Freedom Mobile thing. For Public Mobile, if you pick one of their pre-built plans, they all have Canada-wide minutes. You can also build your own plan, with the option to choose province-wide minutes.

If you're only going to the US occasionally, you should take a look at their 10-day US roaming addons.
Last edited by ledasulu on Jul 25th, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 21, 2019
136 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Like what embguy suggested, you should try the activation again in a fresh incognito/private browsing session.
Also, you could always change the email address on the account by messaging the moderators.
Apr 23, 2007
228 posts
98 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ledasulu wrote: You might be confusing Public Mobile with Freedom Mobile. Wind Mobile was renamed to Freedom Mobile and acquired by Shaw, whereas Public Mobile was acquired by Telus.
Public Mobile's coverage is done through the Bellus network, so you'd get coverage anywhere you would with Bell or Telus.

If you pick one of their pre-built plans, they all have Canada-wide minutes. You can also build your own plan, with the option to choose province-wide minutes.

If you're only going to the US occasionally, you should take a look at their 10-day US roaming addons.
Right, I got confused by Wind and Freedom. They came out around the same time but Wind lived a little longer. Bellus has better reception than Rogers in rural area of BC.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2056 posts
3160 upvotes
No to both points.

Former Public Mobile phone numbers can be ported back at any time. There no restriction on this.

As for the invalid sim card message, the sim card number will be accepted again after a little more than an hour.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8561 posts
1029 upvotes
tomkuang wrote: Right, I got confused by Wind and Freedom. They came out around the same time but Wind lived a little longer. Bellus has better reception than Rogers in rural area of BC.
You're still confused, no joke.
Aug 7, 2018
25 posts
7 upvotes
^to his point, freedom is wind. Wind was rebranded into freedom
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8561 posts
1029 upvotes
Sephur wrote: ^to his point, freedom is wind. Wind was rebranded into freedom
You are confusing him :)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19293 posts
7408 upvotes
Toronto
Why the huge tutorial on what Wind/Freedom is here? This has nothing to do with Public Mobile. Best way to avoid this confusion is just to sign up with Public Mobile. They are neither Wind nor Freedom.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $10/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6145 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
Paying $45 for 8gb with fizz unlimited calls and same speed data in Canada and US...
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2056 posts
3160 upvotes
greg123 wrote: Paying $45 for 8gb with fizz unlimited calls and same speed data in Canada and US...
That's not bad. Unfortunately with Fizz, people can only get phone numbers for part of the country.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
Jul 21, 2019
136 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
computergeek541 wrote: That's not bad. Unfortunately with Fizz, people can only get phone numbers for part of the country.
I was under the impression that Fizz was only for Montreal and Ottawa, no?
Did they stop halting your service if you continually used it on their partner networks?