• Nov 10th, 2019 9:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14400 posts
4229 upvotes
Here 'n There

Canada-wide investigation reveals dangerous levels of lead in tap water

You might want to have your tap water tested. Another incredible piece of investigative journalism from the Toronto Star and why I support this paper with a subscription:

https://www.thestar.com/news/investigat ... metal.html
50 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11104 posts
864 upvotes
Brampton
I get the same report from global news with no subscription.

global news

Prince Rupert is really bad. Hope everyone is at least using a Brita water filter out there.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8462 posts
1008 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Same in Montreal. Lead was the industrial standard for quite some time so any older cities and buildings will be affected.

Most municipalities have or are taking steps to remedy their older plumbing but anything relating to your property you need ot check with your city. For example in Montreal, anything beyond the entrance way to your property/building's plumbing is the responsibility of the owners.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11104 posts
864 upvotes
Brampton
laziguy wrote:
Nov 4th, 2019 5:25 pm
how is Toronto's water?
It has lead.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Nov 2, 2010
737 posts
128 upvotes
Oh yeah and they tell us drop water bottles?
Hell no I won't stop buying them
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5201 posts
403 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Nov 4th, 2019 11:04 am
You might want to have your tap water tested. Another incredible piece of investigative journalism from the Toronto Star and why I support this paper with a subscription:
In fairness to The Star, some of their investigative pieces are interesting (but hardly incredible), but they really damage their credibility with their mean spirited vendetta against Doug Ford.
Oct 14, 2017
419 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
It also contains Hexafluorosilicic acid which is a toxic industrial waste, that's suppose to be good for your teeth but you drink it and bathe in it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14400 posts
4229 upvotes
Here 'n There
CheapScotch wrote:
Nov 4th, 2019 7:42 pm
In fairness to The Star, some of their investigative pieces are interesting (but hardly incredible), but they really damage their credibility with their mean spirited vendetta against Doug Ford.
Mean spirited? Hardly. They have been extremely fair with him. I'm surprised they go so lightly on him.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1452 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
I've been telling people this for years, in every bottled water thread where people say tap water is safe to drink, along side many threads in home and garden glad to see this is finally getting the light it deserves.
Jan 2, 2019
151 posts
9 upvotes
So I shouldn't be drinking Toronto tap water, even if I use a Brita water filter?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1452 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
laziguy wrote:
Nov 4th, 2019 9:26 pm
So I shouldn't be drinking Toronto tap water, even if I use a Brita water filter?
Hard to say because lead isnt the only thing you should be worrying about, a robust filtration system is what is needed.

If you're looking solely at removing lead Pur is the leader but I have heard that Brita does have a filter that rivals Pur. Important to keep in mind Pur removes more contaminants than Brita but does filter slower.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1452 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote:
Nov 4th, 2019 9:58 pm
Bottled water is usually tap water from some city somewhere. It probably has as much lead as your tap water.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 50841.html
As with everything if you're going to purchase bottled water you should be informed of its source as many come from natural sources and are not tap water. The cheapest in Canada I'd say is Nestle which they pump out of natural sources, as many upset Southern Ontarians can attest.

As I suggested before a robust water filtration system is best.