Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
2191 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto

canada, we take everyone!

im usually pretty liberal when it comes to helping people out... but damn, where do you draw the line??
http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/family-arrives ... -1.3581810

this family sold all their shit in bahamas, bought a plane ticket to Toronto... and now they are here stuck in the airport..... is this for real......... like why the hell did we not just put them back on a plane and send them home??

they have a go-fund-me??? what the hell is this shit...

more importantly, why is this even on the news? like i dont get it.. every family that has a problem, we have to read about it??
Share:
27 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
2191 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
family seems pretty well fed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
2191 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
The face of Canada's new refugee crisis:

Diabetes.
Images
  • peoples.png
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4860 posts
736 upvotes
Dude...that news article has a link to the mom's e-mail. I wonder if they will receive hate mail... (don't be mean, sirex!)

I don't like Canada's leaky border policies either, but that's up to us to fix. I find it hard to blame the individuals or families, especially the ones fleeing legitimate problems like a devastating storm.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3652 posts
456 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 12:47 pm
Dude...that news article has a link to the mom's e-mail. I wonder if they will receive hate mail... (don't be mean, sirex!)

I don't like Canada's leaky border policies either, but that's up to us to fix. I find it hard to blame the individuals or families, especially the ones fleeing legitimate problems like a devastating storm.
LOL ... +1
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
2191 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not the type to send hate mail.. I didn't even know the email was on there, good catch.

That being said, yeah our border service should turn them right around.

Bro how is your country going to rebuild, if every one flees.... This is the problem with these people.... Even with refugees.... Dude, if EVERYONE FLEES, the rebels/opposing side wins. In case of storms/ I get it too.. but what they going to setup life here now?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26234 posts
6069 upvotes
GTHA
sirex wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 12:31 pm
they have a go-fund-me??? what the hell is this shit...
Update from the Rev. John Gargis who had setup this 'fundraising campaign'

23725048_1504899454.1412.jpg

My name is Rev. John Gargis and I have been friends with Desiree for several years. I first met Desiree and her son during their stay in Knoxville.

My wife and I covered Desiree's original cost to evacuate Nassau. I initially set this page up to recover the cost of the tickets and the wire . I was able to send the link to friends and family that wanted to support this special lady.

Friday, I sent additional money due to the fact Desiree and her sons were stuck at the airport with no food and no place to go.

I called many church's in the area, the Embassy and in desperation the Television station. I let Desiree know of all of these calls. So, when she saw a reporter in the airport, she approached him .

Somehow, the generous people of Toronto heard of this site and it took off. Every penny over the budget (the cost we incurred minus our gift) will be wired directly to Desiree.

If anyone is skeptical, I will be happy to post pictures of tickets and Western Union (past and future).

This is a good story . A story of the love of a family and a kind city .

I turned off the posting of comments due to many dark messages from strangers. Again this is a good story.

Thank you Toronto! You have an amazing heart.
Help spread the word!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4860 posts
736 upvotes
The CTV story said that a third son was left behind because they couldn't afford it.
Johnson says she wants an opportunity for two of her three sons to start a new life. Her third son was left behind in Bahamas, as the family didn’t have enough money to escape all together.
On GoFundMe it's
We charged tickets to allow Desiree and her 2 sons toleave Nassau before the Hurricane. We then sent money for food and hotel in Toronto.
So the family couldn't afford the ticket, or the Reverend couldn't?
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
171 posts
35 upvotes
They are smart. They know that just like Germany we don't have borders so they came here. The process is

1 come here
2 claim refugee status
3 stay here two years while refugee status is being processed
4 find out refugee status is denied
5 cry to media that they have significant ties with Canada now that they have spent two years of their lives here
6 Get their diabetes cured on taxpayers money (it looks like there was no shortage of food where they came from)
7 Get citizenship
8 Get apologies from Junior
9 (a bonus) attack a soldier and get $10.5m from Junior

After all, diversity is our strength!
Justin Trudeau - bankrupting Canada since 2015. And M103 my ass.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
2191 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
heynayjk wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:12 pm
They are smart. They know that just like Germany we don't have borders so they came here. The process is

1 come here
2 claim refugee status
3 stay here two years while refugee status is being processed
4 find out refugee status is denied
5 cry to media that they have significant ties with Canada now that they have spent two years of their lives here
6 Get their diabetes cured on taxpayers money (it looks like there was no shortage of food where they came from)
7 Get citizenship
8 Get apologies from Junior
9 (a bonus) attack a soldier and get $10.5m from Junior

After all, diversity is our strength!
this is so freaking ******** man..

like I'm freaking here, busting my ass 830 to 5, 2 hours in traffic per freaking day.. climbing some bullshit corporate ladder.... paying a mortgage,.... like I barely get to enjoy my freaking life because after working 40+ hours a week, with commute and stress and shit... all I want to do is come home and relax...

me taking a trip to mexico, or carribena, or bahamas, or bermuda, is something I do ONCE A YEAR, which nearly breaks the bank.... My costs are going up every freaking year.... apparnelty canada's GDP is doing so good, yet my raise is less than 2% a year....

and this is the shit that our money goes too. My 40% taxes go to bringing these people over...

like ya man.. damn I feel bad... you know it sucks to be less fortunate. it sucks to have a house wiped out by a hurricane... But somehow you get to skirt all our laws, whatever... show up in a Canadian airport... Give a sob story about your family... and boom presto,, you are in....

I get it, my family was immigrants too... but they didn't use a sob story to get in.... like damn I know it's 2017 and my heart goes out to the people that struggle in this day and age around the world.... it's always shittier somehwere else... but where do we draw the line?

i wonder if the people in fort mcmurray got the same amount of help when their places were burnt down.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26234 posts
6069 upvotes
GTHA
peanutz wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:01 pm
The CTV story said that a third son was left behind because they couldn't afford it.

On GoFundMe it's

So the family couldn't afford the ticket, or the Reverend couldn't?
Updated CTV news article says "The third son, a 27-year-old man, lived on another island and didn’t have the money to join them."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/family-in- ... -1.3582342

Update from the Reverend
My wife and I covered Desiree's original cost to evacuate Nassau. I initially set this page up to recover the cost of the tickets and the wire . I was able to send the link to friends and family that wanted to support this special lady.
You can contact him directly for an answer to your question.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3095 posts
224 upvotes
London, EU
Well prior to the 1960's, as long as you were white, you were automatically allowed with no questions asked. No need to apply for any visas either. That's probably how your families got in.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8309 posts
1797 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
heymikey wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 3:09 pm
Well prior to the 1960's, as long as you were white, you were automatically allowed with no questions asked. No need to apply for any visas either. That's probably how your families got in.
Other than your imagination, where did the op state that his/hers parents were white? In addition, you may need to provide supporting evidence to your blanket claim on "whites being accepted no questions asked"

Sure seems like you are trying to turn this thread into "visible minority vs whites" thread, which originally was about ease of obtaining refugee status.
Sep 1, 2013
383 posts
89 upvotes
Mississauga
Why didn't this Reverend in Knoxville buy them tickets to the US, instead? And invite them into his own home and take on the cost himself? Instead, he sends them our way and expects Canada to foot the bill. Absolutely incredible.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
2191 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
heymikey wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 3:09 pm
my parents came in the late 70's, and they are not anglosaxon.