Expired Hot Deals

[Public Mobile] Canada/US talk, text, data plan, 8.5GB 3G speed data in Canada, 2GB data in US, $60 per 30 days

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 4:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19295 posts
7411 upvotes
Toronto
DealCanuck wrote: At 3G speeds and forum only support which takes 3 days at least for a reply
The 3 day response time is a bit misleading. It's not live chat but I have been able to obtain first contact within one day everytime. Three is three interactions in the past 4 days were all completed within the same working day. The most recent was about 3 hours.

Not going to debate the speed throttling. It can turn into a spitting contest. I will say this much. People I refer to this service generally do not leave.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $10/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Dec 30, 2013
47 posts
17 upvotes
VANCOUVER
will888 wrote: I will say this much. People I refer to this service generally do not leave.
I second that! People that I have referred have stayed more than six months and counting.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
2107 posts
823 upvotes
London
My other half is a crazy snap, gram, YouTube whatever it is these days. She somehow uses almost all her data (6GB) in a month with 3G speeds, and I've never had her complain. I believe 3G on PM is more than enough. I've had 3G on Rogers.... And that was rough. It's completely different here. Anyone worried about that speed really shouldn't unless you Hotspot and have like 3 devices connected to it maxing out the speed!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3435 posts
3049 upvotes
Muskoka
Poutinesauce wrote: Horrible deal, much better to just get Roam Mobility.
This plan is not for vacationers or one time visits. This is for people who regularly cross over and get to use their Cdn number and not have to worry about changing SIMs. It is not a horrible deal.
Koodo
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2066 posts
3178 upvotes
datako wrote: My other half is a crazy snap, gram, YouTube whatever it is these days. She somehow uses almost all her data (6GB) in a month with 3G speeds, and I've never had her complain. I believe 3G on PM is more than enough. I've had 3G on Rogers.... And that was rough. It's completely different here. Anyone worried about that speed really shouldn't unless you Hotspot and have like 3 devices connected to it maxing out the speed!
People who are worried about "3g" speed should try the "3g" network. They might be pleasantly surprised at how good it can be.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7270 posts
4732 upvotes
Canada
They should stop calling it 3g. It's confusing and misleading.
Need better marketing. Call it LTE lite or 3mbps LTE.
Tangerine, Public Mobile, and Freedom Mobile customer
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19202 posts
2419 upvotes
Niagara Falls
computergeek541 wrote: People who are worried about "3g" speed should try the "3g" network. They might be pleasantly surprised at how good it can be.
It appears that Public Mobile's "3g" network is capped at 3Mbps.
Just did a speedtest on my Rogerse device and its 55.5Mbps down.

That's a significant difference.
3G vs. 4G LTE

We offer data at two different speeds, both great options depending on your phone usage. Opt for 3G if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web. If you’re looking to do all the above plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories with a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you
https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... 467#M43800
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19295 posts
7411 upvotes
Toronto
Evil Baby wrote: It appears that Public Mobile's "3g" network is capped at 3Mbps.

If you put the phone in 3G only mode, you get full hspa+ speed which is way faster than 3 mbits/s. BTW, your point that 55 mbits >> 3 mbits is not informative. The question is really whether 3 mbits/s is a reasonable speed for typical mobile data usage. If it is, then the extra speed is meaningless. If you really like speed for the sake of speed, you should switch the a Bellus service. They blow Rogers out of the water in most locations.
Tangerine Bank
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11210 posts
10228 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote: They should stop calling it 3g. It's confusing and misleading.
I like 3mbps LTE which implies 3mbps speed with LTE latency.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19295 posts
7411 upvotes
Toronto
RFDQ1016 wrote: They should stop calling it 3g. It's confusing and misleading.
Blame it on the competition in the tier 3 arena. Public Mobile used to sell full speed LTE plans only. Once it was decided Chatr is the competition, they had to follow with the same marketing schtick so as to prevent a competition war that none of the monopoly players want.
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19202 posts
2419 upvotes
Niagara Falls
will888 wrote: If you put the phone in 3G only mode, you get full hspa+ speed which is way faster than 3 mbits/s. BTW, your point that 55 mbits >> 3 mbits is not informative. The question is really whether 3 mbits/s is a reasonable speed for typical mobile data usage. If it is, then the extra speed is meaningless. If you really like speed for the sake of speed, you should switch the a Bellus service. They blow Rogers out of the water in most locations.
Lets not pretend like 55Mbps is barely quicker than 3Mbps. That is a significant difference. 3Mbps isn't even recommended for 1080p streaming, nevermind 4K streaming if you wanted. Its also not like services aren't going to get more bandwidth intensive.

If 3Mbps is good enough for you thats great. This actually seems like a very decent plan if you travel to the U.S. a lot. I'd love to have a real Canada / US plan. I just hate Canadian telecoms and how they throw this sort of garbage at consumers.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2066 posts
3178 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: It appears that Public Mobile's "3g" network is capped at 3Mbps.

You shouldn't believe everything that someone or a company tells you. I was playing with words. Read between the lines: As above from @will888, the LTE network is capped at 3Mbps for "3g" plans.

Hypothetically speaking, would you be happy with 35Mbps?
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB